Political correctness

bouillon

From Sanford & Son

Fred is defending Lamont in traffic court....

Fred to police officer: 'How come you never arrest any white people?'

Officer: 'I do!'

Fred: 'Well, where are they? Lookit all these niggers in here (courtroom). There's enough niggers in here to make a Tarzan movie!'

PC or not, one of the funniest moments in televison afaic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASQKjbuCS8&feature=related

PC or not, one of the funniest moments in televison afaic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ASQKjbuCS8&feature=related

What's interesting about that, is people always think or say that TV nowadays is more progressive than TV from 30-35 years ago, but programs like Sanford and Son or All In The Family would never fly on broadcast television today. No way in hell. TV back then dealt with racial issues or other hot-button issues, using frank language. Good Times, The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, All In The Family, hell even that famous sketch on SNL between Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor. You'd NEVER see something like that on TV now. Remember the episode of Maude where she had an abortion? That was in what, 1973? Would you see any network sitcom today with one of the main characters having had an abortion?

Network TV today is way too fucking sanitized. It's always "won't someone please think of the children" when there's plenty of kids who grew up then watching those very same TV shows and nothing happened.

...dont even get me going on about the Holacaust and how the Jews want everyone to feel sorry for them about what the Nazis did to them while at the same time commit atrocities against humanity every single day against the Palestinians

Steady on, BigDan, or you'll incur the wrath of the Wiesenthal lynch mob. They have eyes everywhere, you know. And they'll have you strung up quicker than you can say AIPAC-Sponsored Palestinian Genocide.

Wow. I didn't realise we were even allowed to write that word any more. And you've done it twice.

Then again, maybe you're black, redrum? ;)

No, I'm not black but there it all is in black & white. People these days are too damned thin skinned. <_<

Back in the late 90's I was in Oakland walking into the museum and this little black kid comes by on his bike, looks at me and says: 'Hey Honky!'

I had to laugh and threw back at him: 'Yo Mama!' and he cracked up as he rode away.

B)

Steady on, BigDan, or you'll incur the wrath of the Wiesenthal lynch mob. They have eyes everywhere, you know. And they'll have you strung up quicker than you can say AIPAC-Sponsored Palestinian Genocide.

Fcuk Em, all of em, the SAS didnt want me because they thought i was to aggresive, the SS couldnt afford me and said i was to Violent and Mossad are a bunch of Pussies who cant have me because i still have an appendage they are not allowed and are infact jealous of, (4skin).

Kind Regards, Danny and his Appendage

Fcuk Em, all of em, the SAS didnt want me because they thought i was to aggresive, the SS couldnt afford me and said i was to Violent and Mossad are a bunch of Pussies who cant have me because i still have an appendage they are not allowed and are infact jealous of, (4skin).

Kind Regards, Danny and his Appendag

TMI - :lol:

What BS. :blink:

Sorry, but why is what she said BS? Political correctness is gutless at its' core. People twist themselves into knots trying to not make race/culture/heritage an issue, but that's all it does. It magnifies the differences in people.

Honest discussions should really be the preferred way, not running from everyday life. Whether it be television or other media or just conversations among people. Dealing with reality is always better instead of glossing it over.

Sorry, but why is what she said BS? Political correctness is gutless at its' core. People twist themselves into knots trying to not make race/culture/heritage an issue, but that's all it does. It magnifies the differences in people.

Honest discussions should really be the preferred way, not running from everyday life. Whether it be television or other media or just conversations among people. Dealing with reality is always better instead of glossing it over.

BRAVO, couldnt agree with you more. :bravo:

Regards, Danny

It's his standard M.O.

Wow. I didn't realise we were even allowed to write that word any more. And you've done it twice.

Then again, maybe you're black, redrum? ;)

It shouldnt matter a dam what coloure he is Bouillon, the law should never allow one coloured group to use a word and not allow another coloured group to use it, in fact to be called a Racist for using it is fcuking Racist in any sane persons mind right?

It's hard for me to fathom why people have such a hard time understanding usage and context.

What Redd Foxx said as Fred Sanford was funny as hell because he was making an accurate observation regarding the lack of white people in the courtroom, and in the second instance the humor was self-deprecating (self as in a member of a whole group).

So when an African-American uses the word nigger, it's either in a self-deprecating fashion, or in the generic fashion that African-Americans have used it from the beginning.

It's practically impossible for an African-American to use the word in the derogatory context that a white person uses it in.

Likewise, it's nearly impossible as well for a white person to use the word nigger in a fashion that is not derogatory, because the term is rooted in the hatred that has been held towards African-Americans since the days of slavery.

For that reason alone, African-Americans have at least earned the right to use the word as they see fit, exclusively, even if it is, in mine and many others' opinions, detrimental to progressing beyond racism.

The only exception is the example of my usage of it here, because I'm simply referencing the word.

