New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

Key part (2:27-2:48):
"There's stuff that's never been out before, there's-there's new songs that they've found, there's new versions of classics...they've gone back to, uh, the tape source [...] the masters they're using have never been played before, so they just sound so vital as opposed to remastering tracks from tapes that have been played for 20, 30 years."

Davis also says that there's a press event set for the February 20th.

Conspiracy theories abound... I'm telling you folks - Jimmy is not going out without a Big Bang...and these very complex,

multi-faceted, surprise filled "Box Sets", that will be coming at us like thunderstorms on hot Summer nights, - will be Jimmy's

"in your face" Swan Song... Be excited people - be very excited.

Key part (2:27-2:48):

"There's stuff that's never been out before, there's-there's new songs that they've found, there's new versions of classics...they've gone back to, uh, the tape source [...] the masters they're using have never been played before, so they just sound so vital as opposed to remastering tracks from tapes that have been played for 20, 30 years."

Davis also says that there's a press event set for the February 20th.

Conspiracy theories abound... I'm telling you folks - Jimmy is not going out without a Big Bang...and these very complex,

multi-faceted, surprise filled box sets, that will be coming at us like thunderstorms on hot Summer nights, - will be Jimmy's

"in your face" Swan Song... Be excited - be very excited.

That is a great way of putting it. Cookie is doing what he can to be at this very same event.

That is a great way of putting it. Cookie is doing what he can to be at this very same event.

Indeed I am, haven't had a reply yet, though. I've enquired about Led Zeppelin press conferences in the past and never had any reply before, so it's not looking hopeful.

And, to continue my C-theory, although Robert's new SSS Project will be very exciting and awesome - Jimmy will

personally ensure that the upcoming "Box Sets" will blow everyone away and have people in such a frenzy that

Robert's latest project will take a far, far back seat to Jimmy's visions finally realized...

Kinda serves Robert right for his trite SSS announcement on Jimmy's 70th birthday.

Indeed I am, haven't had a reply yet, though. I've enquired about Led Zeppelin press conferences in the past and never had any reply before, so it's not looking hopeful.

Hey, all you can do is TRY Cooks...you are at the front lines for all of us in a manner of speaking. I for one applaud any effort

on your part to represent the many here - succeed or not - your task is a noble one!

Hey, all you can do is TRY Cooks...you are at the front lines for all of us in a manner of speaking. I for one applaud any effort

on your part to represent the many here - succeed or not - your task is a noble one!

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say.

The interview with John Davis was deleted from the blog and removed from the internet the day after it was posted. I guess Jimmy thought that Davis was only being interviewed about the Grammy Awards.

EDIT: Just found a working link to the audio http://www.divshare.com/download/25097231-561

Brian, the guy who did the interview, just sent this tweet:

Apologies if still trying to find my #LedZeppelin news piece-deleted the interview after friendly request as it got a friend in hot water

Source: https://twitter.com/BrianAPlumridge/status/428490903833935872

The interview with John Davis was deleted from the blog and removed from the internet the day after it was posted. I guess Jimmy thought that Davis was only being interviewed about the Grammy Awards.

This means Jimmy is really up to something. ;)

Thanks indeed to Cookie ... but also a big shout out to Brian Plumridge, for tracking down John Davis and getting that interview !

And also to zepcowboy over at RO, who brought attention to Plumridge's interview before Cookie or I.

...Erm, what the hell, guys/gals?

The entire Led Zeppelin catalogue has been freshly remastered by me and is now available to download on iTunes Boom!

Led Zeppelin have had all their albums freshly re-mastered by me and you can buy them on iTunes now! #holygrailofmusic

John Davis tweets from January and April of last year.

I seem to have just repeated Melcore ( and why not? good point there .. ) .

What I meant to add was the twitter quote earlier in this thread from Brian Plumridge , whose "friend in hot water" would appear to be John Davis.

