Dave Grohl tells it like it was (for him)

The guy is such a poser... I can't stand his mugging in The Foo Fighters videos. I don't care if he's a good drummer he's so wrong in every way. Everytime he dresses in drag and mugs at the camera I want to slam his....whatever. Jason is awesome, correct and has a beautiful vibe, this is disrespectful to him. He's jumped huge hurdles to get this seat and we should embrace his success as a benchmark for us all. If they tour he will just get better and better. Grohl will cheapen the entire legacy with his MTV pop sensibilities and cartoony mug.

The thing no one seems to mention or realize is this...all the times Grohl mentioned in interviews that he'd love to play drums for Zeppelin, IT WAS NEVER THOUGHT ZEPPELIN WAS GOING TO REFORM!!! It was pure fantasy and 'what if?' talk. It's not like a reunion tour was set, and he was jockeying for the job. It's like me saying, "if George Lucas ever re-makes the original Star Wars, I'd love to play Han Solo". No indication it'll ever happen, so it's just fun talk.

And no, Grohl is not a poser. A "poser" indicates someone who is not genuine. There is no one in rock more down to earth and genuine than Grohl.

wow a lot of uptight people on this board really hating on Grohl........he's obviously both a huge fan and a pretty gifted talent himself. He's shown nothing but humility and respect to the band and Jason. So he always dreamed of playing drums for Zeppelin, and would do it today if given the chance? This makes him a bad guy, why?

Jeez, Jason himself admitted to maybe taking his chances to play with Zep in the past a little for granted and not really being totally prepared, just because he's Bonzo's son doesn't entitle him to anything. Funny thing is, he realizes this, and some of the fans here don't. That being said, he did an awesome job this time around.

wow a lot of uptight people on this board really hating on Grohl........he's obviously both a huge fan and a pretty gifted talent himself. He's shown nothing but humility and respect to the band and Jason. So he always dreamed of playing drums for Zeppelin, and would do it today if given the chance? This makes him a bad guy, why?

Jeez, Jason himself admitted to maybe taking his chances to play with Zep in the past a little for granted and not really being totally prepared, just because he's Bonzo's son doesn't entitle him to anything. Funny thing is, he realizes this, and some of the fans here don't. That being said, he did an awesome job this time around.

Sorry, I just hate The Foo Fighters and don't see them as a serious band. Their songs are little ditties and when I saw them they were barely able to play them. I see pictures of Dave with a towel on his head mugging for the camera and I wonder how can anyone like this pathetic junk. Granted, he may be a nice person and a great drummer and he's clearly a smart buisnessman but when I saw his name mentioned as a possible Zeppelin drummer I was stunned. The only thing they have in common is that they both played in bands that met tragic ends. Plus I saw him dose an flight crew!

Sorry, I just hate The Foo Fighters and don't see them as a serious band. Their songs are little ditties and when I saw them they were barely able to play them. I see pictures of Dave with a towel on his head mugging for the camera and I wonder how can anyone like this pathetic junk. Granted, he may be a nice person and a great drummer and he's clearly a smart buisnessman but when I saw his name mentioned as a possible Zeppelin drummer I was stunned. The only thing they have in common is that they both played in bands that met tragic ends. Plus I saw him dose an flight crew!

hey you're entitled, just seems like a lot of people are a little too sensitive about the subject, and read way more into anything he said .... further, I'mnot a huge FF fan myself, but that doesn't affect the respect I have for the guy's talent ( i was a huge Nirvana fan however)...I don't know him personally so I can't make any judgements as to his character, but he's always seemd like a pretty humble straight shooter with a good sense of humor to me.......and I love the fact that Naomi Campbell threw a hissy fit when her blackberry got stolen at the O2 show and she blamed Grohl for it........he probably did steal it

I'm not a Foo fan either, but my sister is. She saw the Foos a couple of months ago at the Fillmore East in New York. She was hanging around in the bar next door before the show with some other fans, and Grohl came in. He hung out and talked to them, and asked if they were all coming to the show. One of them said she didn't have a ticket, she was just hanging out with her fellow fans. He took out a piece of paper and wrote down her name, and said he'd get her into the show. Not a lot of "rock stars" would be that accessible or nice.

^ I dunno, I guess 4 previous Grammy wins, and 5 nominations this year make them a serious enough band in my eyes.

---Peace-----We're all entitled to like what we wish.... It used to be cool to love Peter Gabriel and hate Phil Collins, now I can't tell much difference...like em both, I suppose. Putting this aside, has Zep ever won or been nominated for a Grammy? Shame if they didn't win one. Happy Holidays and if Grohl ever gets the job he better be great or else! B-Bender

I love the Foo Fighters. I think they're probably one of the best bands to come out in the past 25 years. I also like Dave Grohl, in a non-homosexual kind of way.

He's a hell of a drummer, guitar player, singer and writer, and he seems like one of the most down-to-Earth, genuine, self-depricating kind of people to ever step foot into rock 'n' roll stardom. Also, he managed to emerge from the rubble of one of history's most influential bands in Nirvana to establish his own awesome, influential band.

I'd feel comfortable sitting next to him on an airplane or having a beer with him.

I can't say that about Robert Plant or maybe Page. I wouldn't know what to say to the guy.

Seems like Jason and JPJ would be a bit easier.

In the world of Zep thinkers, it has been natural to think about Grohl as John Bonham's possible replacement, and he's well-aware of that.

Zep certainly has included him in its circle of friends, and he has been pretty humble about it, from what I can see.

In summary, I would allow him to have my baby.

From ROSS HALFIN's website:

Dave Grohl tells it like it is...

