A Youngster's Opinion (please be nice)

AnnaLeigh

I am a sixteen year old girl, daughter of two small town baby boomers. My father, born in '61, was at prime age during Zeppelin's reign. He has taught some of the most crucial of life's lessons to me through music, Zep being one of the main bands. Since I'm considerably younger than most fanatics, people tend to blow off my opinions. They underestimate my appreciation, even down right love for Led Zeppelin. I've watched bits and pieces of the reunion concert at London's O2 Centre (just the clips on YouTube) and am totally impressed. No, I wasn't around while they were at their height but, I do know what great sounds like. I think I speak for most of my generation when I say, give us just one more tour; Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. For the sons and daughters of baby boomers, give us a taste of real, live, passionate, raw music. Rock and Roll is hard to come by these days, and Led Zeppelin is, in every aspect rock and roll.

As an old man (two years younger than your father), I've reached the age where I can sit back in my armchair and say "what is it with kids today"?

When I was 14, the in-thing that year was the Sex Pistols and punk. "kids today!!" the old people would moan. Now I'm in that position...my beef is the other way round, though. Virtually all modern pop music seems to be manufactured garbage, like Take That, Westlife etc. etc. while most rock music just sounds like the same old stuff. I assume that most people young enough to be my kids are more interested in club music than live bands. Well, that's fine, each to his own, but I can't help thinking this is why there don't seem to be any young versions of LZ, the Who, the Stones, etc. I can't help being struck by the number of people in their teens/early 20's that have turned on to the 'classic' 60's groups though!

Welcome aboard. Most of us are nice here, despite the odd squabble here and there....

As an old man (two years younger than your father), I've reached the age where I can sit back in my armchair and say "what is it with kids today"?

When I was 14, the in-thing that year was the Sex Pistols and punk. "kids today!!" the old people would moan. Now I'm in that position...my beef is the other way round, though. Virtually all modern pop music seems to be manufactured garbage, like Take That, Westlife etc. etc. while most rock music just sounds like the same old stuff. I assume that most people young enough to be my kids are more interested in club music than live bands. Well, that's fine, each to his own, but I can't help thinking this is why there don't seem to be any young versions of LZ, the Who, the Stones, etc. I can't help being struck by the number of people in their teens/early 20's that have turned on to the 'classic' 60's groups though!

Welcome aboard. Most of us are nice here, despite the odd squabble here and there....

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a bit new to all this. I would have to say I'm one of very few kids in my tiny town that are actually into the 60's groups but, it's all about being different. =] I'm not about that manufactured stuff..I like to hear the scratches in the music.

I hear you, as a 17 year old. I would love to see my icons go on a tour so the generation who have only experienced LZ throught headphones and computer screens can take in the pleasure and satisfaction like our parents and elders had when they saw them in the flesh.

and welcome, Anne!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a bit new to all this. I would have to say I'm one of very few kids in my tiny town that are actually into the 60's groups but, it's all about being different. =] I'm not about that manufactured stuff..I like to hear the scratches in the music.

The Scratches are the best bits.....

I love the sentiment, but I feel that the timing is all wrong.

There was a clear commitment of Plant's to tour with Alison Krauss next year, and it looks like a good portion of 2008 will be given over to that.

(I would love to see it - not being one of the lucky chosen few...)

Well..I guess I'll take what I can get. haha- I actaully like the Krauss/Plant stuff. But, there would be nothing like seeing Zep.

I am a sixteen year old girl, daughter of two small town baby boomers. My father, born in '61, was at prime age during Zeppelin's reign. He has taught some of the most crucial of life's lessons to me through music, Zep being one of the main bands. Since I'm considerably younger than most fanatics, people tend to blow off my opinions. They underestimate my appreciation, even down right love for Led Zeppelin. I've watched bits and pieces of the reunion concert at London's O2 Centre (just the clips on YouTube) and am totally impressed. No, I wasn't around while they were at their height but, I do know what great sounds like. I think I speak for most of my generation when I say, give us just one more tour; Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. For the sons and daughters of baby boomers, give us a taste of real, live, passionate, raw music. Rock and Roll is hard to come by these days, and Led Zeppelin is, in every aspect rock and roll.

Hopefully Zeppelin does tour, to save us all from your generations so called music. :o

p.s. Just joking.

I assume that most people young enough to be my kids are more interested in club music than live bands. Well, that's fine, each to his own, but I can't help thinking this is why there don't seem to be any young versions of LZ, the Who, the Stones, etc.

I definitely see your point. Those kids should be beaten, and not allowed to reproduce. :D

Again, just joking...sorta.

