very best 1977 live recording AND performance

BBMac

I'm guessing that in Page's mind the shows of the mid/late 70's became visual aswell as musical performances that cannot be as fully represented by an audio only release.

Just look at what he's released recently, the only post 72 live audio to come out is the new TSRTS soundtrack and even that was mostly about bringing it inline with the film.

That's a good point, from the audience and pro shot video I've seen this would definitely seem true, what with Jimmy and Robert running all around the stage, jumping etc.

It sucks that they were so slack with documenting anything on video though. I'd kill for another pro shot show from '77 other than Seattle but I don't think one exists. The Silverdome footage would have been leaked by now if it existed imo, but we can still hope!

Here are the available SBD recordings from 1977 (correct me if I'm missing anything)

Richford Coliseum, April 27th, 1977

The Summit, May 21st, 1977

Capital Centre, May 26th, 1977

Capital Centre, May 28th, 1977

Madison Square Garden, June 7th, 1977

LA Forum, June 23rd, 1977 (Guitar Solo)

Seattle Kingdome, July 17th, 1977

Well I was at the Capial Centre show on May 30th. The last one. And many have said Page was carried off the stage on the show the 28th. Two nights before I saw them and I saw them the last night. I have often heard my show was the best of the five or six? The Ocean could give an accurate account if he ever reads this. He was at them all. I would still never trade the time I saw them. It was after Precense an I got to hear alot of Physical Grafitti. So I really got to hear the entirety of their productions except In Through the Outdoor which I can live without. I love Fool in the Rain off that one. So I question the Capital Centre concerts and which were the best. I was there when Plant's shirt caught fire and I was terrified they would walk off the stage. Luckily they did not. Ok Ocean. Where are you?

While we're at the subject, does anyone know if some multitrack recordings from the 1977 US Tour are locked in the vaults ? I think Page has said in an interview released after the 2003 dvd that this tour was one of his favourite.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, seaweed gate, but I don't think there's any multitracks of 1977. According to Steve Jones and my audio geek friends, the sign of a gig that's being multitracked is two mics on Bonham's bass drum.

I didn't see two mics on Bonzo's kick at any of the 1977 Forum concerts...nor 1975 and 1973 for that matter. David Zoso has seen more 1977 shows than me, so maybe he can tell you, but in all the photos I've seen of the 1977 tour, I don't think I've ever seen any evidence of multitrack recording being done.

Soundboards, yes. Videotracks, yes. But no multitracks.

That's a good point, from the audience and pro shot video I've seen this would definitely seem true, what with Jimmy and Robert running all around the stage, jumping etc.

It sucks that they were so slack with documenting anything on video though. I'd kill for another pro shot show from '77 other than Seattle but I don't think one exists. The Silverdome footage would have been leaked by now if it existed imo, but we can still hope!

I'd guess part of the problem was that various disasters kept on cutting the touring short in the latter years. The 75 and 77 tours were afterall "comeback" shows with the band only really getting back to there best in the latter stages.

I wouldnt be supprized for example if Page was planning to film some of summer 75 US shows for a film release but only went back to the TRSTS footage due to Plants injury.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, seaweed gate, but I don't think there's any multitracks of 1977. According to Steve Jones and my audio geek friends, the sign of a gig that's being multitracked is two mics on Bonham's bass drum.

I didn't see two mics on Bonzo's kick at any of the 1977 Forum concerts...nor 1975 and 1973 for that matter. David Zoso has seen more 1977 shows than me, so maybe he can tell you, but in all the photos I've seen of the 1977 tour, I don't think I've ever seen any evidence of multitrack recording being done.

Here are some photos of the band playing at Southampton University on 1/22/73. It is widely known that the show was multi-tracked, and these photos certainly confirm the "two mic" theory:

scan5.jpg

scan0004.jpg

Closer look:

scan0003b.jpg

Two mics is not a good barometer to go by. Note the photo below of MSG '73 - one mic. ( on the kick - you CAN see extra overhead mics in this case though) They can easily split the

feed if needed, one to the house, one to a recording truck. On the other side, note that Bonzo often had two mics on his kick

during the '80 tour. Simply for sound, not necessarily recording to multi-track. Of course, the farther back you go, like pre-'72,

the more likely that two mics could mean recording, because that was more common then.

grand_finale_f.jpg

Two mics is not a good barometer to go by. Note the photo below of MSG '73 - one mic. ( on the kick - you CAN see extra overhead mics in this case though) They can easily split the

feed if needed, one to the house, one to a recording truck. On the other side, note that Bonzo often had two mics on his kick

during the '80 tour. Simply for sound, not necessarily recording to multi-track. Of course, the farther back you go, like pre-'72,

the more likely that two mics could mean recording, because that was more common then.

grand_finale_f.jpg

I don't know where that photo is from, but pop in your Song Remains the Same DVD. There are clearly two mics on the drum set.

Perhaps the photo you posted was from the Shepperton recreation. I guess someone had forgotten to stage the second mic. Other photos I've seen from Shepperton only have one mic as well.

Yeah, mikezep61, that photo looks like it is from Shepperton...Jones is wearing that GHASTLY wig.

As for Southampton, yes I knew about that show being multitracked. When I mentioned not seeing any signs of multitrack recording in 1973 or 75, I was just referring to the shows I saw in LA.

