New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

You can't base what Jimmy has been promoting on when a thread starts here...go and do some research and you will find that at the end of 2010 he started mentioning a new "project" that he was ready to release and it wasn't the O2 dvd.

People need to be serious -- it takes time, effort, and money to do what they've done. Pagey might be a little bad with dates, but c'mon...

Yup. I think he is copying the Black Sabbath Deluxe Edition concept. They are individual two disc digipaks, and they are nice.

Nothing particular unique about the Sabbath sets -- it's just a continuation of Universal's "Deluxe" series, including releases by The Who, Bob Marley, etc.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy has said multiple times that each album will have it's own box set. That article was clearly speculation.

I don't see it in the true sense of what we consider to be box sets. He said that each set has 2 discs, and that would be a pretty slim box set. The Universal 2 disc Deluxes are quasi-box sets, I guess, with a booklet and a fold out digipak cover. That makes the most sense and is an accepted format for Deluxe Editions. They absolutely cannot afford to price these out of the market, seeing as there will be one for each album. An economical digipak will keep the price in line so that there are actual sales. Anything more elaborate is going to have an adverse affect on mass marketing, given the number of albums in the Zep catalogue, and at the end of the day, this is a sales and legacy play.

Edited by The Dark Lord

In 2011 Universal reissued Queen's entire back catalog adding a bonus EP of 5-7 tracks. The selections for the most part were messy. Many but not all the b-sides, some but not all the BBC tracks, previously released live tracks. "Backing tracks" ffs?!!?!?! In hindsight, there was only really one disc worth of anthology material. But I hope these bonus discs will be filled to the brim. It was really just a waste of disc space for Queen..

In 2011 Universal reissued Queen's entire back catalog adding a bonus EP of 5-7 tracks. The selections for the most part were messy. Many but not all the b-sides, some but not all the BBC tracks, previously released live tracks. "Backing tracks" ffs?!!?!?! In hindsight, there was only really one disc worth of anthology material. But I hope these bonus discs will be filled to the brim. It was really just a waste of disc space for Queen..

The same is true of the Sabbath Deluxe Editions. They are for the truest of fans. I adore the Sabbath Deluxes, but I am a huge fan. To me, listening to roughly worked versions of songs with spontaneous guide vocals is fascinating, but the tracks are very much a novelty for the fan who wants it all and wants to see how the album tracks were built. The average casual fan would not "get it" and would probably wonder what the heck they are listening too. The same wil be true of the Zeppelin Deluxes.....maybe not to us, but there will be few nuggets for the casual fan. I think there will be a handful of prized alternate versions, and outtakes, and the rest will be novelty bits and pieces, and blueprints of previously released tracks.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I love guide vocals too. But unfortunately there wasn't much of that on the deluxe remasters for Queen. Of course, I think we all would like it if they did something similar to what Bruce Springsteen did with "The Promise" box set. It's an absolute treasure trove. 2 CD's worth of outtakes, 6 hours worth of unseen footage. Doesn't get much better than that. But then again, Springsteen is in Columbia's hands...

Speculation time! I'm assuming/hoping we'll get the following variations on the sets:

·"Deluxe" version (remastered album and bonus tracks)

·"Standard" version (remastered album)

·"Audiophile" vinyl version (remastered albums, maybe with bonus tracks)

·Hi-res digital (maybe a BR-A or online at HDtracks/Qobuz)

I think the first three are definites...the last probably depends on how well the BR-A and HDtracks/Qobuz releases of Celebration Day sold.

Speculation time! I'm assuming/hoping we'll get the following variations on the sets:

·"Deluxe" version (remastered album and bonus tracks)

·"Standard" version (remastered album)

·"Audiophile" vinyl version (remastered albums, maybe with bonus tracks)

·Hi-res digital (maybe a BR-A or online at HDtracks/Qobuz)

I think the first three are definites...the last probably depends on how well the BR-A and HDtracks/Qobuz releases of Celebration Day sold.

Nice! But I highly doubt it. I'll bet we don't even see vinyl on these.

Nice! But I highly doubt it. I'll bet we don't even see vinyl on these.

Well, I think you're barking! (Just joking. :P)

We've seen vinyl releases for all of the Led Zeppelin releases since 2007 (and one from 1997): BBC Sessions; Mothership; The Song Remains the Same; and Celebration Day.

