2013 Academy Awards

SuperDave

Just watching the awards program. Watching, the Best Picture nominees and I thought it was pretty cool that the musical intro to "When The Levee Breaks" was used. Way cool Ben! I know the song is included in the film and that Ben Affleck is a huge Led Zeppelin fan. I know he worked real hard to have "Levee" in the film and convince the Led Zeppelin camp, why he needed this in his film. Not always an easy task.

Include your responses to this and the award winners and show and general in this thread.

Thanks and be well!

Very cool moment indeed.

As for the show overall...is it just me or are the Oscars becoming more of a musical? I thought that was what the Tonys' were for?

Agreed! But did love Shirley Bassey! One of my favorite songs ever and 50 years after Goldfinger. That will be the highlight from the show this year. She must be 75 now and what a voice still!!!! Unreal!!!

Yes! I got chills when she sang. :D

And Jennifer Hudson as well. Yikes.No lip syncing that one

Certainly! Another great moment. So much talent. As EBK said, the show may not be over until Wednesday....or perhaps the following Wednesday as will be into March. That may be more likely!

Is wine a prerequisite tonight EBK?

Certainly! Another great moment. So much talent. As EBK said, the show may not be over until Wednesday....or perhaps the following Wednesday as will be into March. That may be more likely!

Is wine a prerequisite tonight EBK?

Absolutely Dave! At this rate, I'll get through an entire bottle by myself tonight :D

Agreed, SuperDave; that was definitely cool! I enjoyed Adele's performance and Barbra Streisand was a really nice surprise. She looks fantastic; I can't believe she is 70 years old! :o I do like that they are paying tribute to some older films onstage, although I don't know why they have given Chicago 2 plugs

Of this year's films, I've only seen Les Mis and Skyfall. I still want to see Argo and Zero Dark Thirty.

Barbra still sings well, but she restrained herself on Marvin's song from "The Way We Were". Not sure how much she can belt it out any more. But she did sing well. Perhaps. some of you know more about Barb's current voice more than me?

I hope that if "Argo" wins Best Picture (which I have not seen yet), Ben Affleck will thank Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham.

Edited to add: The same with David O. Russell if "Silver Linings Playbook" wins Best Picture.

Barbra still sings well, but she restrained herself on Marvin's song from "The Way We Were". Not sure how much she can belt it out any more. But she did sing well. Perhaps. some of you know more about Barb's current voice more than me?

I don't think she's having voice problems. As mentioned, she is 70. And she's always had terrible stage fright. So the fact that she was there and sounded so good is wonderful.

Shirley Bassy, at 75 (or 76), after a shaky start, absolutely knocked Goldfinger out of the park.

The old broads still have it!

I hope that if "Argo" wins Best Picture (which I have not seen yet), Ben Affleck will thank Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and the late John Bonham.

Edited to add: The same with David O. Russell if "Silver Linings Playbook" wins Best Picture.

Don't know much about "Silver Linings". Is there a Zeppelin song in this film? My guess is yes, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. Fill me in!

Don't know much about "Silver Linings". Is there a Zeppelin song in this film? My guess is yes, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned it. Fill me in!

i think "what is and what should never be" is used in the film. i haven't watched it but it was mentioned when i was listening to the radio before they played the song.

I have not seen this movie either but, yes, "What is and What Should Never Be" is in the movie. I read alot and from what I have read is that the song is played when Bradley Cooper is having one of his fits or breakdowns. If I remember correctly, David O. Russell said that this song fit that scene perfectly because of the softer and then heavier elements of the song. "Light and Shade", if you will. He did not say Light and Shade but that seems to be what he was referring to.

On a side note: I really was hoping that Bobby De Niro would win the Oscar for his Best Supporting Actor role (playing Bradley Cooper's father) in "Silver Linings Playbook". Obviously, he did not.

One more thing: Congratulations to Ben Affleck and the whole cast for winning Best Picture. It was great to see my man Walter White (Bryan Cranston) up on stage with Ben, George, Alan Arkin (and that other producer dude). Is it just me or did it seem like Ben Affleck was "coked" out of his mind? Although he did not mention Led Zeppelin by name, he did say that he would like to thank everyone who had something to do with the making of "Argo". In my book, that would include Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham. I can't wait to see this movie once it comes out on Redbox.

Edited to add (again): I just found this:

http://youtu.be/RJt4FkNvWfE

Very cool moment indeed.

As for the show overall...is it just me or are the Oscars becoming more of a musical? I thought that was what the Tonys' were for?

I think the theme for this year's broadcast is movie music. Hence all the musical numbers.

I love musicals, but this show may be over by next Wednesday...

