Zeppelin and Paul Rogers?

Athel

So the other day I was talking to a buddy who was asking me about who the best front man would be for a reunion tour besides Plant. He said Paul Rogers. I think that would suck personally, no disrespect to Paul Rogers but I just don't feel like he could fill those shoes. I'm thinking Justin King from Athel would probably be a much better fit. Who would be your pick? I was also thinking Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother would be a sick fit as well.

Respond and let me know

A

So the other day I was talking to a buddy who was asking me about who the best front man would be for a reunion tour besides Plant. He said Paul Rogers. I think that would suck personally, no disrespect to Paul Rogers but I just don't feel like he could fill those shoes. I'm thinking Justin King from Athel would probably be a much better fit. Who would be your pick? I was also thinking Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother would be a sick fit as well.

Respond and let me know

A

Rod Stewart, hands down.

Totally irreplaceable - the only remote possibility is dead - Mercury!

Respond and let me know

A

I'm thinking this is probably the best fit vocally but as a lead singer only I'm curious to see how Stockdale would do haha.

If this was to ever happen Andrew Stockdale would get my vote

Hmm, he did do a great job with the Doors re-union so I'm inclined to think it would be a great fit as well. The Cult had a mystique about them that definitely was reminiscent of Zep

Ian Astbury anyone??!!:_):):)

Paul Rodgers would be probably my last choice.. yes he's amazing singer, but I agree that he and Jimmy didn't mesh that well in The Firm. I'll never forget when I saw The Firm (Worcestor Mass 1st tour) Jimmy was going off in a improvised solo...... PR walked right over and nudged him with his mike stand ... like saying "cut the crap".... Killed it for me right there.... And I was a huge Bad Company fan... After that, he always reminded me of a hard rock version of Neil Diamond... must say I became a huge Chris Slade fan though...great Drummer

I never liked the idea of PR in Queen either.

Maybe JPJ could talk Diamanda Galas into doing it...

I really can't think of anyone who could replace Robert.

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but that wasn't the idea, and they didn't call it Queen. I think they just enjoyed working together, so they basically did it for fun, but with names like these it's always going to be a big thing.

I don't want to be overly pedantic, but that wasn't the idea, and they didn't call it Queen. I think they just enjoyed working together, so they basically did it for fun, but with names like these it's always going to be a big thing.

Fair enough. They called it Queen and Paul Rodgers.

I don't disagree. As I said, Paul Rogers is a horrible choice for a Zep front man and I personally think it would suck. Queen and Paul was a bit of a nightmare. Paul has his place in rock and rock and it's not with Queen, or any other soprano singing gods like Plant or the like. And I do agree it's not Zeppelin without Plant but lets get real, would you rather never see Jimmy and John Paul on stage again or would you rather see them together with Jason and a new front man? I tend to side with the latter on this one. I really think Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge would do great as well. Who would you choose?

I am going to agree with many and say that it is not, could not be Led Zeppelin without the late and great Mr. John Henry Bonham. Although Jason Bonham is the obvious "heir apparent", so I could acquiesce on that matter. With that being said, it definately would not be Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant.

Of course I have my own opinions. I would pay dearly and love to see Mr. Page, Mr. Jones and Mr. Jason Bonham on stage together playing Led Zeppelin music, even without Mr. Plant. Would I consider it to be "Led Zeppelin", NO, because we all know that it is not Led Zeppelin. Would I love to hear them play Led Zeppelin songs with another singer? YES. Why not? I have seen Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes, Jason Bonham all Live in concert and I loved it every time one of them played a Led Zeppelin song. So did everyone else. The reason is because everyone at all these concerts LOVE LED ZEPPELIN.

Finally, I realize that this will never happen, but if I HAD to choose a singer that I thik could make the Music of Page/Jones/Bonham(Jason) very enjoyable together, I think I would have to pick Chris Robinson (from the Black Crowes). I have seen him sing Led Zeppelin songs live in concert with Jimmy Page and I also own 3 different Jimmy Page and the Black Crowes concerts on Dvd. Obviuosly He does not have Robert Plant's unique voice but He seems to know all of Robert Plants words and lyrics.

Again, I realize many will not and do not agree with me but that is why I mentioned that I have my own Opinions. So does everyone who reads this post.

From an interview with Chris Robinson from the NY Rock website:

How did your collaboration with Jimmy Page in 2000 come about?

We knew Jimmy; he sat in with us in Paris many years ago when a benefit came up and we played four or five songs together. It went really well and they were like, let's do some more dates. It just kind of happened like that. People started to say, "we can sell this." So they did. It was all right.

It must have been unbelievable playing with Page.

It was probably more fun for the other people. I didn't really have that much fun doing it. I mean it was all right and Jimmy's a phenomenal guitarist, but to me it was just a job. I'm not a big fan of Robert Plant's lyrics or his singing, so that part of it was a little boring for me.

I didn't care for the Paul Rodgers/Queen collaboration. I think The Cult is one of the most under-rated rock bands of all time, but Ian is NOT a fit with the rest of Zep. If ANY name rock/blues singer is to front the rest of the band, my vote would be Glenn Hughes.....although personaly, I'd rather see a "no name" singer and pray they don't call it "Zep" in any form.

I thought that Paul Roger's work with Brian May and Roger Taylor did work. (I never expected it to work)

I liked their studio cd and also the fact that they had no extra musicians on the record. The band was only the three of them. (Shared duties on bass and keyboards) Surprisingly, I thought their styles worked pretty well together. (I'm probably in the minority on this view)

I thought that Paul Roger's work with Brian May and Roger Taylor did work. (I never expected it to work)

I liked their studio cd and also the fact that they had no extra musicians on the record. The band was only the three of them. (Shared duties on bass and keyboards) Surprisingly, I thought their styles worked pretty well together. (I'm probably in the minority on this view)

There's no doubt that those 3 guys working together would sound very good, I liked what I heard of it too.

but, I'd much rather have seen it called

Rodgers Taylor May

or Taylor May Rodgers

or May Rodgers Taylor..... etc

The name Queen should be put to rest.

Freddie Mercury was by all accounts too major a part of the band.

There's no doubt that those 3 guys working together would sound very good, I liked what I heard of it too.

but, I'd much rather have seen it called

Rodgers Taylor May

or Taylor May Rodgers

or May Rodgers Taylor..... etc

The name Queen should be put to rest.

Freddie Mercury was by all accounts too major a part of the band.

Totally agree. In fact they could have called themselves Smile + Paul Rogers. (A three piece prior to Queen with Tim Staffell, Brian and Roger)

Archived