Bouillon's Grammar Correctional Facility

bouillon

Hi Danny,all,

I did Mate! I don't think they were commercially available in the late 60's :lol:

KB

"A light-emitting diode (LED) is a semiconductor light source.[1] LEDs are used as indicator lamps in many devices and are increasingly used for other lighting. Introduced as a practical electronic component in 1962,[2] early LEDs emitted low-intensity red light, but modern versions are available across the visible, ultraviolet and infrared wavelengths, with very high brightness."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-emitting_diode

1962 Kev, it seems Jimmy was far seeing as i thought. :yesnod:

Very Kind Regards, Danny

I'm making allowances for American English, Reggie. It would be churlish not to, much as it pains me to let these atrocities slip past.

Something I've noticed is that not all Americans are consistent with their mis-spelling of certain words. Some people seem to retain the letter U in words where it is usually dropped in the US - for example, favour, honour etc. There are at least two possible explanations for this: (1) maybe they are ex-pat Brits, and (2) maybe there are two tiers of English tuition in the US, and these U-retainers represent people who received the better type of education?

I can only guess that I am one of those people you are referring to in the above post, and if so, there is an explanation.

I was stationed for nearly 3 years in Germany, where I spent most of my free time travelling around Europe and the United Kingdom, picking up English habits along the way. After a while, the English-english subconsciously integrated with my American-english to the point that it is now just out of habit that I use the "ou" spelling of certain words, or use a particular English turn-of-phrase instead of the American vernacular.

For instance, "fancy a shag?" instead of "wanna fuck?"

I can only guess that I am one of those people you are referring to in the above post

Indeed you are, Strider.

I noticed this during the assignment you set me, which I'm ashamed to say I abandoned, for two reasons: first, your marvellous tale was diverting my attention from my objective; and second, during the brief period before my attention wandered and flat out refused to return, I could only spot a few utterly trivial offences, all of which could justifiably be attributed to journalistic license.

I'm sorry, you are probably right about that now that I think about it. Most Americans have trouble with lead boots, lead balloon, lead bottom, lead based paint, lead pencils, and of course lead poisonig.

NEWSFLASH - there are people in the world OTHER than Americans. :rolleyes:

I can appreciate your thread Bouillon, but coming from New Orleans where we say such things as "I have to go make groceries" instead of stating I need to go to the grocery store and so many other strange things, you would be correcting me a lot! I have to be perfect on my job, but I am here for fun. If I do not spell something properly, so what..No disrepect intended.

I love accents from all over the world, but the Italians have the most beautiful language IMHO.

Boy do I feel embarrassed. I always heard that the Lead/Led thing was for the benefit of the Americans and not the British. Now I see where you were coming from.

So do you over there drop the 'a' in other instances where lead procedes another noun? I guess I'm getting an education in this thread.

Sorry Knebby, and thanks for the correction.

Cheers,

Brad

We didnt drop the "a" Brad, Jimmy did, sometning about "The Who LIVE at Leeds" album confusing some people. :slapface:

Regards, Danny

Sod off.

Well would you look at that :rolleyes:.

Despite her thread-jacking, I have the grace to agree with her - 'Thank god there are people in the world other than Americans and British' - and that's the thanks I get. I'll know what to do next time, won't I?

I guess there's just a meanness in this world...

I can only guess that I am one of those people you are referring to in the above post, and if so, there is an explanation.

I was stationed for nearly 3 years in Germany, where I spent most of my free time travelling around Europe and the United Kingdom, picking up English habits along the way. After a while, the English-english subconsciously integrated with my American-english to the point that it is now just out of habit that I use the "ou" spelling of certain words, or use a particular English turn-of-phrase instead of the American vernacular.

For instance, "fancy a shag?" instead of "wanna fuck?"

Was that something you found yourself saying a lot, Strider? laugh.gif

Was that something you found yourself saying a lot, Strider? laugh.gif

Umm...less than I wanted, more than I care to admit. :D

Brad, BigDan is just winding you up...think about it: Live at Leeds came out THREE YEARS after Zeppelin's formation, so how could that have figured into the band's name?

Peter Grant dropping the "A" in Led was one of the greatest decisions in music history.

Danny,

You mean some people actually thought the band lived at Leeds? Who could be that stupid to think that is what that meant? Let's see: A concert performance recorded LIVE by the band The Who. I actually had to read your post a couple of times before I noticed the capitalized "LIVE". At first I was thinking there was some confusion with the pronunciation of 'Leeds'.

The English language if full of dual pronounced words that have different meanings. A classic one is wind and wind.

The wind blows.

Wind the clock.

I have to beleive that English speaking people (who BTW were always intended to be the main target audience of Led Zeppelin), would never have had a problem with "LEAD ZEPPELIN". Because if what Knebby suggest; that it was about people in countries other than the UK, USA, Canada etc. Then the bigger problem would have been in my opinion the complete lack of understanding by non English speakers for the root explanation of the heavy / light phrase. A phrase based on a common (common to English speakers) quip, "that would go over like a lead balloon."

As to the Who Live at Leeds. All that was needed was to insert the translated word for 'live' (live performance) in whatever language that album was being marketed to. Films do this all the time. There are alternate titles depending on the zones where the films are being distributed.

Cheers,

Brad

Hi Brad,

A Radio DJ who was doing a live show was asked by someone exactly that, i think "Led" was such a good choice for the name, much better than "Lead" as there is no confusion as to the meaning and pronounciation. :D

Kind Regards, Danny

An American on a visit to the UK goes into a Tobacconist. He asks the shop assistant "Can i get a pack of The best Havanna Cigars you have" The assistant replies " Sorry sir, We don't do self service.

A little hungry he later visits Macburgers and asks the Macburger assistant "Triple Cheese burger, Maxi Fries and a half bucket of Cola to go" The assistant asks "Where would you like your order to go to to sir".

Hi All,

Why do some people say how much they know about spelling and grammer and how they work in a professional atmosphere on here and then post like 5 year olds who have no understanding of language or etiquette?

Regards, Danny

PS And why do people object to my conformaty to said understandings of language and etiquette?

I can appreciate your thread Bouillon, but coming from New Orleans where we say such things as "I have to go make groceries" instead of stating I need to go to the grocery store and so many other strange things, you would be correcting me a lot! I have to be perfect on my job, but I am here for fun. If I do not spell something properly, so what..No disrepect intended.

I love accents from all over the world, but the Italians have the most beautiful language IMHO.

You're very right. My boyfriend's from New Orleans, and he's always saying things that make me stop and say, "WTF?" Though after years of being with him, I'm used to most of it now, but sometimes he'll pull out a new one taht has me going: :unsure:

While we're in the grammar thread, I HATE, HATE, HATE it when people say things like, "My feet hurt real bad," or "I'm real, real, hungry," or "He's a real nice guy."

It's "REALLY" you guys! It's an intensifier, NOT a generic adjective! :angry:

(My mom and sisters do it ALL the time.)

Archived