Agreed, SuperDave; that was definitely cool! I enjoyed Adele's performance and Barbra Streisand was a really nice surprise. She looks fantastic; I can't believe she is 70 years old! :o I do like that they are paying tribute to some older films onstage, although I don't know why they have given Chicago 2 plugs

You can blame the two producers of this year's Oscars, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who also were the producers of "Chicago" and the current TV show "Smash". Shameless self-promotion is what it was...fucking horrible. Once was bad enough, but TWICE?!? "Chicago" wasn't even a good musical(I'm referring to the film, not the actual stage musical). If you want to honour musicals(which is a theme that's already been done to death in recent Oscar telecasts), better to pay tribute to a truly great and groundbreaking musical such as "West Side Story". It was like a bad Tony Awards show. I mean, really...what the fuck were Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron doing up on stage ballroom dancing? Auditioning for "Dancing with the Stars"?

Agreed! But did love Shirley Bassey! One of my favorite songs ever and 50 years after Goldfinger. That will be the highlight from the show this year. She must be 75 now and what a voice still!!!! Unreal!!!

Dame Shirley Bassey is 76 and she provided the first glamour moment of the show and the first standing ovation. What a class act, and truly one of the few highlights of the interminable night. Too bad they couldn't get Jimmy Page to play guitar with the orchestra for this song, like he did 50 years ago.

For someone who is 70, she still has the pipes. I saw Babs last year at the Hollywood Bowl, and even though it was a cold night(not a singer's best friend), her voice didn't show any marked decline. Considering her nerves, I thought she performed well tonight. One reason I think she kept it low-key was because it was for the 'In Memoriam' section of the show...a time for reflection and paying respect for the dead.

"What Is and What Should Never Be" plays during the scene when Bradley Cooper loses it and starts fighting with his dad, played by Robert DeNiro.

As for the Oscar telecast as a whole, once again, the producers and host are their own worst enemies. All those interminable(yes, I know I used this word once already but it really fits) singing and dancing bits made the opening drag on and on...and on. Seth isn't really a standup comic like Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal, so he has no natural timing, and his voice and dead eyes(his eyes look like black holes) suck the life out of everything. The William Shatner bit was goofy at first but then it got silly and pointless and went on for far too long.

Just give out a damn award already. It must have been nearly a half-hour before the first award was handed out. At least it was a surprise win for Christoph Waltz...the first of many defeats for me in my Oscar pool. I finished 13-11 on the night. I thought since it had been 32 years since Bobby DeNiro had won, that the Academy would give it to DeNiro as sort of a career achievement. He's not getting any younger. Plus, Christoph Waltz just won a couple years ago for another Tarantino film, "Inglorious Basterds"...the power of Harvey Weinstein strikes again.

"Amour" winning and Michael Haneke at last getting a well-deserved Oscar, Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand, Adele(although her voice was too low in the mix), the sock-puppet version of "Flight", Jennifer Lawrence falling on the stairs...these were the moments that stood out the best for me.

But even when they tried to do good, the producers shot themselves in the foot. Like with the In Memoriam segment...how could they leave out Andy Griffith, Ann Rutherford, Gore Vidal, and countless others who dies last year? I watched the BAFTAS on BBC recently and they did a much better job of honouring the dead. Then there was the James Bond fiasco. There was supposed to be a 50th anniversary salute to James Bond this year with all the surviving actors who played Bond appearing on stage. Well, obviously it didn't happen. Word is that both Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan hate the Cubby Broccoli family, so they refused to participate.

Speaking of hate, everybody and his mother in show business knows that Christopher Plummer hates anything to do with "The Sound of Music", so for Seth McFarlane to reference it with a stupid Nazi bit when introducing Mr. Plummer was beyond dumb and, no surprise, the joke fell flat.

Flat in fact, was the operative word for most of the four hours...the show felt flat. There was very little lift, or razzle-dazzle...and too much Kristen Chenoweth. My god, somebody please adopt her and feed her. Adele made her look like a child. Too much Kristen Stewart, too. Nobody cares about this skank...she can't act, she looks like shit, stop shoving her down our throat. Why does she always look like she is smelling a fart? Renee Zellweger's eyelashes were way too long for her tiny eyes...plus she looked wasted or drunk, to boot. Anne Hathaway, whom I usually think looks great, was wearing a drab dress and her necklace didn't work with the neckline she wore. I can't believe she won Best Supporting Actress over Sally Field...Anne dies in "Les Miz" within the first half-hour or so.

Who looked good? My personal faves were Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Shirley Bassey, George Clooney's date, whoever she is, Jennifer Hudson.

