Has Jimmy Page ever given guitar lessons to anyone?

hecube

You could argue that certain scenes in It Might Get Loud could be considered guitar lessons.

There are also various passages of text in Led Zeppelin Complete that are attributed to Jimmy Page. In them he advises the reader how to play certain difficult sections.

I've never seen anything like that mentioned. It seemed like he just kept playing and playing, got in a band, got sick in the van, went to do session work, then put Led Zeppelin together. It doesn't mean he hasn't taught kids a few chords though his charity work, or went over some stuff with Black Crowes or Dave Grohl. He prob. has a video of all his tricks that he has on the shelf...rusting.

To think about it has he even ever had an actual job, apart from session work of course?

If I remember correctly he stated that he had a small job growing up in order to pay for his first electric guitar.

But as an adult, I don't think he has had any traditional, non-music related jobs.

I can't imagine he's exactly adverse to teaching guitar, but I'd go out on a limb and say, taking into consideration the type of player he is, he'd make the student understand that personal trial & error is the best way to learn guitar, and you can't get that from a teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last paragraph of this he mentions wanting to write a guitar tutorial. I hope that comes out someday because that would be AMAZING!

ohgodz.jpg

So that's another project "almost completed" for which we have to wait... Good thing I already know how to play guitar...

For what it's worth, I believe Angela Bowie's memoir Backstage Passes made a mention that Page gave lessons to Marc Bolan of T-Rex in the early 1970s, to her then-husband David Bowie's consternation. If this is true (and it's questionable, given Angela's axe to grind), it was probably only a few casual pointers rather than any formal training sessions.

post-12775-0-86371500-1356115940.gif

post-12775-0-15068900-1356115951.gif

post-12775-0-07324300-1356115963.gif

In the last paragraph of this he mentions wanting to write a guitar tutorial. I hope that comes out someday because that would be AMAZING!

Thanks for posting this april_lynn. Yes, I agree, a guitar tutorial is a brilliant idea! :thumbsup: Two thumbs up for keepin' the music alive, Jimbo!

^^ I need this. I've been trying unsuccessfully to play guitar since I was 13. It just doesn't click for me and I'm far too impatient.

Patience is the key, grasshopper. IME, when you're so frustrated you want to throw your head into a wall, those times of frustration are when you gain the most if you're willing to push through it. Keep at it april_lynn! It's worth all the effort!

Thanks for posting this april_lynn. Yes, I agree, a guitar tutorial is a brilliant idea! :thumbsup: Two thumbs up for keepin' the music alive, Jimbo!

Patience is the key, grasshopper. IME, when you're so frustrated you want to throw your head into a wall, those times of frustration are when you gain the most if you're willing to push through it. Keep at it april_lynn! It's worth all the effort!

Haha thank you for that; it's nice that you don't think I'm a lost cause :P Maybe I'll have a little go this evening :D

Archived