Jimmy and The Yardbirds 2012?

Black-Dog

Today as I was pulling into the parking lot of the grocery store I heard on XM channel 26 Classic Vinyl that The Yardbirds are getting together to tour, the announcer only mentioned Chris Dreja and Jim McCarty. I came home and looked on The Yardbirds website and see that they have a whole line up of musicians and tour dates. What I was hoping to see was Jimmy Page's name as guitar player . I think it would work out really good to have Jimmy play with the Yardbirds again, What do you guys think?

Does somebody know something about it?

Jimmy's stint with the Yardbirds was the least popular. Although Jimmy did contribute some guitarwork to a Yardbirds lp (back in the 80s I believe) I don't think Jimmy should be involved. He should be working on that next solo lp.

Jimmy's stint with the Yardbirds was the least popular. Although Jimmy did contribute some guitarwork to a Yardbirds lp (back in the 80s I believe) I don't think Jimmy should be involved. He should be working on that next solo lp.

He played on "Asylum" from Strange Land, the second album by Box of Frogs, which was essentially comprised of Yardbirds alumni.

I never quite could figure out how there could be a "Yardbirds" reunion of any kind. Keith Relf is dead and long gone. Relf was just the voice on all of those classic Yardbirds tunes..........apparently no great loss then :slapface:

I never quite could figure out how there could be a "Yardbirds" reunion of any kind. Keith Relf is dead and long gone. Relf was just the voice on all of those classic Yardbirds tunes..........apparently no great loss then :slapface:

Losing key members doesn't seem to stop a lot of bands from touring without them. Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zant would be one example but there's also Little Feat without Lowell George, AC/DC without Bon Scott, Blackfoot without Rickey Medlocke, Yes without Jon Anderson, Van Halen without Michael Anthony, Foghat without "Lonesome" Dave, The Doors without Jim Morrison, etc. At one time Molly Hatchet didn't have any original members in the lineup but the majority of their fans fully accepted it. In some cases, such as AC/DC and the Allman Brothers Band, it works but it most cases, it doesn't. It only serves as a reminder of just how vital the missing member, or in the case of Skynyrd, members, were to the original lineup. Most folks don't even care, they just want to hear something that's a very close approximation of what they're used to hearing on the radio. That's beyond sad and fucked up but it's true. It may put me in the minority but who is (or isn't) in the present lineup of a band is of utmost importance to me.

I agree, the lineup really is important. Pity so many bands are just brand names now. Maybe the Yardbirds aren't the best example to use for lineup integrity though. Clapton Beck Page.......maybe the singer doesn't matter that much.

I think it does though.

I agree, the lineup really is important. Pity so many bands are just brand names now. Maybe the Yardbirds aren't the best example to use for lineup integrity though. Clapton Beck Page.......maybe the singer doesn't matter that much.

I think it does though.

The average, casual listener of "Classic Rock" radio probably couldn't even pick Keith Relf out of a lineup but I imagine they're well aware of Clapton, Beck and Page's tenure in the band. I had my mind blown here not long ago when several people 'fessed up to having never heard of Derek Trucks but most everyone here seems to know exactly who Joe Bonamassa is. Go figure...

Speaking of Derek Trucks, boy what a national treasure. All his albums are great and the new Tedeschi Trucks Band 'Revelator' album is sweet (Susan Tedeschi's albums are cool too). I'd like to catch them live (check out Clapton's latest Crossroads DVD for a taste).

In the interest of staying on topic, I wouldn't be too interested in a Yardbirds gig, especially without at least one of the three musketeers involved...

• 2 months later...

The Yardbirds are touring next year 2012. I wonder how many of you know that Chris Dreja took the very early images of Led Zeppelin? They are available as fine art prints and signed by Chris and Jimmy. You can view them at vaarta(dot)co

Big kiss x

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a Yardbirds concert a few years ago in a small club of about 500 people. They rocked a version of Over Under Sideways Down and played a downright psychedelic version of I'm Confused (i don't recall if there was a bowed guitar section?) ... they play so many great songs... it was alot of fun.

personally, I do not see Page making a guest appearance as he did say with Donovan. Nothing against their current lead singer, but I'd like to see the Yardbirds have a special type of show say a charity concert with a variety of big name singers then I could see Page making a guest appearance as part of a charity type of event.