Thanks for the technical explanation regarding the two mics on the bass drum.

Shit !

Does it all mean we'll never see Jimmy Page release an offical 1977 live recording because he is too a perfectionnist soundwise to consider worthy of attention a "simple" rough soundboard ?

Another thing I don't understand : there's plenty of mics around John Bonham's drums in 1977. Why oh why the need of two mics on the bass drum precisely to record on a multitrack basis ? The other mics could capture the sound as well ?

LA Forum, 6-25-72 i.e. "How the West Was Won"

LZla72.jpg

I'm not sure if that picture is actually from LA 6/25/72. The photos below are allegedly from LA 6/25/72 (notice the double mics on the bass drum, as well as Bonzo wearing a dark shirt in the photos, as opposed to the white shirt in the photo above). I believe the photo you posted may actually be from the San Bernardino 6/22/72 show (Bonzo was wearing a white shirt and Page wore jeans that night, and I had the exact photo with a San Bernardino file name).

1893.jpg

2204.jpg

2203.jpg

Here's a photo that's allegedly from 6/27/72 Long Beach (although they're wearing the same clothing as LA 6/25/72, so who knows for sure):

72-06-27eric.jpg

Yet again, there's the dual mic'd bass drum for a known multi-track show!

Here's a photo that's allegedly from 6/27/72 Long Beach (although they're wearing the same clothing as LA 6/25/72, so who knows for sure):

72-06-27eric.jpg

Nope.

Look closely at John Paul's shirt. He doesn't wear the same clothe as the LA pics you have posted before.

Anyway thank you for the pics and the explanation.:)

Nope.

Look closely at John Paul's shirt. He doesn't wear the same clothe as the LA pics you have posted before.

Anyway thank you for the pics and the explanation.:)

Good eyes! That just confirms that both the 6/25/72 & 6/27/72 shows had dual mics on the drum set. Regardless of whether a show can be multi-tracked without dual mics on the bass drum, it appears that Zeppelin used them when they did multi-track recording. (Going back to the original question of whether the band had multi-tracked any other shows and if dual mics on the bass drum would be an indicator)

• 1 month later...

Here are the available SBD recordings from 1977 (correct me if I'm missing anything)

Richford Coliseum, April 27th, 1977

The Summit, May 21st, 1977

Capital Centre, May 26th, 1977

Capital Centre, May 28th, 1977

Madison Square Garden, June 7th, 1977

LA Forum, June 23rd, 1977 (Guitar Solo)

Seattle Kingdome, July 17th, 1977

There is NO true soundboard recording for Seattle...all the so-called Seattle soundboards are simply recordings of the video soundtrack, nothing more, nothing less. Big difference there.

Also forgetting the June 11 MSG No Quarter>Ten Years Gone>Battle Of Evermore snippet...that is my favourite '77 Zeppelin soundboard bit. IMO that's the only decent '77 soundboard (where the fuck is the rest of it?!).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For Badge holders Only is the better performance of the two in my opinion.

Listen to Jimmy jam on that guitar solo track... if you never heard this one...you should.

If you would like to listen to this show, message me for the link. It's downloadable and free.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the show on 6/7/77, it was the opening night for the week of shows at madison sq. garden in NYC. i was 16 yrs old, it was my first concert at MSG, the band came on about an hour late, everytime the pre recorded music ended, the crowd roared, and when another song started, the crowd became more excited until finally the lights dimmed and jimmy ran out in his white zoso suit with the double neck guitar and went right into the song remains the same, it was phenomenal!!! a religious experience!!! i stood there in front of jimmy with my mouth opened in awe!!! i couldn't believe i was in the presence of my idol, the sound was fantastic, the lights were amazing, jimmy had a green laser pyramid surround him during dazed and confused, which rotated when he struck the guitar with his violin bow, bonzo also had laser lights coming from his drum sticks during moby dick, it was amazing!!! there was even an inside joke, it was the queens 25th anniversary, and robert announced this fact by dedicating a song for her, in my time of dying!!! the only bad happening of the night was the fireworks, someone threw am m-80 on the stage and it blew up near jimmy, they almost didnt come out for the encore, but eventually did and closed the show, it was fantastic, the best concert i've ever seen, i saw pink floyd there one month later and yes in august, that was the best summer of my life, i've seen hundreds of concerts in my life, but nothing compares to led zeppelin, i also saw jimmy with the firm, the black crowes, and i even met him in key west in '98 at ricks bar. LONG LIVE LED ZEPPELIN, LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, no love for "The Dragon Snake"? I thought it was a pretty good show... the show from Pontiac is great if you can get past the sound quality.

Pontiac is waaaay better than Houston IMO (Houston is actually a pretty mediocre show which Bonham decided to boost with some very ill advised overplaying- he does the same thing the next night in Fort Worth, turning "In My Time Of Dying" in particular into a trainwreck near the end). And the Pontiac recording actually isn't half bad considering it was recorded in a huge tin can packed with 76,000 people. It could very well be the best show of the 1st leg of the tour, along with April 28th, April 23rd and April 10th (IMO). Mind ya, that impression could be completely blown to hell if the video or soundboard recording should ever appear (witness the June 7 show- sounds great on the audience tape until you hear how sloppy it really was on the soundboard)

I still say the good '77 shows outweigh the bad ones by a fair margin, though.

Archived