2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

^Only team I have any slight interest in is Baltimore at this point. Always liked em'. (Still can't believe the scenario Saints coulda been in....FUUUUUCK!!!!)

I am proud that The Giants got it done for the sole reason of that fuckin stupid commercial "Discount Double Check" shit with Aaron Rodgers and the SB belt motions....karma's a bitch!

The Vegas lines are out.

San Fran -3 vs NY Giants O/U 43 1/2

New England -7 1/2 vs Baltimore O/U 50

I put in an early parlay and took the 49ers and Baltimore. I believe we may see a Harbaugh Bowl and two brothers going at it. I am certainly not sure.. New England may win. But I am more confident in San Fran winning it all. And I bet the Giants today remember.

My first instinct is to go with the 49ers and New England. But as these playoffs have shown, DEFENSE still wins in the playoffs.

Teams were lighting up the scoreboard during the regular season...New Orleans and Green Bay looked like offensive juggernauts...but come the playoffs, defense still matters.

The temptation is to be bedazzled by the Patriots 45-10 pounding of Denver...and the fact that the Patriots will be at home. But make no mistake, Baltimore's defense is light years better and more playoff tested than Denver's.

Baltimore will be able to run on New England, which shortens the game and sets up Baltimore's play-action. And unlike Tebow, Flacco can make the throws. Baltimore has beaten New England at New England before...in the playoffs, no less.

My only concern is Ed Reed...he looked shaken up on that last play. If he's not 100%, that puts a crimp in what Baltimore does defensively to stop Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Brady looked unstoppable against Denver, but Denver put no pressure on Brady whatsoever. We've seen, however, what happens to Brady when he gets pressured...Baltimore and the Giants in the Super Bowl made him look mortal.

If you think Baltimore won't be able to mount a pass rush on Brady, then by all means, take the Patriots. But I believe "defense wins championships", and Baltimore's D is championship-worthy.

It's not going to be easy...beating Brady and Belichick never is. But I think this is the year Harbaugh and Baltimore break through, and I think players like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed sense that time is running out, that it's this year or bust. They ain't getting any younger.

I'm taking Baltimore...but only if Ed Reed is playing.

As for San Francisco vs. NY, I like what the other Harbaugh is doing, too...but I'm going to need a little more time to sort this matchup through my head before I make a pick.

My first instinct is to go with the 49ers and New England. But as these playoffs have shown, DEFENSE still wins in the playoffs.

Teams were lighting up the scoreboard during the regular season...New Orleans and Green Bay looked like offensive juggernauts...but come the playoffs, defense still matters.

The temptation is to be bedazzled by the Patriots 45-10 pounding of Denver...and the fact that the Patriots will be at home. But make no mistake, Baltimore's defense is light years better and more playoff tested than Denver's.

Baltimore will be able to run on New England, which shortens the game and sets up Baltimore's play-action. And unlike Tebow, Flacco can make the throws. Baltimore has beaten New England at New England before...in the playoffs, no less.

My only concern is Ed Reed...he looked shaken up on that last play. If he's not 100%, that puts a crimp in what Baltimore does defensively to stop Welker, Hernandez and Gronkowski.

Brady looked unstoppable against Denver, but Denver put no pressure on Brady whatsoever. We've seen, however, what happens to Brady when he gets pressured...Baltimore and the Giants in the Super Bowl made him look mortal.

If you think Baltimore won't be able to mount a pass rush on Brady, then by all means, take the Patriots. But I believe "defense wins championships", and Baltimore's D is championship-worthy.

It's not going to be easy...beating Brady and Belichick never is. But I think this is the year Harbaugh and Baltimore break through, and I think players like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed sense that time is running out, that it's this year or bust. They ain't getting any younger.

I'm taking Baltimore...but only if Ed Reed is playing.

As for San Francisco vs. NY, I like what the other Harbaugh is doing, too...but I'm going to need a little more time to sort this matchup through my head before I make a pick.

The 49ers already beat the Giants once in the same place. Baltimore will be able to run on New England and I agreee and keep the ball away from Brady. It will be a tossup in that one. But I love the 49ers in the other one. There are two possible rematch's historically. The Giants did play Baltimore and lost to that team that had no offense and just a crazy defense. Also we know that New England has played the Giants. All points to a 49ers win. I will say I am not as certain with Batlimore. But what a story, two brothers vs each other. They played Thanksgiving eve but San fran was at a distinct disadvantage and were soundly beatten. Had to travel 3000 miles east on Turkey day. Things will be different this time. I would pick the 49ers to win it all and what a shocker that is because when the season started I did not even have them winning the division.

I don't think anyone had the 49er's winning anything let alone reaching .500. They really are the surprise team of the year I think.

The Giants team that lost to San Francisco earlier this year isn't the same team playing now. They're healthy on defense and Eli is playing like a man posessed. Baltimore has a great defense but having to make a choice I'd pick Brady over Joe Flacco. Both teams can run if they have to, but the game is in New England. So..............

Giants and the over

Patriots and the over

I don't think anyone had the 49er's winning anything let alone reaching .500. They really are the surprise team of the year I think.

The Giants team that lost to San Francisco earlier this year isn't the same team playing now. They're healthy on defense and Eli is playing like a man posessed. Baltimore has a great defense but having to make a choice I'd pick Brady over Joe Flacco. Both teams can run if they have to, but the game is in New England. So..............

Giants and the over

Patriots and the over

San Fran and over

Baltimore and under (with the points) I am starting to think New England will pull out the win but not the spread

Today I heard that in the entire history of the NFL no team gave up more passing yardage on defense than the Packers did this past season. They were also last in total defense in the league, barely beating out New England.

The Pack went 15-1 and the Pats are going to play for the AFC title..................