The only version I think is up-in-the-air is the "hi-res" one, but I'm really hoping we get that...in fact, that is the avenue I'm most interested in.

The only version I think is up-in-the-air is the "hi-res" one, but I'm really hoping we get that...in fact, that is the avenue I'm most interested in.

Yep. My car can play DVD-A and DTS discs, so I'd love something in that area.

Well, I think you're barking! (Just joking. :P)

We've seen vinyl releases for all of the Led Zeppelin releases since 2007 (and one from 1997): BBC Sessions; Mothership; The Song Remains the Same; and Celebration Day.

Yes, you would appear to be barking too. Let's hope that you can come back here and say "I told you so". As a huge vinyl collector, I'd be thrilled with such a release. As a vinyl collector himself, Jimmy may push for such an option. Edited by The Dark Lord

Yes, you would appear to be barking too. Let's hope that you can come back here and say "I told you so". As a huge vinyl collector, I'd be thrilled with such a release. As a vinyl collector himself, Jimmy may push for such an option.

All in good fun, chappy, no (real) disrespect meant. :)

I think Jimmy (and likely the powers-that-be) would push for vinyl -- the two releases from his website were vinyl-only (Lucifer Rising, Death Wish II) after all, and the only Zeppelin releases in recent memory (since 1997) which haven't been issued on vinyl were Early/Latter Days and the three-CD How the West Was Won. What would that have been, a six-or-eight LP set?

All in good fun, chappy, no (real) disrespect meant. :)

I think Jimmy (and likely the powers-that-be) would push for vinyl -- the two releases from his website were vinyl-only (Lucifer Rising, Death Wish II) after all, and the only Zeppelin releases in recent memory (since 1997) which haven't been issued on vinyl were Early/Latter Days and the three-CD How the West Was Won. What would that have been, a six-or-eight LP set?

No worries. I'd prefer you to be right about this, as I would love a vinyl option. However, you are mistaken about Early Days and Latter Days, which were actually released on vinyl. I have multiple sealed copies of both. Edited by The Dark Lord

There are quite a few of Early Days vinyl on ebay right now. HTWWW could probably have fit on three or four lps.

thx for the update JP.

Lots of great follow-up comments and wish lists to read from all. I don't own any of the deluxe rereleases mentioned but they do seem like a possible guide depending on what is even available for the band to select from. Also, recently I was reading Clapton's website and I noticed he has repackaged and re-released Unplugged.

from Blabbermouth

Although fans were hoping to get their hands on all of the new LED ZEPPELIN remasters this year, the wait for the majority of the band's catalogue continues. According to The Pulse Of Radio, Jimmy Page posted an update on his officiate web site, JimmyPage.com, stating, "The first of the LED ZEPPELIN reissues — comprising of 'Led Zeppelin I', 'Led Zeppelin II' and 'Led Zeppelin III' — will be released this year. I’ve also been working on some of my own material from the archives that will be unleashed in 2014."

The wait for "Led Zeppelin IV", "Houses Of The Holy", "Physical Graffiti", "The Song Remains The Same", "In Through The Out Door" and "Coda" will likely stretch into 2015.

Page told The Pulse Of Radio that after all the success LED ZEPPELIN had, the real reward has been that the music has lasted so long. "The most satisfying, the most rewarding part of it, is having been part of music like that, which has stood up to the test of time," he said. "Every musician hopes that their music will hold up. And it's wonderful."

Page, who produced all of LED ZEPPELIN's live and studio albums, has served as the band's chief archivist and personally oversaw the remastering of the band's catalogue back in the nearly '90s.

November 2012 saw the release of LED ZEPPELIN's live collection, "Celebration Day", which was recorded and filmed at ZEPPELIN's December 10, 2007 reunion show at London's O2 Arena. The concert film was released on CD, DVD, Blu-ray disc through Swan Song/Atlantic Records.

LED ZEPPELIN is up for two Grammy awards — "Best Rock Performance" for "Kashmir (Live)" from "Celebration Day", and the album itself, "Celebration Day", in the "Best Rock Album" category.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-promises-first-three-led-zeppelin-reissues-this-year/#GwsWhsfhooyDfckp.99

Edited by the chase