Carouselambra

tazulike88

I've always loved Carouselambra, and i have always put it in my top 5 .... and today i came by its lyrics, they were so mesmerizing and achingly beautiful ... and i think that the first verse is about the state of the band in the older days Like:

In times of lightness, no intruder dared upon

which is about their great volume and the huge fame in the old days where no other band could dare to compete with them.

And all was joy and hands were raised toward the sun

As love in the halls of plenty overrun.

which is about their great concerts and seas of fans raising their hands toward them in joy.

and the second verse is about their latter days and the tragic events that brought the band down like:

Still in their bliss unchallenged mighty feast,

Unending dances shadowed on the day.

which is about how they were still famous and powerful after the tragic stuff that happened like Karac's death ...

Within their walls, their daunting formless keep,

Preserved their joy and kept their doubts at bay

which is about how the led zeppelin name was the wall that protected the guys and their history that kept them safe from falling behind.

Faceless legions stood in readiness to weep

the faceless legions are other artist that were close to overcome zeppelin.

Just turn a coin, bring order to the fray

i think this was directed to jimmy and his drug problems, if jimmy was to be threatened by other artists he would leave the drugs and concentrate more on protecting the zeppelin name from falling behind.

But no one seemed to question in anyway.

i think this is about the band's state in the latter days ... they were breaking up with every member going on his own road.

i think that the whole third verse was a message to bonzo and pagey and their rockstar life style in the late 70s specially in:

And powerless the fabled sat, too smug to lift a hand

Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.

of course the fabled were bonzo and page, i don't know why they were powerless .. and the foe could be the drugs and alcohol that threatened their performances and their lives, or it could be the other artists that were rising to fame and threatening led zeppelin.

Does any of that makes any sense ??? please tell me because i'm eager to decipher the lyrics to this mysterious piece.

I've always loved Carouselambra, and i have always put it in my top 5 .... and today i came by its lyrics, they were so mesmerizing and achingly beautiful ... and i think that the first verse is about the state of the band in the older days Like:

In times of lightness, no intruder dared upon

which is about their great volume and the huge fame in the old days where no other band could dare to compete with them.

And all was joy and hands were raised toward the sun

As love in the halls of plenty overrun.

which is about their great concerts and seas of fans raising their hands toward them in joy.

and the second verse is about their latter days and the tragic events that brought the band down like:

Still in their bliss unchallenged mighty feast,

Unending dances shadowed on the day.

which is about how they were still famous and powerful after the tragic stuff that happened like Karac's death ...

Within their walls, their daunting formless keep,

Preserved their joy and kept their doubts at bay

which is about how the led zeppelin name was the wall that protected the guys and their history that kept them safe from falling behind.

Faceless legions stood in readiness to weep

the faceless legions are other artist that were close to overcome zeppelin.

Just turn a coin, bring order to the fray

i think this was directed to jimmy and his drug problems, if jimmy was to be threatened by other artists he would leave the drugs and concentrate more on protecting the zeppelin name from falling behind.

But no one seemed to question in anyway.

i think this is about the band's state in the latter days ... they were breaking up with every member going on his own road.

i think that the whole third verse was a message to bonzo and pagey and their rockstar life style in the late 70s specially in:

And powerless the fabled sat, too smug to lift a hand

Toward the foe that threatened from the deep.

of course the fabled were bonzo and page, i don't know why they were powerless .. and the foe could be the drugs and alcohol that threatened their performances and their lives, or it could be the other artists that were rising to fame and threatening led zeppelin.

Does any of that makes any sense ??? please tell me because i'm eager to decipher the lyrics to this mysterious piece.

There is some mention of the meanings behind the lyrics in the In Through The Out Door thread, if you can locate it. Towards the last few pages, I believe you will find postings (by myself) and others of this question(s).

P.S. Carouselambra is a GREAT tune...It's one of my favorite ("less played" tracks)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've never been convinced by Carouselambra. I wouldn't say I dislike it, but it doesn't seem very well thought out. It even seems a little unfinished.

I think if you're having to focus on the lyrics, you're probably admitting that the music's not really so hot.

I've never been convinced by Carouselambra. I wouldn't say I dislike it, but it doesn't seem very well thought out. It even seems a little unfinished.

I think if you're having to focus on the lyrics, you're probably admitting that the music's not really so hot.

Does this apply to all LZ tracks?? in that case the music must be shit to "Since I've been Loving You" by your reckoning. Also are you admitting that you don't listen to the lyrics, if so you really must be as moronic as your name, go back to neverending story and Limahl.

It's too one of my favorites, but it requires a bit of effort to sit through those 10 minutes, the mix is just so heavy that it makes me -on it's own- have the Zeppelin Headache :) and the lyrics just have so much more meaning than what could be understood by the listeners.

It's too one of my favorites, but it requires a bit of effort to sit through those 10 minutes, the mix is just so heavy that it makes me -on it's own- have the Zeppelin Headache :) and the lyrics just have so much more meaning than what could be understood by the listeners.

How can the lyrics have mote meaning if they are not understood??

How can the lyrics have mote meaning if they are not understood??

You misunderstood me, Sir. we know the lyrics and we can understand them, but i always thought that they had hidden meanings, things that only the band knows.

it's a personal feeling, no more.

Carouselambra isn't one of my favorite Zep songs, but I think it's a really interesting track, and periodically I enjoy listening to it. It's got synths, but also some of the eastern influences that would come out in Plant's, and Page & Plant's, works in the 1990s.

The part where it slows down is arguably the best part - and Plant's lyrics are all about the band's late '70s decline, and in particular about Jimmy Page's in particular:

Where was your word, where did you go?

Where was your helping, where was your bow?

Dull is the armour, cold is the day.

Hard was the journey, dark was the way.

Plant's probably writing about Page's decline into heroin addiction, his inconsistent playing skills on the '77 tour, and his general absence from the studio during writing and most of the initial recording of the tracks for In Through the Out Door.

As for that album, my favorite tracks are In the Evening and Fool in the Rain.

noobs on the console at Polar

Agreed. Bonzos drums are waaay to drowned in the mix, and it surprises me that he let them do that, let alone Jimmy.

First time I heard Hot Dog, I thought that it was outrageous how low they had put Bonzos drums on the mix. When I heard that

outtake of Fool In The Rain I couldn't understand how they had gotten from such a Powerfull drum shuffle to this little very well

played kit.

I agree on the bad audio mixing, but i also think that this gave the album a very unique atmosphere, it sounds so different from all the previous albums, Still Zeppelin, but fresh and crisp. and yes Bonzo is way down in the mix, but you can still hear some of his delicious fills, Specially on In the Evening and Carouselambra.

Archived