Didn't the Yardbirds have their biggest commercial success with Beck. I could see this as more of Beck on guitar for the majority of the show. With Clapton playing some songs and Page playing some songs and then closing the night with all three. I could also see there being other guest artists say Winwood on keyboards (vocals as well), Herbert Sumlin on guitar (bringing the music back to its blues roots), etc.

Losing key members doesn't seem to stop a lot of bands from touring without them. Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zant would be one example but there's also Little Feat without Lowell George, AC/DC without Bon Scott, Blackfoot without Rickey Medlocke, Yes without Jon Anderson, Van Halen without Michael Anthony, Foghat without "Lonesome" Dave, The Doors without Jim Morrison, etc. At one time Molly Hatchet didn't have any original members in the lineup but the majority of their fans fully accepted it. In some cases, such as AC/DC and the Allman Brothers Band, it works but it most cases, it doesn't. It only serves as a reminder of just how vital the missing member, or in the case of Skynyrd, members, were to the original lineup. Most folks don't even care, they just want to hear something that's a very close approximation of what they're used to hearing on the radio. That's beyond sad and fucked up but it's true. It may put me in the minority but who is (or isn't) in the present lineup of a band is of utmost importance to me.

This is exactly why I respect Led Zeppelin so much. When they ended in December 1980 it was the right thing to do. I believe that if they would have continued with say Cozy Powell on drums that it would have turned into a joke and self destructed with the band going out on a low note around 1983-84. They proved they had integrity and that Led Zeppelin were about four very unique musicians. Jimmy was 100% correct, the band was an alchemical process which needed the combining of the four elements, but instead of earth, water, fire, and air it was Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, and Bonham.

I am probably the only person I know who absolutely HATES AC/DC post Bon Scott. IMHO Scott was an incredible frontman and insane singer, HE made AC/DC to me, not Angus Young. Brian Johnson I just can't stand, he sings like shit to me and everything he has done post-For Those About to Rock is all falsetto...very BAD falsetto. I know, it's just my opinion but if the band wanted to continue after Bon Scott's death they should have changed the name at least.

Ok, now everyone can slam the shit out of me. Besides, it's not like I can sing, I am a goddam guitar player who makes his living off of talking to psychologically damaged people.

This is exactly why I respect Led Zeppelin so much. When they ended in December 1980 it was the right thing to do. I believe that if they would have continued with say Cozy Powell on drums that it would have turned into a joke and self destructed with the band going out on a low note around 1983-84. They proved they had integrity and that Led Zeppelin were about four very unique musicians. Jimmy was 100% correct, the band was an alchemical process which needed the combining of the four elements, but instead of earth, water, fire, and air it was Jimmy, Robert, JPJ, and Bonham.

I admire them for this as well but on the other hand you have folks that say they wish Terry Reid had taken the lead singer spot. If so, the dynamic likely would have dramatically shifted and we wouldn't have ended up with the explosive force that Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham created. That's one thing we'll never know for sure. The same holds true for those longing for a full fledged Zeppelin reunion, it just can't happen without the presence of John Bonham. Perhaps it can be approximated (even without Jason) but it will never be duplicated.

I am with you all the way on this one Jahfin.

I doubt this would ever happen, but you never know! If Jimmy was to perform any full length concerts with anyone it would include most likely include Led Zeppelin songs.

I believe the only time Jimmy Page played a full length concert, and did not play Zeppelin songs, was with Roy Harper back in 84-85 when they performed a predominantly acoustic set at folk festivals in the UK under various guises such as The MacGregors, and Themselves.

My hope is that Jimmy and Roy an acoustic record together and release it on vinyl only! I'm dreaming hard, but I do feel they have a good musical connection.

Archived