John Paul Jones on BBC Radio 3, January 1st 2013

Janvier

From the website of BBC Radio 3, Late Junction:

"Fiona Talkington celebrates the New Year with special guest, multi-instrumentalist and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones, who plays live and chooses a selection of music".

Duration: 1 hour, 30 minutes

First broadcast: Tuesday 01 January 2013

- 23:00 London time

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01pg4yc

^ I suppose he does. But it is not exactly the genre of music he is most associated with is it? I don't know what exactly this programme is all about, although I notice he has been on before in June this year

If you ask most people in the UK what genre of music Radio 3 plays, chances are the answer would be classical

John Paul Jones played mandolin, ukulele, piano, and a curious instrument specially built for him called a collapse steel guitar.

The program alternated between short improvisation performances by John Paul Jones on the different instruments, and songs chosen by him for the occasion. The artists featured have at various points collaborated with JPJ on several projects, such as Fatoumata Diawara of the Africa Express, Kaffe Matthews (with whom he worked on the John Cage Musical Circus) Sidsel Endresen and Uncle Earl, to name a few.

"She's one of my favourite electronic composers" he said of Matthews. "In fact, I take pretty much all of her CDs around with me".

Halfway through the conversation, Ms. Talkington asked Jones to describe the computer application Kyma, which he used during the show. He explained that it's an all-purpose combination of hardware and software employed in the field of sound design and gave a few examples of its use, such as in Hollywood movies to recreate various kinds of sounds and noises.

Other than Minibus Pimps and Supersilent (his projects with the Norwegian musician Helge Sten) he briefly discussed the August Sonata opera on which he's working along with Brazilian director Gerald Thomas. He described the Sonata as "very dark and very complex" having "a great history, great atmosphere".

Towards the end of the program he recounted how the first instrument he played was piano, since his father was an excellent pianist, and how he then took up the organ and bass guitar.

The show is now available to stream for the next 7 days on this address: http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01pg4yc

^ I suppose he does. But it is not exactly the genre of music he is most associated with is it? I don't know what exactly this programme is all about, although I notice he has been on before in June this year

If you ask most people in the UK what genre of music Radio 3 plays, chances are the answer would be classical

I'm sure he enjoys classical music immensely.

Thank you for posting the link. I did not care for a few of the selections JPJ chose by other artists, but the excitement in his voice when he talks about music he likes makes me smile. The music he personally played was great, in particular the first and last pieces.

What a great way to start the New Year. I do like the low key broadcast style. The music is refeshingly unique and laid back at times. It was a pleasure to hear the way JPJ so tastefully improvised music on different instruments. Cool idea for a radio show.

Archived