The Greatest Active Bands In The World

bouillon

Not necessarily what you thought at the time, as our tastes usually change as we mature....or maybe not.

Mine:

1963-1967: Rolling Stones

1967-1970: Hendrix

1970-14.8.79 (i.e. the day before ITTOD was released) : LZ

15.8.79-1984: Van Halen

1984-1985: Sisters Of Mercy

1985-1987: Metallica

1987-1989: Guns n Roses

1989-1990: Mother Love Bone

1990-1992: Alice In Chains. Or maybe Nirvana.

1992-1994: Suede

1994-1995: Wildhearts

1995-1998: Radiohead

1998-2002: QOTSA

2002 to date: Muse (really can't think of anyone else from that rotten decade)

Could you seriously say Rolling Stone were bigger in the sixties the The Beatles?

I think KISS should be in there someone too I don't know where but they were huge back in the day, in someway they still are.

You completely missed the point of the thread. It's about what band you thought was the best active band throughout your life.

Bouillon is right, most of us have different favourite bands thru different periods of our lives, as bands get old or break up, etc.

And Kiss was not as big as Kiss would have everyone believe...they have been the beneficiary of a massive revisionist campaign, thanks to MTV and VH1 and the ceaseless marketing by Gene Simmons.

Kiss were the kings of the unnecessary "hold date" in the 70's. Sure, they had regions where they were popular(Detroit and NYC), but they were never as massively popular as Zeppelin, Stones, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Van Halen, Springsteen, Michael Jackson, Madonna. Even Aerosmith and Jethro Tull in their heyday were probably bigger on a national scale than Kiss.

Jethro Tull played 5 nights at the Forum in 1975. The most Kiss could ever do was 2 nights.

Anyway, I'll do my list later when I have time to think about it.

Izzoso, I find it hard to believe you were alive during Robert Johnson's time. :lol:

The Who: 1969-1973 (Tommy through Quadrophenia)

Rolling Stones: 1968-1972 (Beggars Banquet through Exile on Main Street)

Zeppelin: 1969-1971 (Led I through IV)

Mott The Hoople: 1971-1974 (Brain Capers through The Hoople)

Weather Report: 1971-1980 (first self titled album through Night Passage)

Return To Forever: 1973-1976 (Hymn To The 7th Galaxy through Romantic Warrior)

There's more but these would be my top pics for the high stretches of creativity.................and I loved everything they did during these years, all tunes on all their respective LP's.

The Who: 1969-1973 (Tommy through Quadrophenia)

Rolling Stones: 1968-1972 (Beggars Banquet through Exile on Main Street)

Zeppelin: 1969-1971 (Led I through IV)

Mott The Hoople: 1971-1974 (Brain Capers through The Hoople)

Weather Report: 1971-1980 (first self titled album through Night Passage)

Return To Forever: 1973-1976 (Hymn To The 7th Galaxy through Romantic Warrior)

There's more but these would be my top pics for the high stretches of creativity.................and I loved everything they did during these years, all tunes on all their respective LP's.

Nope, another one who didn't quite get the point of the thread.

I'm sorry bouillon, I don't know why people are having a hard time with this...it's not like you're speaking gibberish.

I'll add my list now...maybe that will help.

1965-1969: The Beatles

1970-1980: Led Zeppelin

1981-1984: Van Halen

1985-1987: Prince

1988-1991: Jane's Addiction

1992-1996: Sonic Youth

1997-2001: Radiohead

2002-2006: Wilco

2007-2011: Radiohead

Kiwi,

That just made me want to softly pat you on the back and offer you my sincere condolences friend.:D

Thank goodness for young people who help to keep the 'memory" alive.;)

just kidding you of course.

Cheers,

Brad

Well Brad, the Stones were my obsession for quite a while, thanks to my dad's music collection :blush: And my interest in them might just be renewed since there is a new album in the making! :D You never know! ;)B)

Cheers! :beer:

Kiwi :)

1985-1987: Prince

Good call...I'd forgotten about him. No way could he have supplanted Metallica for me, though...but I could've squeezed him in for the last few months of 1984.

Apparently he played an awesome show at a minor festival over here the other week....whilst Glastonboring was being headlined by an unholy triumvirate of the blandest pap.

And can I just say how reassuring it is that nobody's chosen U2, REM or Coldplay....yet....

Prince ROCKED the LA Forum the whole month of May! He's still got IT! And his guitar-tone is to die for.