Pro football really has changed hasn't it.

Today I heard that in the entire history of the NFL no team gave up more passing yardage on defense than the Packers did this past season. They were also last in total defense in the league, barely beating out New England.

The Pack went 15-1 and the Pats are going to play for the AFC title..................

Pro football really has changed hasn't it.

What saved them both were very high turnover ratios. Hard to believe they gave up more than some of my stinking Bills teams of the seventies. But then again, they used to run the ball more in those days.

Did anyone get the feeling that Green Bay's focus was not 100% during that game? I counted at least 6 dropped passes by Green Bay receivers...and these were easy catches that should have been caught. And there is NO WAY a 'Hail Mary' pass should be completed like that at the half.

Not that it's an excuse, but it sure seems like the offensive coordinator's son's death affected their focus.

Did anyone get the feeling that Green Bay's focus was not 100% during that game? I counted at least 6 dropped passes by Green Bay receivers...and these were easy catches that should have been caught. And there is NO WAY a 'Hail Mary' pass should be completed like that at the half.

Not that it's an excuse, but it sure seems like the offensive coordinator's son's death affected their focus.

I say that is a certainty it had a big affect.

I say that is a certainty it had a big affect.

Yep, and I say this with all due respect to the Packers OC's personal loss, there's no way that it didn't have an effect on the Packers but, let's not diss the Giants. They came to play and won because they played better than the Packers did. The Giants are due the respect they earned but I'm picking the 49ers to beat them. It should be a hell of a game but with the beauty of game film, I think San Fran can come up with a game plan that will do it.

Before the lines even came out, I had the score 23-20 running thru my head for the 49er-Giants game...I just couldn't decide which team had the 23.

After thinking it over, I have such high regard for what Jim Harbaugh has done that I'm going to stay with him. Going all the way across the country usually affects east coast teams, so I'm taking the 49ers.

23-20 is 43, which is under by a half-point, which is cutting it pretty close. Tempted to take the over, but I think this will be a defensive game, with possibly some sloppy play by both offenses.

As for the NE-Baltimore game, I'm sticking with what I said earlier. Baltimore and the under.

I also think the how emotional it was for the Giants to go into Green Bay and beat the Packers will have an affect on the G-men this weekend. If SF controls the line of scrimage, which I think they will, it will be a 49'ers win by 3 or so.

Maybe I do not respect the Giants that much because my Buffalo Bills had them beat if not for one play by Fitz. One bad throw. They were driving for the winning score, a field goal and he threw it short and it was picked. The Bills had them beat. Hell. 49ers win it. And win it all.. That NE and Balt game I just have trouble with. All year I said Baltimore would beat them in the title game. Now I am not so sure. I just do not like Baltimore's offense and they do not have the defenese that won it in 2000. New England may find a way to win, but still like Baltimore to cover.

I'm not sure Alex Smith can repeat his performance against the Giants that he had against the Saints. I also don't think Joe Flacco can hang with Tom Brady either. If their running game isn't working effectively I don't see Flacco stepping up enough to compensate.

Of course, I may be wrong...........

I'm not sure Alex Smith can repeat his performance against the Giants that he had against the Saints. I also don't think Joe Flacco can hang with Tom Brady either. If their running game isn't working effectively I don't see Flacco stepping up enough to compensate.

Of course, I may be wrong...........

I hope you are wrong. Because I DO NOT WANT A GIANTS VS PATS SUPER BOWL.

I hope you are wrong. Because I DO NOT WANT A GIANTS VS PATS SUPER BOWL.

You know the NFL and TV is PRAYING for this matchup, though. BALTIMORE-SF would not be the ratings draw that a NE-NY rematch would be.

Hi all<

You know the NFL and TV is PRAYING for this matchup, though. BALTIMORE-SF would not be the ratings draw that a NE-NY rematch would be.

I is Mr Strider! ;)

Interesting,or trivial stuff: NE Patriots,first know as the Boston Patriots are playing the Baltimore Ravens.As we know are named after the Edgar Allen Poe poem "The Raven." Poe was born in Boston :blink:

Tom Brady grew up the bay area and always wanted to play for the 49'ers,.....

Who is coming over Sunday? :D

KB

I have been watching the replay of NY v. GB on the NFL network, since I didn't see much of the first half.....the Pack had NO pass rush! The Giants will NOT have that luxury this weekend, plus the weather leading up to the game says slow trek - which hurts Cruz, Nicks and the rest of their playmakers.

I have been watching the replay of NY v. GB on the NFL network, since I didn't see much of the first half.....the Pack had NO pass rush! The Giants will NOT have that luxury this weekend, plus the weather leading up to the game says slow trek - which hurts Cruz, Nicks and the rest of their playmakers.

I would rather watch reruns of the Beverly Hilllbillies than watch a game over again.

I would rather watch reruns of the Beverly Hilllbillies than watch a game over again.

Or just gamble.....

As I said, I hadn't seen much of the first half - but then again the Beverly Hillbillies is classic and so are The Munsters! ;)

Yeah, the Munsters are always my pick over the Addams Family.

And the Hillbillies over both. Speaking of hillbillies we have one at QB. In Buffalo. What to do with a bearded overpaid Harvard grad?

I am still not convinced what will happen in that New England and Baltimore game. I have more confidence in the 49ers winning than either of them. But both games could go either way. With two potential rematches. I do not want a rematch so I want the Giants out. With all of the success they have both had its hard to believe San Fran has never played New England in the Super Bowl. But until last year Green Bay had never met Pittsburgh. Its been a long time since the days of Montana and Rice when the 49ers were a force. Are they going to be a one year wonder? There division is getting tougher. Seattle made big steps with Carrol and now Fischer is in St Louis.

Archived