Ever have any moral issues downloading concert recordings?

nigelss

HEY

Didnt mean to be rude or, insult your post, Im a huge Zep fan, because of the internet, I have been able to download, TONS, of live concerts, where before the net, I paid 20 bucks per cd for a Zep show, which usually resulted in 60 bucks for a Zep concert, I'm aware of the laws and I buy official releases, I was just making a joke, because I was able to gain alot of Zep shows on the net, JUST Plant solo I have seen live 19 times, I have spent TONS of cash persuing my favorite band, I feel the internet is a great way to share and get live recordings of great bands, so if I am being ignorant, didnt mean to insult you, but do I feel bad for downloading live music, NO, my post was a reflection on the avaliability of great music, if now or in the future any post of mine on THIS GREAT FORUM, insults anybody, it is not my intention, just having fun and enjoying the insight, and information, and opinions that I get from the great people on this sight. No offense meant!

Oh ok! Sorry for freaking out.. All is well.

And to strengthen my point, I pre-ordered Celebration Day from Amazon, I downloaded ILLEGALY, the audio 2 days ago, even though it's in the mail, and today I won the set from my local radio station, which, I cant pick up until Monday, and I'm pissed cause I want to watch it all weekend, AND, about a week from now, even though I will own twice the product, I will Illegal download the video for my iPad, HHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA CHEERS

WOW I thought you were the guy who made the original post, oops, your the guy with the avitar with your middle finger up, UGGH, I wish I didnt reply, I thought the insightful original poster was mad at me, and I was making apoligies to him AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH FUCK OFF

Yes- cant do it. I have never done it ..whether jason bonham does or not ..it's stealing and bootlegging a charity show is the lowest...the advantage is ...Celebration day was all new to me in the theater except for Black dog...and if they dig up any good shows or alternates they will be all new to me...I knew a guy tho that had 600 Beatles bootleg cd's! Back when they were pressed like real cd's...I also know another guy that bootlegs and sells new movies He's currently on Probation and 50,000 dollars poorer...he worked with a friend of mine but his name actually made it around the country wish i could remember...I think they took his computer too...Todd something...many years now..I think cuz wife is part of Sag/Aftra and I have known a few artists and actors(VERY MINOR ones) I just can't do it but am not making any judgements....a lot of guys that like those comic book hero movies at work tend to have them at release I have seen an example and ...to me waiting for the real thing is not usually a long wait and worth it...the boots never look or sound as good..

A Sony Mini Disc for one. A mate lent me his and i did Robert Plants Dreamland show at Manchester. The quality is that good you can hear the tapping of the cymbals on the opening number and I was half way back in the stalls.You pre set the recording level before the show, attach the tiniest mic to your shirt collar and don't clap or talk loudly and bingo!. Believe me the sound is A1 stereo

Before that I did Frank Zappa's Them and Us show at Hammersmith @ 84 with a very expensive Sony recording walkman and was caught twice. Third time and it was to be handed over. Also did BB King at Manchester @ 85 with a walkman and before that Tina Turner with a smuggled in Ghetto blaster (don't ask).

See if you can get a Mini disc recorder on e bay cos i'm not sure if they still make them?

do you have your recordings online so we can check the quality?

I don't. I mean, when you're downloading them, you are actually helping Led Zeppelin by not paying or giving money to the bootleg companies. And you get to enjoy Led Zeppelin live so even if it would raise moral issues, I would do it.

Even Jimmy said it's ok to listen to the bootlegs and have them, exept for studio outtakes or rehearsals or his personal tapes that were stolen, wich I don't listen to often.

• 4 weeks later...

completely- its illegal and stealing from the band....and half the time the cream of the stuff comes out officially...had a guy arrested for boootlegging dvd's Cost him 50,000 and his computer

As far as I see from what you wrote about the DVD's, you confuse bootlegging with counterfeiting.

The statement that half the time the cream of the stuff comes out officially is also crap, since only very very few concerts were recorded on multitrack. Since Jimmy seems to be into perfectionism it is highly unlikely that a non-multitracked concert will ever be released legally by the band.

completely- its illegal and stealing from the band....and half the time the cream of the stuff comes out officially...had a guy arrested for boootlegging dvd's Cost him 50,000 and his computer

We're talking about bootlegs of live shows here, not pirating officially released DVDs. Led Zeppelin live bootlegs have not been officially released by the band and therefore cannot be bought "legally". You're not stealing from the band because Led Zeppelin has never put any of these recordings on sale. If Led Zeppelin were to release every bootleg out there officially in pristine soundboard quality, then there would be an issue; but, unfortunately, they have not done that. There would be a problem with pirating Celebration Day or the Led Zeppelin DVD, but not with downloading unreleased live shows. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant themselves are known to buy Led Zeppelin bootlegs.

• 3 weeks later...

A Sony Mini Disc for one. A mate lent me his and i did Robert Plants Dreamland show at Manchester. The quality is that good you can hear the tapping of the cymbals on the opening number and I was half way back in the stalls.You pre set the recording level before the show, attach the tiniest mic to your shirt collar and don't clap or talk loudly and bingo!. Believe me the sound is A1 stereo

Before that I did Frank Zappa's Them and Us show at Hammersmith @ 84 with a very expensive Sony recording walkman and was caught twice. Third time and it was to be handed over. Also did BB King at Manchester @ 85 with a walkman and before that Tina Turner with a smuggled in Ghetto blaster (don't ask).

See if you can get a Mini disc recorder on e bay cos i'm not sure if they still make them?

Interesting...I used a mini disc recorder for a while. The quality is certainly very good, but the problem for me was the timespan. After 80 minutes, you had to change discs, not too easy to do mid-gig.

Nowadays I use a HD recorder - much smaller and enough capacity to record four hours, more than enough for my requirements.

As far as I can tell, the quality on the HD recorder matches that of the mini disc, but I haven't really done a detailed comparison...

Archived