Bouillon's Grammar Correctional Facility

bouillon

FTFY. Your original sentence beginning with 'If' was not grammatically valid as it stood.

I have seen and enjoyed your reviews, and found your grammar, spelling and syntax to be very pleasing. But since you've thrown down the gauntlet, I'll get some provisions in later and settle down for a damn good nit-pick :D.

Doh! :slapface:

I hope you have plenty of red ink on hand!

Ha....this thread reminds me of a member of our car club, a former teacher. I am the treasurer and occasionally send out mailings for dues, announcements, etc. When the mailing came back, it would have red marks circled where I made my mistakes. He just couldn't help himself and old habits never die. I'm surprised it didn't come back with a grade too. :D

Do I need help? Any mistakes? What's my grade?

Ha....this thread reminds me of a member of our car club, a former teacher. I am the treasurer and occasionally send out mailings for dues, announcements etc. When the mailing came back, it would have red marks circled where I made my mistakes. He just couldn't help himself, and old habits never die. I'm surprised it didn't come back with a grade, too. :D

Do I need help? Any mistakes? What's my grade?

Although I have noticed some glaring frailties in a few of your other posts, I can only come up with really pedantic points here, ledzepfvr. In addition to the corrections in red, I wouldn't put a comma before 'etc'. Furthermore, 'Any mistakes?' is an invalid sentence, because it doesn't contain a verb.

More debatably, I would question your use of 'a former teacher' at the end of a sentence, but I'm not at all sure of my ground here. From my shaky recollection of the rules governing clauses, I have a feeling that it is invalid. However, it would certainly be legitimised by the addition of 'who was'.

I have admitted elsewhere that clause rules are a topic I never quite grasped; I understood the basics, but some of the more advanced stuff was just too much to bear. Like some aspects of advanced calculus, clause rules made me feel REALLY ANGRY and POTENTIALLY VIOLENT for some reason. So if you want chapter and verse on this, you'll have to consult a greater and calmer mind than mine.

What's your grade? A solid B+, I'd say.

Although I have noticed some glaring frailties in a few of your other posts, I can only come up with really pedantic points here, ledzepfvr. In addition to the corrections in red, I wouldn't put a comma before 'etc'. Furthermore, 'Any mistakes?' is an invalid sentence, because it doesn't contain a verb.

More debatably, I would question your use of 'a former teacher' at the end of a sentence, but I'm not at all sure of my ground here. From my shaky recollection of the rules governing clauses, I have a feeling that it is invalid. However, it would certainly be legitimised by the addition of 'who was'.

I have admitted elsewhere that clause rules are a topic I never quite grasped; I understood the basics, but some of the more advanced stuff was just too much to bear. Like some aspects of advanced calculus, clause rules made me feel REALLY ANGRY and POTENTIALLY VIOLENT for some reason. So if you want chapter and verse on this, you'll have to consult a greater and calmer mind than mine.

What's your grade? A solid B+, I'd say.

I'll take that.

Hi all,

A wee bit off topic.Boullion is the grammer correct? :)

What arguments, unless the reference was meant to be the lead zeppelin in a squadron of zeppelins? I believe that even we silly Americans would have understood the contrast between "lead" a heavy element, and the lightness of a ship that is meant to be lighter than air.

Led Zeppelin seemed to borrow the contrasting name style from Iron Butterfly anyway.

Depending on who's account is accurate,Jimmy's,Moon's,JE's or Cole's, of the name.I think it was Peter's who dropped the A,oui?Light&shade,heavy&light,...

No matter,if Brad or I pronounced it,it would still be lead,which also means: "I will lead you to battle!" ;)

Bonzo,Jonesy,Percy,...to the stage!

KB

Hi all,

A wee bit off topic.Boullion is the grammer correct? :)

Depending on who's account is accurate,Jimmy's,Moon's,JE's or Cole's, of the name.I think it was Peter's who dropped the A,oui?Light&shade,heavy&light,...