And no, I don't think referencing the word nigger is racist.

But using the word in speech is what matters.

So where I draw the line is when people say it's racist to reference the word nigger.

I think the term n-word is ludicrous, and the perfect example of political correctness spun out of control.

Example: if I'm relating a joke Richard Pryor, or Chris Rock, or Redd Foxx made, it would be ridiculous in the extreme for me to use the term n-word in an effort to avoid referencing the word nigger.

Conversely, if I were to say, "Everyone in the audience was laughing at the joke Richard Pryor made, even though it was making fun of niggers", that would be racist.

Avoiding racist speech is really a simple, common-sense approach that's fairly easy to comprehend, unless you simply don't want to comprehend.

It's hard for me to fathom why people have such a hard time understanding usage and context.

What Redd Foxx said as Fred Sanford was funny as hell because he was making an accurate observation regarding the lack of white people in the courtroom, and in the second instance the humor was self-deprecating (self as in a member of a whole group).

So when an African-American uses the word nigger, it's either in a self-deprecating fashion, or in the generic fashion that African-Americans have used it from the beginning.

It's practically impossible for an African-American to use the word in the derogatory context that a white person uses it in.

Likewise, it's nearly impossible as well for a white person to use the word nigger in a fashion that is not derogatory, because the term is rooted in the hatred that has been held towards African-Americans since the days of slavery.

For that reason alone, African-Americans have at least earned the right to use the word as they see fit, exclusively, even if it is, in mine and many others' opinions, detrimental to progressing beyond racism.

The only exception is the example of my usage of it here, because I'm simply referencing the word.

And no, I don't think referencing the word nigger is racist.

But using the word in speech is what matters.

So where I draw the line is when people say it's racist to reference the word nigger.

I think the term n-word is ludicrous, and the perfect example of political correctness spun out of control.

Example: if I'm relating a joke Richard Pryor, or Chris Rock, or Redd Foxx made, it would be ridiculous in the extreme for me to use the term n-word in an effort to avoid referencing the word nigger.

Conversely, if I were to say, "Everyone in the audience was laughing at the joke Richard Pryor made, even though it was making fun of niggers", that would be racist.

Avoiding racist speech is really a simple, common-sense approach that's fairly easy to comprehend, unless you simply don't want to comprehend.

TypoO, i cant disagree with you, you make sense, but as you pointed out untill its usage isnt detrimental to progressing beyond racism then there will always be a barrier between the two races, and that i lay totally in the lap of the Black People who carry it on.

Regards, Danny

Here's the problem as I see it, albeit from a relatively privileged and unpersecuted white POV:

As far as I can see, the word is used predominantly these days by younger blacks, who have little or no personal experience of the days when the word was used regularly and unquestioningly by a wide section of non-black society, when it was used so widely that many people who used it lazily probably didn't even realise that it was highly offensive. Furthermore, they have little or no personal experience of the physical and psychological horrors visited on their forebears by some of those who used the word with genuine malevolence.

IMO, by using the word in such a throwaway fashion, they are therefore tarnishing the memory of those who suffered a level of persecution that modern-day blacks cannot possibly imagine, and cheapening the achievements of those, black and white, who fought so assiduously to eradicate it. Sure, they can read about it, but if they were beamed back for a few weeks to the Deep South or Britain of the 50s, I suspect they wouldn't be so keen to use the word in such an asinine way anymore.

To make matters worse, by using the word so frivolously, they are reintroducing and unwittingly legitimising its usage by all the stupid young wigga chavs everywhere who don't have an appreciation of its cultural background or the tenuous and tortuous justification for its current popularity amongst young blacks. For example, a few years ago, a dumb middle class white girly on UK Big Brother used it innocently to refer to her friends. She was flamed mercilessly by the non-Caucasians on the show, ended up in tears and was either thrown off the show or walked.

At the end of the day, it's a word, and it's either acceptable or it isn't. Fuck context, or who's using it. But if the 'entitled' want to continue to use it, they should be prepared to accept the consequences of reintroducing it. It's almost as if their true agenda is to re-ignite a conflict which, until relatively recently, had thankfully pretty much disappeared.

TypeO, while you're free to feel that using the phrase "n-word" is ludicrous or ridiculous or whatever else, I personally use that terminology when referencing said word not because I think it's PC, but because I don't want to type out that word, much less say it. I've got a foul mouth and can swear like a sailor on liberty when I need to, so I have no problems with "fuck" and all its wonderful derivatives, but that other turn of phrase is a level of filth that I refuse to dignify with an actual word.

Here's the problem as I see it, albeit from a relatively privileged and unpersecuted white POV:

As far as I can see, the word is used predominantly these days by younger blacks, who have little or no personal experience of the days when the word was used regularly and unquestioningly by a wide section of non-black society, when it was used so widely that many people who used it lazily probably didn't even realise that it was highly offensive. Furthermore, they have little or no personal experience of the physical and psychological horrors visited on their forebears by some of those who used the word with genuine malevolence.

