very best 1977 live recording AND performance

BBMac

Hello all, I've been searching the web for a (fairly) definitive concert from 1977 (both good recording - I don't mind audience vs soundboard - and good performance)

Would you all agree it's Listen to This Eddie?

Eye Thank Ewe.

Badgeholders is a great show with the surprising appearance of Keith Moon. Welcome to the club!

Thanks ledzepfilm, I used to have 2 double lps of that show, way back in the 80's I think the pressing may have been poor, it didn't sound too great and I was happy offload it, but I'll look into that show again now.

Definitely the Millard LA Forum performances, either 6/21, 6/23, or 6/25. If you are downloading, look for a Winston Remaster as they tend to be the best sounding of any version of a given show.

thanks, I read good things about the WR Millard of LTTE and the GM LTTE.

I have some cash and was after a vinyl buzz (it's been a while) so had a browse on discogs and saw this beauty :

http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Destroyer/release/2752696

(even though it is NOT their best performance, seriously tempted.)

Anyone have one of these Destroyers? Does it sound as good as the other pressings?

I think the original vinyl release of "Badgeholders" sounds slightly better than the Millard tape...a discussion of which took place previously here.

But yeah, for best performance AND sound of 1977, the TWO MUST-HAVES are 6-21 Listen to This, Eddie and 6-23 For Badgeholders Only.

Definitely the Millard LA Forum performances, either 6/21, 6/23, or 6/25. If you are downloading, look for a Winston Remaster as they tend to be the best sounding of any version of a given show.

I would certainly agree with this. Probably the best performances of the tour and sound quality available. Although, I also like the MSG performance from June 7th which is good quality as well.

thanks, I read good things about the WR Millard of LTTE and the GM LTTE.

I have some cash and was after a vinyl buzz (it's been a while) so had a browse on discogs and saw this beauty :

http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Destroyer/release/2752696

(even though it is NOT their best performance, seriously tempted.)

Anyone have one of these Destroyers? Does it sound as good as the other pressings?

It's always cool to have some of these releases in vinyl form, but nowadays when you can get them for free, I feel is a much better option. I used to pay for these years ago, when that was basically the easiest way I could obtain these, before the internet.

I have that "Destroyer" that is pictured in the link. The quality is generally quite good, although I found it played a bit slow. Not one of their more inspired performances from the '77 tour. The previous night in Cleveland, although an AUD is a much better show and one of the best from '77. Great version of NQ with Jonesey's piano improv, Nutrocker and Jimmy's blues solo after this, even though the song is cut at around the 22 minute mark.

thanks for all your replies guys, appreciate the help :)

I think it'll be LTTE and Badgeholders from the web for now and maybe some vinyl purchases in the near future.

thanks a lot, you are good people x

I think it'll be LTTE and Badgeholders from the web for now and maybe some vinyl purchases in the near future.

If you're looking for a soundboard from '77, the first night in NYC (June 7) is a fine choice. Not only does it sound nice, but it's a really good performance too.

If you're looking for a soundboard from '77, the first night in NYC (June 7) is a fine choice. Not only does it sound nice, but it's a really good performance too.

And it also includes Nutrocker during No Quarter.

Here are the available SBD recordings from 1977 (correct me if I'm missing anything)

Richford Coliseum, April 27th, 1977

The Summit, May 21st, 1977

Capital Centre, May 26th, 1977

Capital Centre, May 28th, 1977

Madison Square Garden, June 7th, 1977

LA Forum, June 23rd, 1977 (Guitar Solo)

Seattle Kingdome, July 17th, 1977

Here are the available SBD recordings from 1977 (correct me if I'm missing anything)

Richford Coliseum, April 27th, 1977

The Summit, May 21st, 1977

Capital Centre, May 26th, 1977

Capital Centre, May 28th, 1977

Madison Square Garden, June 7th, 1977

LA Forum, June 23rd, 1977 (Guitar Solo)

Seattle Kingdome, July 17th, 1977

Kinda ironic that only the least interesting part of 6/23/77 is available as soundboard! Someday maybe!

Interesting. Thanks for the info Tom.

No Worries. I think it proves that Jimmy has a tonne of soundboards locked away, lets hope they see the light of day some time in the future! An 'official' bootleg series like quite a few other bands and artists have done would be awesome, but sadly I don't think it will happen with Jimmy being the perfectionist he is.

No Worries. I think it proves that Jimmy has a tonne of soundboards locked away, lets hope they see the light of day some time in the future! An 'official' bootleg series like quite a few other bands and artists have done would be awesome, but sadly I don't think it will happen with Jimmy being the perfectionist he is.

You're probably right about this unfortunately. Let's hope some of this we get to experience eventually. Like Dylan's Bootleg Series or The Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks or the amount of live shows Phish releases. Would love to see Jimmy do something along the lines of this, but unlikely.

You're probably right about this unfortunately. Let's hope some of this we get to experience eventually. Like Dylan's Bootleg Series or The Grateful Dead's Dick's Picks or the amount of live shows Phish releases. Would love to see Jimmy do something along the lines of this, but unlikely.

I find it quite strange that Page is such a perfectionist with live releases in this day and age, when back in the 70s he was all about the 'tight but loose' and improvisational feel of the band live.

I find it quite strange that Page is such a perfectionist with live releases in this day and age, when back in the 70s he was all about the 'tight but loose' and improvisational feel of the band live.

I'm guessing that in Page's mind the shows of the mid/late 70's became visual aswell as musical performances that cannot be as fully represented by an audio only release.

Just look at what he's released recently, the only post 72 live audio to come out is the new TSRTS soundtrack and even that was mostly about bringing it inline with the film.

Archived