2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

Bingo posted the pictures, here's the video. I wonder if Montana still sees Jim Burt in his sleep...........

Burt battled back problems with the New York Giants which ultimately caused Parcells to announce his retirement in 1988. Burt, however, was not ready to retire and instead joined the San Francisco 49ers for the 1989 season. He won his second Super Bowl with the team when they defeated the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV.

after this weekend good ole joe can finally settle in at number 2

I will always think of Joe Montana as the greatest pressure qb of all-time. He had that air about him that he was never gonna lose the game for his team. So many great players at that position the past 25-30 years! That debate could rival where Jimmy Page ranks in the greatest guitarists list! ;)

Hi Everyone:

I am looking forward to the half-time show and Madonna...She will sing her new single featuring M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj.I hope she wil also sing Holiday,Vogue and Like a Virgin, She will not have a wardrobe malfunction.

Juliet

PS Have a super time...

Hi Juliet! Thanks for bringing a little estrogen to this thread...it was starting to resemble and smell like a sausage factory.

I am personally hoping Madge does "Ray of Light"...yes, I am a Madonna fan...and I think "Holiday" is a good possibility. I don't think "Like a Virgin" will pass Fox TV's muster...since Justin Timberlake ripped Janet Jackson's bra off, the networks are leary of anything that could offend the tv audience. Add in the fact that this Super Bowl is in bland Indiana, which probably still has "Blue Laws", and I think you can cross "...Virgin", "Papa Don't Preach", and "Justify My Love" off the list of songs she'll perform.

"Holiday" and her new single with M.I.A. are obvious no-brainers for the setlist. Besides "Ray of Light"(easily one of my favourite Madonna Songs), I would also like to hear that song she did for the Austin Powers movie...imagine the costume and choreography possibilities for that one!

Oh, and I think "Music" would be a good choice...and "Lucky Star" could be a possibilty.

Strange as it may seem to some of you, I am looking forward to Madonna's halftime set more than I was to the Rolling Stones or Tom Petty's. Madonna's music has the surface sheen and commercial glitz that fits in with the corporate orgy of the Super Bowl better than the gritty, earthy likes of the Stones, Petty or Springsteen. I always watch those halftime shows with a mixture of horror and fascination. It was so jarring to me.

But Madonna embraces the pop and commercial ethic...and I have no problem with that; I like pop...as long as it is good pop. Her doing the Super Bowl is a natural fit. Plus, her songs are more suited for the "medley" treatment which is standard in these halftime shows.

And, she's American...sorry, I don't want no Limeys at my Super Bowl. ;)

Well I thought I posted something here last night but it's not there. Guess I forgot to push the post button.

Go Patriots....... :cheer:

We're excited for the festivities coming tomarrow. My daughter has purchased all football stuff for the food spread...complete with football shaped cake. Hot dogs for the commercial roller machine thing, football shaped popcorn machine and a grass tablecloth. Should be a good time (as long as the Pats win)

Well I thought I posted something here last night but it's not there. Guess I forgot to push the post button.

Go Patriots....... :cheer:

We're excited for the festivities coming tomarrow. My daughter has purchased all football stuff for the food spread...complete with football shaped cake. Hot dogs for the commercial roller machine thing, football shaped popcorn machine and a grass tablecloth. Should be a good time (as long as the Pats win)

Sounds like you've got quite a feast in store! Do you guys do Super Bowl Squares at your shindig? Anybody else here buy Super Bowl Squares at your work or at the party you attend?

I hope Leonard Marshall and Jim Burt come out at halftime and have flashbacks and think madonna is Montana. :D:faint1:

Awww, that's not very nice.

I have no, and I mean NO business in any sports thread. I am a total and embarassing dunce on the subject!

However, I have just learned that a player for the Giants is battling Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. I am first a human being, so I will be quietly cheering for (among the Pats fans who don't have a friggin clue what this poor child has been through) this brave young man.

You go, Mark Herzlich.

:)

I have no, and I mean NO business in any sports thread. I am a total and embarassing dunce on the subject!