A telling incident, as true to the tales we hear from the past as could be wished. Hope JD survives the pain : as I understand it there are many more remixes to go before all are released, and if Jimmy trusts him technically/musically I hope the water isn't too hot.

But Melcore's referenced tweets ( above) are what intrigue me. Forgiveable as they are ( from someone who may be at the centre of this project ) I'm not sure that they actually refer to it ! They are almost empty boasts. What is this about completing the remastering? as early as Jan, April 2013 ? And the itunes boast?

Am I missing something? Don't understand these tweets. Athough there is little concrete evidence, it seems that JP was working himself on the remixes for at least the first half of last year.

Unless - forgetting the mention of itunes - the remixes really were done as early as the tweets suggest... and JP's subsequent work in 2013 was ALL on the added extras?

#enticing !

A bit of bio info on John Davis from the Metropolis Studios website. Jimmy's adopted daughter, Jana, also works at Metropolis studios as an 'Events Assistant'.

" John Davis began his career as an audio mastering engineer in the late 80s, cutting 12-inch singles for London's club dancefloors.

Labels such as Ministry Of Sound, Boys Own, Classic and Def Jam with artists like De La Soul, Naughty By Nature, Soul II Soul, Carl Craig and DJ Harvey benefited from his expertise during the exciting early years of the DJ and club scene.

John always likes to work with the artist, producer and engineer present so that their collective vision can be communicated. Music is all about feelings and emotions, so a trust has to exist between artist and engineer. This direct input from the client enables John to take their music to a place where the tracks are enhanced and become ‘super-real’, maximising all the positive aspects of a mix and ironing out any potential problems. John’s favourite part of being an audio mastering engineer is the variety of the projects undertaken. A week in his mastering studio could encompass anything from Lana Del Rey to White Lies, Plan B, U2, Bat For Lashes or Jimmy Page – who have all visited recently. Every day he meets creative and interesting artists at the top of their game, so it’s vital that a connection is made quickly so the musical vision can be agreed and approved while the tracks are being mastered. That’s the way to get magical results, instead of playing safe and sounding generic."

Well I guess someone is suffering from Tweeter's remorse right now, having got maybe slighty carried away.. :mellow:

Anyway all will be revealed soon enough if the Feb press conference date is correct. and good luck to Cookie, I hope you do attend and bring us some news after getting permission to talk about it, of course.

EDIT: Just found a working link to the audio http://www.divshare.com/download/25097231-561

Cookie, or anyone else who is close to the biz,

Wouldn't anyone working on a project such as this have to sign a confidentiality agreement?

I know I am not to not divulge certain details about various things i work on. And many people I know are bound by some form of ethical agreement if not in writing at least by ethical standard in their occupation code.

I would think divulging something such as this without express permission would not be good for ones career or reputation!

And IMO if he did divulge something he shouldn't have, he clearly knows little of Mr. Page's reputation or LZ history.

I seem to have just repeated Melcore ( and why not? good point there .. ) .

What I meant to add was the twitter quote earlier in this thread from Brian Plumridge , whose "friend in hot water" would appear to be John Davis.

A telling incident, as true to the tales we hear from the past as could be wished. Hope JD survives the pain : as I understand it there are many more remixes to go before all are released, and if Jimmy trusts him technically/musically I hope the water isn't too hot.

But Melcore's referenced tweets ( above) are what intrigue me. Forgiveable as they are ( from someone who may be at the centre of this project ) I'm not sure that they actually refer to it ! They are almost empty boasts. What is this about completing the remastering? as early as Jan, April 2013 ? And the itunes boast?

Am I missing something? Don't understand these tweets. Athough there is little concrete evidence, it seems that JP was working himself on the remixes for at least the first half of last year.

Unless - forgetting the mention of itunes - the remixes really were done as early as the tweets suggest... and JP's subsequent work in 2013 was ALL on the added extras?

#enticing !

Thanks!

