MADONNA

Juliet

Hi B:

Thanks for you reply....

Earlier this week I read a terrble nasty review about Madonna's cologne,TRUTH AND DARE...The review was written in The Globe and Mail (Toronto paper) by a female. Today I got a chance to check out this cologne...it smells ok to me...

J :coffee:

Barring a ticket falling into my lap, I'll probably skip this Madonna tour...and I've seen just about every tour of hers from the Like a Virgin tour in 1985 to the Sticky and Sweet tour in 2008.

The best Madonna shows I saw were the 1990 Blonde Ambition and 2001 Drowned World tours. No surprise as those tours were in conjunction with her strongest albums("Like a Prayer" for the Blonde Ambition tour and "Ray of Light"/"Music" for the Drowned World tour).

The other tours I liked were 1987's Who's That Girl? (the best of the early-Madonna period) and 2006's Confessions tour.

The 1985 Like a Virgin tour will always have a soft spot in my heart because that was the show that introduced me to the Beastie Boys and that was Madonna when she still had a little softness to her...before she became a workout-junkie.

Her recent tours have left me a little cold as her ticket prices rise and her arms get scarier and her albums hit-and-miss. I like most of her work up to "Music"...after that, I like it less so.

No question, at over 50, she's a wonder of energy and activity. I give her props and all...but I think she tries too hard sometimes. It all comes off feeling cold and remote somehow. There's no warmth to her performances anymore.

At least, that's the impression I got from the last few times I saw her. Maybe this new tour will see an improvement...I'll wait and see. The tour doesn't hit L.A. until October.

^ Hey Strider, there's already a Pat Bateman tribute thread elsewhere.

Nice pastiche though...

Given my past posting proclivities, I don't blame you for thinking I was putting the con on, MM, but I assure you that Patrick Bateman was the last thing on my mind when I wrote that earlier post.

When I say I like Madonna, it is with sincerity...there is no glibness or irony involved.

I know it is hard for some people to wrap their heads around...how does a guy who professes such love of Led Zeppelin, the Velvet Underground, Iggy and the Stooges, the Clash, among others, also get his kicks from a shiny pop princess like Madonna?

Well, it just goes to show, you never can tell. The best music, whatever the genre, generates an emotional response. You can't always predict how you're going to respond to a band or singer, no matter your usual predilections.

Of course, with me, I ask different things from my pop than I do from my rock. So, if you say to me that Madonna is too slick, too packaged, too phony, and not a real "musician"...well, you're missing the point then. I like my pop shiny and musical authenticity is the last thing I ask for in a "Pop Star". Not that they're always mutually exclusive.

But what Madonna has, and what many of my other pop faves have, is the ability to be sincere in their fakeness...or to put it another way, sincerely insincere. I'll take the supposed fabrications of Madonna's pop over the insincere "authentic" muso musings of the likes of ELP or Dave Mathews Band anyday.

A song like "Oh Father" resonates more with me emotionally than anything in the entire Deep Purple catalog. When I hear "Ray of Light" or "Express Yourself" or "Holiday", I hear the exuberance of life...I feel giddy and alive, and I have a bounce in my step. Which is what the best pop does.

I can hear you say: But what about the musical trickery...the lip-syncing?

First, I will say that having seen Madonna over 10 times, and always watching very closely, I have yet to conclusively catch her lip-syncing. Are there backing tapes, both musically and vocally, used in addition to her band and her own vocals? Probably.

But from my experience, the vocals coming from her mic are live. For one thing, I've seen her flub a lyric or two...and that's something you can't lip-sync.

This is all beside the point of a Madonna show, though...nobody goes to check out a Madonna show to check out the band. You could just as well have a DJ playing the backing tracks, and it would still be fine. Madonna's music sounds great in a dance club, therefore the primary aim of a Madonna concert is to recreate that club experience, only with the added flash of costumes, lighting, choreography.

It's Broadway meets the discotheque, and in this regard Madonna was a pioneer. It was her 1987 "Who's That Girl?" tour that raised the bar for what a stadium show could look like. Before the Stones Steel Wheels tour. before U2's Zoo TV extravaganza, even before Michael Jackson's tour, Madonna was the one who showed what was possible in a stadium setting.

I have more of an issue with rock bands who resort to subterfuge in concert...like ZZ Top and the Who, hiding guitar players and keyboard players behind amps, using backing tapes or MIDI'ing their sound.

So yeah, this guy who loves his noise, his punk, his Zeppelin, also has a soft spot in his heart for Madonna. Particularly the Madge from "Madonna" to "Music".

But I just can't understand how and why anyone would want to sit through (as opposed to dance to) a Madonna show, now or in the past.

Well, there you go, MM...you've answered your own question. We don't sit, we DANCE at a Madonna concert. This ain't no concert where you go to sit and watch the guitar player genuflect on his fretboard for an hour...this ain't a Dream Theatre show. It's basically a dance club for 20,000(or whatever the venue size), and a social mixer.