I suppose if I'd given my list more thought, I could've squeezed more bands in like Brad did.

I suppose there was a time in the late-70's, when Zeppelin was on haitus, that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band were my favourite.

And there were a few months in 1984-85 when I thought Iron Maiden was the best band of that time.

But I wanted to keep my list clear and easy to follow.

61-65 - John Coltrane Quartet

65-67 - The Beatles

67-68 - Hendrix

68-71 - Led Zep

71-73 - Can

73-77 - Pink Floyd

77-79 - The Clash

79-84 - Talking Heads

85-86 - Jesus and Mary Chain

87-89 - Spacemen 3

89-90 - The Stone Roses

91-94 - Massive Attack

95-96 - Oasis

97-00 - Primal Scream

Some of my favorite bands/artists throughout my lifetime:

Beatles

Alice Cooper

Kiss

Grateful Dead

Willie Nelson

Waylon Jennings

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Jimmy Buffett

Rolling Stones

Led Zeppelin

Van Halen

R.E.M.

U2

Bob Marley & the Wailers

Pearl Jam

Bob Dylan

Whiskeytown

Wilco

The Gourds

Ryan Adams

Drive-By Truckers

Megafaun

Mount Moriah

No telling what I will think of Mount Moriah 5-10 years from now but after seeing them live for the last couple of years and them finally releasing their debut record this year, I cannot get enough of it recently. They toured with the Indigo Girls last Fall and are presently back out on the road with them. Hopefully that will help bring their music to an even wider audience.

Ok, got it now:

1955-1956: Elvis Presley

1957-1958: Buddy Holly

1959-1961: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and other assorted Chicago Blues legends

1962-1966: Bob Dylan

1967-1968: Beatles

1969-1973: The Who

1974-1976: Aerosmith

1977-1981: The Ramones

1982-1987: REM

1988-1989: a void in the wasteland

1990-1995: Alice In Chains

1996-present: I pretty much stopped caring and started seriously listening to jazz

1959-1961: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and other assorted Chicago Blues legends

I also had a time period when I got pretty heavily into the blues but I don't think any of those musicans ever became what I'd consider one of my favorite artists. I always considered the blues more of an influence. Same thing for old rock n' roll. Though, if pressed, I could probably name a couple: Howlin' Wolf and Chuck Berry, respectively. I credit Zeppelin's first few records for me having the desire to seek out the works of Muddy Waters, the Wolf, Robert Johnson, etc. Skynyrd and Foghat also played a large part in that. It was the Honeydrippers which helped pique my interest in 50's rock which led to me searching out the works of Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, etc.

1996-present: I pretty much stopped caring and started seriously listening to jazz

It was around this time when I completely lost interest in most anything commercial radio had to offer which just so happened to coincide with my then burgeoning interest in alt.country. That turned me onto tons of great bands and around '99 I found a group of fellow fans of that music online who in turn helped me discover lots of other artists I probably would have never have known about otherwise. In 2004 I signed up for XM which has also been very helpful in discovering new artists.

The Stones did that for me, allowed me to discover American blues music as well as the other bands you named too. I still listen to rock music as well, newer bands I mean but I don't get the feel that any of them have that kind of serious longevity or that they can create records over a stretch of time that can continually amaze. The Drive By Truckers come pretty close to that I guess but either way it's a very short list now.

I think me being old doesn't help that very much either.................

The Stones did that for me, allowed me to discover American blues music as well as the other bands you named too. I still listen to rock music as well, newer bands I mean but I don't get the feel that any of them have that kind of serious longevity or that they can create records over a stretch of time that can continually amaze. The Drive By Truckers come pretty close to that I guess but either way it's a very short list now.

Only time will tell but I'm not concerned with how what I'm listening to now will be remembered in 10 years. I listen to what moves me. Presently those artists would include The War On Drugs, the Decemberists, Megafaun and Mount Moriah, to name a few.

I think me being old doesn't help that very much either.................

Not that I needed any reminders but I'm pretty aware of this too. Over the weekend I was hanging out with a group of friends that are probably ten years older than me. One of them was trying to find a music channel on the cable system that we could all relate to when his son hollered out, "find the Classic Rock or the Oldies station". Prior to that, we had spent 4-5 minutes listening to Arcade Fire but I was the only one in the room (including the younger crowd) that had even heard of them. That made me feel old but it also wasn't that unusual for me considering I make a concerted effort to keep up with new music.

Archived