IMO, by using the word in such a throwaway fashion, they are therefore tarnishing the memory of those who suffered a level of persecution that modern-day blacks cannot possibly imagine, and cheapening the achievements of those, black and white, who fought so assiduously to eradicate it. Sure, they can read about it, but if they were beamed back for a few weeks to the Deep South or Britain of the 50s, I suspect they wouldn't be so keen to use the word in such an asinine way anymore.

To make matters worse, by using the word so frivolously, they are reintroducing and unwittingly legitimising its usage by all the stupid young wigga chavs everywhere who don't have an appreciation of its cultural background or the tenuous and tortuous justification for its current popularity amongst young blacks. For example, a few years ago, a dumb middle class white girly on UK Big Brother used it innocently to refer to her friends. She was flamed mercilessly by the non-Caucasians on the show, ended up in tears and was either thrown off the show or walked.

At the end of the day, it's a word, and it's either acceptable or it isn't. Fuck context, or who's using it. But if the 'entitled' want to continue to use it, they should be prepared to accept the consequences of reintroducing it. It's almost as if their true agenda is to re-ignite a conflict which, until relatively recently, had thankfully pretty much disappeared.

You'd probably be be surprised at the age ranges of African-Americans that still use the word on an intimate basis, among friends.

I don't mean like on a constant basis like rappers, with "nigga this and nigga that", but just when joking or having fun.

And context IS crucial - one black guy greeting another and saying "my nigga" is an extremely personal and positive exchange, it carries tones of friendship.

But there are very few instances where a white person could say it to another black person with no offense.

It would either be taken as offensive or presumptive of a familiarity that doesn't exist.

But I promise you, "nigga, PLEASE" and a few other expressions are still very common among most age groups of African-Americans.

TypeO, while you're free to feel that using the phrase "n-word" is ludicrous or ridiculous or whatever else, I personally use that terminology when referencing said word not because I think it's PC, but because I don't want to type out that word, much less say it. I've got a foul mouth and can swear like a sailor on liberty when I need to, so I have no problems with "fuck" and all its wonderful derivatives, but that other turn of phrase is a level of filth that I refuse to dignify with an actual word.

I need to clarify.

I don't think using the term "n-word" is ludicrous, I just think it's ludicrous to claim a person is racist for referencing the word "nigger".

Much like the previous post referencing the Fred Sanford joke.

But I certainly don't think it's ludicrous that you or anyone else uses the term "n-word".

And believe me, I've referenced the word more in this one discussion than I have in even remotely recent memory.

Well I agree with you there, just saying the word outright doesn't belie racism. For example, is anyone who does an audiobook version of Huckleberry Finn a racist because that word is used A LOT? No, not hardly. Now, if the Grand Wizard of the local KKK chapter uses that word to describe the President, that would be different. Obviously intent is everything. The thing is, the majority of people who use that word in conversation to refer to a black person, are using that particular sobriquet for a reason.....and it's not a wholesome reason. So while it may be erroneous to automatically jump to the racism conclusion when someone uses that word, it's not altogether unfounded either.

Well I agree with you there, just saying the word outright doesn't belie racism. For example, is anyone who does an audiobook version of Huckleberry Finn a racist because that word is used A LOT? No, not hardly. Now, if the Grand Wizard of the local KKK chapter uses that word to describe the President, that would be different. Obviously intent is everything. The thing is, the majority of people who use that word in conversation to refer to a black person, are using that particular sobriquet for a reason.....and it's not a wholesome reason. So while it may be erroneous to automatically jump to the racism conclusion when someone uses that word, it's not altogether unfounded either.

Exactly.

Thus my distinction between reference and usage.

Referencing the word is not the same as using the word in conversation.

The only odd part to me is how some people have a hard time distinguishing the difference.

TANGENT / UNRELATED TO THREAD ALERT

BTW, I assume you took typing at some point in your life (school, etc.).

Ask me how I know.

Yeah, I've taken a couple typing classes. I could type fast as hell, but not necessarily accurately, and I wanted to fix that. So I'll bite, what gave it away?

2 spaces after your periods.

On typewriters, it was considered good form because the monospacing made it hard to see sentence ends.

However, with computers that account for character kerning (spacing between letters), it's unnecessary.

I'm a graphic designer, it jumps out at me.

I actually have an action I run on pasted text that detects double spaces and replaces with single spaces.

:obssessive:

lulz

I never learned to type on a typewriter, I learned to type on a regular computer keyboard. I would love to type on a real old-fashioned typewriter sometime, just because it looks very retro and cool. I always thought (and was told) it was proper form to put two spaces after a period and colon, with one after commas and semi-colons. I didn't know there was a difference depending on what appliance you were using. Interesting.

Archived