New box sets including unreleased material

JTM

I now go about once a month on a "burn & return" mission. If I see something I get it, put it in the computer, if I dislike it, I delete it. I'll probably do the same with the new Zeppelin that comes out. Unless if its reasonably priced, with cool extras or comes out on vinyl.

Booooooooo...pay for Zeppelin! :P That form of piracy is way more insidious -- and widespread -- than others.

Brian Plumridge interviewed John Davis (mastered Celebration Day) who has been outed as the mastering engineer for the forthcoming remasters.

Key part (2:27-2:48):
"There's stuff that's never been out before, there's-there's new songs that they've found, there's new versions of classics...they've gone back to, uh, the tape source [...] the masters they're using have never been played before, so they just sound so vital as opposed to remastering tracks from tapes that have been played for 20, 30 years."

Davis also says that there's a press event set for the February 20th.

(Thanks to Cookie and others for the link.)

And I always thought I was a glass half full person ! ... but I'd change the dollar to a pound sign and then think about multiplying the 30 ...

Interesting question though.

Will the focus be on vinyl or on downloads/CDs ?

Here's my reasoning: Think of Celebration Day as having been a test, to measure interest in Led Zeppelin and the many formats in which it was released. The concert was released in several formats -- Blu-Ray (video and audio), DVD, CD, vinyl, and (hi-res/low-res) digital -- and they were all reasonably priced (at least in North America).

Assuming Celebration Day was successful enough, I think we'll again see an onslaught of choices -- think CD, vinyl, and (hi-res/iTunes) digital releases.

Brian Plumridge interviewed John Davis (mastered Celebration Day) who has been outed as the mastering engineer for the forthcoming remasters.

"There's stuff that's never been out before, there's-there's new songs that they've found, there's new versions of classics...they've gone back to, uh, the tape source [...] the masters they're using have never been played before, so they just sound so vital as opposed to remastering tracks from tapes that have been played for 20, 30 years."

Jimmy will be doing an interview about the boxsets on 2/20 as per Cookie's facebook Led Zep News page. The same as mentioned above.

I've emailed John Davis asking to attend the press day, will let you guys know if I hear back.

That would be awesome! You could be the "inside man," so-to-speak... :P

The one thing that kind of bugs me about this whole affair is how quiet it's been. I mean...maybe I'm just out of the loop, but isn't this the first time we're getting firm information on who remastered the catalogue? Isn't it weird that we're hearing about a press event (or what-have-you) from the mastering engineer, and not anyone closer to the band?

...Erm, what the hell, guys/gals?

The entire Led Zeppelin catalogue has been freshly remastered by me and is now available to download on iTunes Boom!

Led Zeppelin have had all their albums freshly re-mastered by me and you can buy them on iTunes now! #holygrailofmusic

John Davis tweets from January and April of last year.

Alright that's exciting!

It's my pleasure, doing what I can to get the news out.

Thanks for the great info James and almost certain confirmation of the press event for these soon to be great releases. These may be unbelievable and beyond what we expected, but who knows and will find out.

Keep us informed as always and you have plenty of time to prepare and ask Jimmy the most in depth and proper questions regarding this! Hopefully, he'll be quite open about this and provide some great details. I would expect so, especially regarding an upcoming Zeppelin releases(s).

Best of luck to you with this, keep up the great work and look forward to lots of feed and bait from you shortly! :yourock:

Great news. Hopefully the (re)confirmation of bonus material, from unheard songs and different versions of previous songs, will help the impatient buggers around here realize that is truly a massive project embarked on by Zep and co.

In all seriousness, I could not be more excited. I've been holding off on purchasing the Zeppelin catalog on vinyl specifically so i could have these remasters. And kudos to John Davis, a grammy for his work and the discovery of how truly great Zeppelin was/is.

Archived