However, I have just learned that a player for the Giants is battling Ewing's sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer. I am first a human being, so I will be quietly cheering for (among the Pats fans who don't have a friggin clue what this poor child has been through) this brave young man.

You go, Mark Herzlich. :)

Your right.Back to,....?

BC linebacker

^^^Looks mighty tasty, Ledzepfvr! Normally, I would be at my brother's Super Bowl gathering in Riverside this weekend...and I might've invited myself over to your place for a piece of that cake! :lol:

Alas, work and other things prevented me from being able to go, so I'll be watching the Super Bowl with a small group of friends in Hollywood.

Hi all,

^^^Looks mighty tasty, Ledzepfvr! Normally, I would be at my brother's Super Bowl gathering in Riverside this weekend...and I might've invited myself over to your place for a piece of that cake! :lol:

Alas, work and other things prevented me from being able to go, so I'll be watching the Super Bowl with a small group of friends in Hollywood.

Have fun Bro! Pick?

KB

Hi all,

Have fun Bro! Pick?

KB

Ok, but you may not like it.

So I've tossed and turned this game around and around thru my admittedly damaged mind, and the time is at hand to finally decide which of the New's to put my money on...New England or New York?

And for all the talk about Belichick and Brady and Eli and Cruz and the Giants D and Gronk's ankle and X's and O's and all that rigamarole, I am about to do the last thing you're supposed to do when gambling...bet with my heart not my head.

For one thing, I like to cheer for the underdog...it's the romantic in me. The Patriots are the favourites, so my inner underdog tells me to pull for the Giants.

Now, being a Raider fan and an AFL loyalist, when the Raiders are not in it, I tend to cheer for the AFC team, as most of the old AFL teams became AFC teams when the AFL-NFL merger went through.

However, being that same said Raider fan, there are certain teams that are anathema, persona non grata...a Raider fan's bête noire. Teams that I cannot bring myself to cheer for, NO MATTER WHAT. The New England Patriots are one of those teams.

Why, you ask?

It's simple...and it comes down to a date: January 19, 2002.

That, my friends, was the date of the AFC Divisional playoff game between the Oakland Raiders and the New England Patriots at Foxboro. Or as the game is colloquially known, the "Tuck Rule" game...or more accurately, the "Snow Job" game.

Every fan of any team of any sport has those moments where your gut was punched, your heart ripped out of you by some dastardly deed, some fall-out-of-the-sky freak occurance that snatches sure victory away at the last second. Raider fans have two such "what the fuck just happened?!?" moments.

One is Franco Harris' "Immaculate Reception" in a playoff game between the Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers in December 1972. The other and more recent is the "Snow Job" game 10 years ago.

Part of me believes that that game played a significant part in Jon Gruden leaving the Raiders after that season. It was like he realized with that game that as coach of the Raiders, he would have to defeat not just the other team on any given Sunday...but also the League's and the ref's bias against the Raiders. He saw the writing on the wall and bailed.

I CURSED the name of Brady and New England that snowy night in Foxborough, Massachusetts. The pain is still there, still lingers a decade later.

I may respect Brady's game, but I'll be damned if I am going to cheer for him in a Super Bowl.

I'm putting my money on the New York Football Giants. My pick is NYG - 27 NE - 23

^^^^ OK ...... so you have your faults by picking the Giants. I'd still invite you for cake though. :lol:

BTW...the hubby is a Patriot fan first and formost but his second favorite team is the Raiders. We have a difference there as I do not care for the Raiders.

May the best team win.

Looking at the so called expert picks at CBS and ESPN 11 of 13 pick the Giants to win this game. And Prisco points out that the 2007 Patriots that almost had a perfect season were better than this Pats team and those Giants were not as good as this Giants team. So why on Earth are the Giants underdogs? I honestly believe there are two reasons. One, the regular season record of New England was much better than the Giants. And I honestly believe Vegas is doing a fine job of trying to conceal New England's flaws in this game. Giants win and win big.

Archived