No matter,if Brad or I pronounced it,it would still be lead,which also means: "I will lead you to battle!" ;)

Bonzo,Jonesy,Percy,...to the stage!

KB

Hi Kev,

But what if a far sighted Jimmy reallt ment "Light Emitting Diode ZEPPELIN"?

I bet you lot never thought of that did ya? ;)

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,all,

Hi Kev,

Very Kind Regards, Danny

I did Mate! I don't think they were commercially available in the late 60's :lol:

KB

Hi Brad,all,

Damn the torpedoes! Give me the correct spelling of lead or give me nothing!

However I do have a question, or maybe a "peeve" as I thought of mentioning it in the pet peeves thread but didn't. But what's all this with the whilst instead of while stuff? Wikipedia is ripe with 'whilst'; sometimes I feel like editing it myself. I understand that is the way you say it over in jolly olde England. But over here it sounds like someone reciting something out of the King James Bible.

Is it proper English or an archaic word as I have always suspected?Cheers,Brad

Yes,I was going to post in the Thank You England topic about this,Yet bullllion in his wisdom started this topic.Professor Tolkien had something to say about this,.... ;)

KB

All,

Damn the torpedoes! Give me the correct spelling of lead or give me nothing!

However I do have a question, or maybe a "peeve" as I thought of mentioning it in the pet peeves thread but didn't. But what's all this with the whilst instead of while stuff? Wikipedia is ripe with 'whilst'; sometimes I feel like editing it myself. I understand that is the way you say it over in jolly olde England. But over here it sounds like someone reciting something out of the King James Bible.

Is it proper English or an archaic word as I have always suspected?

Cheers,

Brad

I expect most properly-spoken English sounds like that to you lot :D

Yes, it is proper. However, while 'whilst' is not exactly archaic, it has become a common victim of the dumbing-down process.

Both while and whilst are ancient, though while is older. There’s no difference in meaning between them. For reasons that aren’t clear, whilst has survived in British English but has died out in the US. However, in Britain it is considered to be a more formal and literary word than its counterpart.

What arguments, .

You have to be kidding me - I still hear DJs pronouncing Lynyrd Skynyrd wrongly, and they even had an album title telling you how to say their name.

I would bet you a thousand quid that there would have been some people stubbornly refusing to say the name in any other way than the one they thought "right".

Peter Grant wasn't daft - and however much you may want to argue about it, that's the top and bottom of it.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see what pronunciation has to do with grammar.

Pronunciation is an entirely separate issue. For example, a Geordie or a Scot might have a perfect grasp of grammar, but have woeful pronunciation. They might thus render themselves unintelligible in the flesh away from their native area, yet retain total credibility witihin the written milieu. It is the latter with which this thread is concerned.

"I will not wear a crown of gold where my Savior wore one of thorns" - Godfrey of Bouillon

The proper English spelling is; Saviour.

I'm surprised you missed that one Bouillon, me old son!?

The proper English spelling is; Saviour.

I'm surprised you missed that one Bouillon, me old son!?

I'm making allowances for American English, Reggie. It would be churlish not to, much as it pains me to let these atrocities slip past.

Something I've noticed is that not all Americans are consistent with their mis-spelling of certain words. Some people seem to retain the letter U in words where it is usually dropped in the US - for example, favour, honour etc. There are at least two possible explanations for this: (1) maybe they are ex-pat Brits, and (2) maybe there are two tiers of English tuition in the US, and these U-retainers represent people who received the better type of education?

Hi Kev,

Very Kind Regards, Danny

Where's Bouillon when you need him? my spelling is attritious at times init? :lol:

Regards, ME.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see what pronunciation has to do with grammar.

Pronunciation is an entirely separate issue. For example, a Geordie or a Scot might have a perfect grasp of grammar, but have woeful pronunciation. They might thus render themselves unintelligible in the flesh away from their native area, yet retain total credibility witihin the written milieu. It is the latter with which this thread is concerned.

Hey thread police, have a word with your mate D Brad, it was him that I was responding to.

Archived