As far as we know, there was no "remixing" with the original album tracks -- that's a dangerous word.

John Davis remastered the core catalogue sometime c.2012 -- the "Mastered for iTunes" tracks were released in either December 2012 or January 2013, I can't quite remember which right now. It's safe to say, then, that any further work -- mixing, mastering -- would have been heavily concentrated on the extra tracks. They pressed vinyl -- separate batches? tinkering with the mastering? -- in June and August of last year. All of those tweets are public...it's an absolute shame that we missed them. We might have had some info, if only someone had thought to check Davis' Twitter.

As for Davis' status with the band/project...the mastering work is almost certainly done. What are they going to do, fire him? Too late...maybe they should focus on being more forthcoming with the fans, instead of partaking in the cloak-and-dagger of the past.

Cookie, or anyone else who is close to the biz,

Wouldn't anyone working on a project such as this have to sign a confidentiality agreement?

I know I am not to not divulge certain details about various things i work on. And many people I know are bound by some form of ethical agreement if not in writing at least by ethical standard in their occupation code.

I would think divulging something such as this without express permission would not be good for ones career or reputation!

And IMO if he did divulge something he shouldn't have, he clearly knows little of Mr. Page's reputation or LZ history.

He literally didn't give us any actual "news" on the remasters or their contents -- nothing more than Pagey has. The only thing he let slip was a February 20th press event...at which point, it can be assumed, Page will (or would have, if it's been cancelled/moved) provide details about the sets.

My current guess is that we'll be getting these releases in either March or April, based on this tweet (re-tweeted by Cookie):

Starting April on BBC 4. Led Zep track-by-track in which I & Jimmy Page & Robert Plant listen then dissect every LZ track in the catalogue.

I have to imagine that program would coincide with the release of at least one of the sets.

I am surprised that John Davis thought the boxsets may be included in next years Grammys. If so it would only be probobly for technical stuff, but what it should be is Jimmy as producer.

I also hope he is in not too much trouble. ;)

Davis will have a sit down with Jimmy or his "people" and be reminded of the conditions of working on Zeppelin material. I think John's enthusiasm got the best of him and he spilled some very minor info. No real details were leaked so John deserves another chance. Jimmy will slap his hand and forget about it.

The more I think about it the more I sense that Jimmy is going to release WAY more than we expect.

This Project has a feel like the "gloves are off" so to speak.

The word "Epic" comes to mind...

Each Box Set will build in its scope...Live sets to coincide with the album being released.

Unreleased songs that happened during the recording of each official album.

But most surprising will be the new versions of existing long played out songs.

The newly found version of SIBLY, which kicks ass according to Jimmy, amongst others.

But that will be only the tip of a titanic iceberg....

I think the band members re-recorded songs in various formats (like the No Quarter versions

of WTLB, and NFBM) ....How will Tangerine sound revisited?

Call me crazy but I believe the Band recorded songs during the O2 rehearsals... new ones.

Jason coming in to the Band completes the cycle - and there are songs that celebrate that.

Celebration Day for sure.

I don't know about you guys but don't be fooled by a low-key "Led Zeppelin" first Box Set release.

The Box Sets will build with each release until it reaches a crashing crescendo at the finale.

Feel it.

WARNING: Intoxicated post. :P

Will the new remastered Coda include:

- Baby Come On Home
- Hey Hey What Can I Do
- Traveling Riverside Blues
- White Summer

I would assume the first and second tracks would appear on the deluxe sets for Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin III...the other two? Maybe. Unless we get a remastered BBC Sessions, which was suggested a while ago...

I am surprised that John Davis thought the boxsets may be included in next years Grammys. If so it would only be probobly for technical stuff, but what it should be is Jimmy as producer.

I also hope he is in not too much trouble. ;)

Isn't there a category for archival releases?

And nirvana...I hope you're right, but hopefully we get even more than these boxes. Full concert CDs...c'mon, Jimmy!

Archived