Sir,

Just wanted to thank you for being so accommodating to me and my cast of nerds the other night. It was an epic night, to say the least. Arriving at 10 am that morning, sleeping for three hours, heading to the bottle shop for refreshments to take with in the van, pissing like a Clydesdale upon arrival to the gig, and then the mighty Zeppelin.

Highlights:

For Your Life. Maybe my favorite song of the night, except for Kashmir, which was beyond spot on.

The dry ice machine.

Black Dog. Like they never stopped playing it.

Asking Marilyn Manson if I can give him a hickey. "No". Asking his girlfriend if I can give her a hickey. "Sure!" To which Marilyn replied "No".

Not understanding one fucking word that Liam Gallagher said to me.

Steve Gorman. A good guy.

Peter Mench being nice to me. Sign of the apocalypse? Perhaps.

The entire 2 hours that the band performed.

Without sounding like a cunt, I had waited to see that my whole life, and it did not disappoint. Of course, I had always dreamed about being behind that drum set, but the sheer thrill of being there overcame any envy that I may have had. Jason was fucking great. Face it, he had people like me, Chad Smith, and Steve Gorman watching his every move, all night long, and afterwards we all agreed that he played great. Just three jealous drummers, drinking away our life long dreams of one day jamming with the greatest rock band of all time. Fucking pathetic, we were.........

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for including us in everything. It meant the world to me.

Congratulate the boys for me. Hope they take this circus on the road. If there's an opening for drum tech, you know my number.

Dave

Sir,

Just wanted to thank you for being so accommodating to me and my cast of nerds the other night. It was an epic night, to say the least. Arriving at 10 am that morning, sleeping for three hours, heading to the bottle shop for refreshments to take with in the van, pissing like a Clydesdale upon arrival to the gig, and then the mighty Zeppelin.

Highlights:

For Your Life. Maybe my favorite song of the night, except for Kashmir, which was beyond spot on.

The dry ice machine.

Asking Marilyn Manson if I can give him a hickey. "No". Asking his girlfriend if I can give her a hickey. "Sure!" To which Marilyn replied "No".

Without sounding like a cunt, I had waited to see that my whole life, and it did not disappoint. Of course, I had always dreamed about being behind that drum set, but the sheer thrill of being there overcame any envy that I may have had. Jason was fucking great. Face it, he had people like me, Chad Smith, and Steve Gorman watching his every move, all night long, and afterwards we all agreed that he played great. Just three jealous drummers, drinking away our life long dreams of one day jamming with the greatest rock band of all time. Fucking pathetic, we were.........

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for including us in everything. It meant the world to me.

Congratulate the boys for me. Hope they take this circus on the road. If there's an opening for drum tech, you know my number.

Dave

Sir,

Highlights:

The dry ice machine.

Dave

---Peace-----We're all entitled to like what we wish.... It used to be cool to love Peter Gabriel and hate Phil Collins, now I can't tell much difference...like em both, I suppose. Putting this aside, has Zep ever won or been nominated for a Grammy? Shame if they didn't win one. Happy Holidays and if Grohl ever gets the job he better be great or else! B-Bender

Sounds like the beast has retreated to lick it's wounds.

Sorry, I just watched that QOTSA clip with Grohl, and ummm... no. QOTSA does not sound like LZ and Grohl does not play like Bonham. I think there's a confusion with heavy playing equalling playing like Bonham. His fills are muddy and his kit sounds indistinct (can he tune a drum kit?). Randy Castillo is clearly a better drummer with QOTSA. Grohl looks like he's fighting for his life. I guess that's why he never played with them for any real ammount of time. Don't get me wrong, I loved him with Nirvana, but he fit them with his punk style. Let's face it that's what he is. A punk drummer. There's nothing wrong with that. But he can't swing and I doubt he has the background to play like JHB. JHB was into Motown, Blues, swing, New Orleans Second Line, Joe Morello (hence bare handed playing), Skiffle, Mersy, and 50's era rock and roll. He also played a lot with dynamics and had a finesse and delicacy that I have yet to see from Grohl. Another thing: after watching that QOTSA clip, after looking at all the Zep footage, I have to say that QOTSA were disappointing and bland in comparison. A little monotonous.

--LG

Oh, give the guy a break already. He offered to be their drum tech on the road... that's pretty humble. And this isn't a press release, it's a thank you e-mail he sent Halfin, who posted it in public. That's hardly Grohl going on and on about wanting to be Zeppelin's drummer in a press release.

I think it's great that he's a fan. I think it's great Paul McCartney was apparently out there playing air guitar! What could be better than accomplished musicians being utter nerds in public because of Zepp?? Makes me proud to be a fan.

Exactly Sunchild makes me proud to be a fan as well when you see LZ get this kind of recognition from their contemporaries.

I'm not a Foo fan either, but my sister is. She saw the Foos a couple of months ago at the Fillmore East in New York. She was hanging around in the bar next door before the show with some other fans, and Grohl came in. He hung out and talked to them, and asked if they were all coming to the show. One of them said she didn't have a ticket, she was just hanging out with her fellow fans. He took out a piece of paper and wrote down her name, and said he'd get her into the show. Not a lot of "rock stars" would be that accessible or nice.

Totally agree, not many "rock stars" would do that.

I dont see the big pissy about grohl, why do people NOT like him?

Frankly, i dont trust anyone that doesnt! :D Haha!

He's friendly, funny and a great drummer. Not much more to it.

Someone mentioned above, Bonhams finesse, well personally i love Bonhams style, but i sometimes think , hit them harder!

Archived