Obviously, if clubs and mingling aren't your thing, then you probably won't enjoy a Madonna concert. No problem.

I remember a few years ago, during some tragically stoned drive to a distant football (= soccer) game, they announced on the radio that tickets for Madonna's lastest UK tour had sold out in seconds. So I guffawed, and asked 'What the fuck kind of person goes to see Madonna live?' And my mate replied 'Young girls, and gays.' Now I don't know or care which side you bat for, Strider, but you get the gist.

I know what I am and my friends and family know...other than that, it makes no difference what others think. To me, there's nothing wrong with being hetero or homo, black or white, male or female. All I care about is your character and your interests...what kind of music and books you like, etc. That's how I choose my friends.

Horrible bony feet too. Eww.

I'm posting something for you over on the Fetish thread.

Good Morning:

Are you attending any of the Diamond Jubilee events, Major Major? I believe the Flotilla is just about to start...it's @ 8 am here in The Great White North (Ontario)...too early for Juliet to be up....

I just wanted to write that I heard there's a concert on Tuesday re. Diamond Jubilee finale..too bad Madonna is not going to be there...

Juliet :wakeup:

Good Morning:

Are you attending any of the Diamond Jubilee events, Major Major? I believe the Flotilla is just about to start...it's @ 8 am here in The Great White North (Ontario)...too early for Juliet to be up....

I just wanted to write that I heard there's a concert on Tuesday re. Diamond Jubilee finale..too bad Madonna is not going to be there...

Juliet :wakeup:

I need to make a correction...the concert is tonight...at least that's what the promos state now....I thought there was also a concert tomorrow eve ...no Madonna however...

J

PS I still can't believe there was an article about Madonna in THE GLOBE AND MAIL..it's a paper that I see as more for the stockbroker and academic crowd.....and there's nothing wrong with those groups...BRAVO MADONNA!!!!

PSS If TO calms down..I may go to her September show but after the shooting last Sat eve at The Eaton Centre..I'm not sure if I'll venture into that city...

• 1 month later...

Hi;

I checked about tickets for the Toronto show....too expensive.....I have to add in travel and accomodation costs...which would make the adventure even more expensive..therefore no sale, Madge....gotta save for retirement....

Hi;

I checked about tickets for the Toronto show....too expensive.....I have to add in travel and accomodation costs...which would make the adventure even more expensive..therefore no sale, Madge....gotta save for retirement....

Well, you can always just pop in the DVD of one of her earlier tours...I recommend the "Blonde Ambition" or "Ray of Light/Drowned" tours...and sit back with a nice bottle of wine. I prefer a Chianti or red Zinfendel.

I feel you, Juliet, as I'm most likely gonna take a pass on this tour as well. I feel doubly bad for you if you have never seen Madonna, as you're obviously a fan. It's a shame most big pop acts price most of their fans out of a chance of getting tickets.

I saw Madonna live in 2004, and there were far more than just young girls and gays in the audience. I saw people my parents' age, people my age, people younger than me, kids, blacks, whites, plenty of gay men but a whole lot of straight guys too. You go to concerts to listen to music you like, by artists you like. If you like Madonna, go see Madonna. If you don't like Madonna, stay home. Seems simple enough to me.

• 2 months later...

Looks like some folks have come to their senses in NOLA:

New Orleans fans boo Madonna after she demands they vote for Obama

I just heard this a few hours ago on a local radio station....

Musicians, unless they are commonly known for writing political music such as RATM, should keep their mouth shut on politics. It's so tasteless.

I'm glad they booed that whore. If she were to just encourage everyone to vote and left it at that-it might have been OK. But pushing your candidate on a group of people, because you have the spotlight-isn't at all classy.

But, it's Madonna-what do you expect.

celebritries mistake their celebrity for relevence, as this one often does

I think she has made contributions to the "industry" at large although I don't know what they are off hand, initially I thought she had some "it" and "star" qualities then I think that dissolved once I realized I was confusing hype with competence

... just encourage everyone to vote and left it at that-it might have been OK

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have liked a couple fo songs but not a fan really. However, I can't help but watch her whenever I see her. Some singers choose to stay in the "same old, same old" , and that's cool, but you gotta give her props also for constantly changing either musically or in he fashion. I think all those changes would be a hard thing to do for a lot of people.

I think she knows her inner self and all the outside stuff is just fun.

• 1 year later...

I have no idea, but I'm wondering if Madonna is a secret Led Zeppelin fan or perhaps a secret Jimmy Page fan? Notice the clothes she is wearing in this performance, it reminds me of Page. It's a good song by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usabNLrRv-8

This is way before Madge became English. I also don't, and have never had anything by her in my collection. Although I remember her publishing a rather racy book way back, when she was worth a poke ! :shifty:

Archived