Hopefully Zeppelin does tour, to save us all from your generations so called music. :o

p.s. Just joking.

you weren't joking, and I totally agree. Most of my generation's music is crap. Thats why I listen to what I choose to.

=]

Er...I'm 17 (my birthday is next tuesday)

I don't think that music is overall any better or worse now than it was 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago. You just have to search out what is good from all the trash, I'm quite sure there were terrible sell out bands in the 60s and 70s as well as today.

Er...I'm 17 (my birthday is next tuesday)

I don't think that music is overall any better or worse now than it was 10, 20, 30, or 40 years ago. You just have to search out what is good from all the trash, I'm quite sure there were terrible sell out bands in the 60s and 70s as well as today.

hello..yet another one my age.

happy birthday next tuesday. =]

I did say most recent bands. I'm absolutely crazy about some newer bands..Rogue Wave, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band. And sellouts exist in any music era, sure! Theres just never going to be anything like mighty Zep. I wish there could be..I feel like we're missing out

hello..yet another one my age.

happy birthday next tuesday. =]

I did say most recent bands. I'm absolutely crazy about some newer bands..Rogue Wave, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band. And sellouts exist in any music era, sure! Theres just never going to be anything like mighty Zep. I wish there could be..I feel like we're missing out

I'm a pretty big fan of Dave Matthews as well, some really great music there. And well, I'm not sure we won't look back at some of the really great newer bands and think they're as legendary as Zeppelin. It seems like that's the way it works, I mean, did people know that any of the really popular bands from the 60s and 70s would be remembered like they are? I don't know. There are some really interesting innovations going on, I don't know if you're a fan of either The Mars Volta or Tool? Those two bands are really paving the way for some cool new styles of music.

I'm a pretty big fan of Dave Matthews as well, some really great music there. And well, I'm not sure we won't look back at some of the really great newer bands and think they're as legendary as Zeppelin. It seems like that's the way it works, I mean, did people know that any of the really popular bands from the 60s and 70s would be remembered like they are? I don't know. There are some really interesting innovations going on, I don't know if you're a fan of either The Mars Volta or Tool? Those two bands are really paving the way for some cool new styles of music.

The Mars Volta for sure! not so much Tool, I haven't really checked them out though. It'll be interesting to see if anything is remembered like Zep is. I hope so, like I can say in 20-30 years that I saw DMB in concert and my kid is still listening to them. I certainly hope so.

As a guy of 30, being born during Zep's heyday but never having seen them except for clips on TV and YouTube. Seeing part of the reunion gig made me realize that not many of today's bands have what iconic bands like Zeppelin and Aerosmith, and Alice Cooper and Queen have...in short: magic.

I honestly can't name many bands nowadays that have that special "something" to them. I'm not trying to put any newer bands down, but some just don't have that pulse or flow that makes thier music stand out.

That make any kind of sense at all?

I'm 21, on the old board I put out a good argument that not all kids today are obsessed with the shit music the record industry today tries to throw at us. No, I don't listen to that alternative/indie shit that so many people my age are hooked on and worship like its the best thing ever. I find it all just annoying back ground noise that doesn't really mean a thing to me, is just like all the cars driving past my window. You don't here it unless to try to and that's how I look at music today- it doesn't mean anything to me- no connection to it at all. I've been a fan of classic rock since I was about 12 when everyone was obsessed with boy bands ect and I got into it on my own- no parent intervention- it just happened.

It's so refreshing to see so many young people out there that still have some great musical taste. :D

I grew up on Zep. And my daughter also grew up on Zep. Then I look on this site and see people even younger than her digging the band.

The whole world has not gone to hell yet. ;)

icool post btw. Bein in my twilight years of mid twentys i still resort back to the bands my dad got me into. Zep dpurple rainbow etc. No matter how hard ive tried to " connect " with todays groups uk or other. Nothing stirs my soul, im sure u know what i mean. or fills me with passion and lifts a low mood as much as zep. May the dream live on.

Since I'm considerably younger than most fanatics, people tend to blow off my opinions. They underestimate my appreciation, even down right love for Led Zeppelin.

Well, you've just found a place where you don't have to worry about this. Welcome to the boards.

I think I speak for most of my generation when I say, give us just one more tour; Page, Plant, Jones and Bonham. For the sons and daughters of baby boomers, give us a taste of real, live, passionate, raw music. Rock and Roll is hard to come by these days, and Led Zeppelin is, in every aspect rock and roll.
Great post.

And I think the very best request yet, for them to tour.

Archived