An unmemorable Oscars for the most part. I don't think you'll see the producers or Seth back anytime soon. Hopefully they will get Tina Fey and Amy Poehler next year.

Oh well, at least I had fun watching at the party I was at...as well as texting and e-mailing catty comments with some good friends.

You can blame the two producers of this year's Oscars, Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, who also were the producers of "Chicago" and the current TV show "Smash". Shameless self-promotion is what it was...fucking horrible. Once was bad enough, but TWICE?!? "Chicago" wasn't even a good musical(I'm referring to the film, not the actual stage musical). If you want to honour musicals(which is a theme that's already been done to death in recent Oscar telecasts), better to pay tribute to a truly great and groundbreaking musical such as "West Side Story". It was like a bad Tony Awards show. I mean, really...what the fuck were Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron doing up on stage ballroom dancing? Auditioning for "Dancing with the Stars"?

Dame Shirley Bassey is 76 and she provided the first glamour moment of the show and the first standing ovation. What a class act, and truly one of the few highlights of the interminable night. Too bad they couldn't get Jimmy Page to play guitar with the orchestra for this song, like he did 50 years ago.

For someone who is 70, she still has the pipes. I saw Babs last year at the Hollywood Bowl, and even though it was a cold night(not a singer's best friend), her voice didn't show any marked decline. Considering her nerves, I thought she performed well tonight. One reason I think she kept it low-key was because it was for the 'In Memoriam' section of the show...a time for reflection and paying respect for the dead.

"What Is and What Should Never Be" plays during the scene when Bradley Cooper loses it and starts fighting with his dad, played by Robert DeNiro.

As for the Oscar telecast as a whole, once again, the producers and host are their own worst enemies. All those interminable(yes, I know I used this word once already but it really fits) singing and dancing bits made the opening drag on and on...and on. Seth isn't really a standup comic like Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal, so he has no natural timing, and his voice and dead eyes(his eyes look like black holes) suck the life out of everything. The William Shatner bit was goofy at first but then it got silly and pointless and went on for far too long.

Just give out a damn award already. It must have been nearly a half-hour before the first award was handed out. At least it was a surprise win for Christoph Waltz...the first of many defeats for me in my Oscar pool. I finished 13-11 on the night. I thought since it had been 32 years since Bobby DeNiro had won, that the Academy would give it to DeNiro as sort of a career achievement. He's not getting any younger. Plus, Christoph Waltz just won a couple years ago for another Tarantino film, "Inglorious Basterds"...the power of Harvey Weinstein strikes again.

"Amour" winning and Michael Haneke at last getting a well-deserved Oscar, Shirley Bassey, Barbra Streisand, Adele(although her voice was too low in the mix), the sock-puppet version of "Flight", Jennifer Lawrence falling on the stairs...these were the moments that stood out the best for me.

But even when they tried to do good, the producers shot themselves in the foot. Like with the In Memoriam segment...how could they leave out Andy Griffith, Ann Rutherford, Gore Vidal, and countless others who dies last year? I watched the BAFTAS on BBC recently and they did a much better job of honouring the dead. Then there was the James Bond fiasco. There was supposed to be a 50th anniversary salute to James Bond this year with all the surviving actors who played Bond appearing on stage. Well, obviously it didn't happen. Word is that both Sean Connery and Pierce Brosnan hate the Cubby Broccoli family, so they refused to participate.

Speaking of hate, everybody and his mother in show business knows that Christopher Plummer hates anything to do with "The Sound of Music", so for Seth McFarlane to reference it with a stupid Nazi bit when introducing Mr. Plummer was beyond dumb and, no surprise, the joke fell flat.

Flat in fact, was the operative word for most of the four hours...the show felt flat. There was very little lift, or razzle-dazzle...and too much Kristen Chenoweth. My god, somebody please adopt her and feed her. Adele made her look like a child. Too much Kristen Stewart, too. Nobody cares about this skank...she can't act, she looks like shit, stop shoving her down our throat. Why does she always look like she is smelling a fart? Renee Zellweger's eyelashes were way too long for her tiny eyes...plus she looked wasted or drunk, to boot. Anne Hathaway, whom I usually think looks great, was wearing a drab dress and her necklace didn't work with the neckline she wore. I can't believe she won Best Supporting Actress over Sally Field...Anne dies in "Les Miz" within the first half-hour or so.

Who looked good? My personal faves were Jessica Chastain, Jennifer Lawrence, Shirley Bassey, George Clooney's date, whoever she is, Jennifer Hudson.

An unmemorable Oscars for the most part. I don't think you'll see the producers or Seth back anytime soon. Hopefully they will get Tina Fey and Amy Poehler next year.

Oh well, at least I had fun watching at the party I was at...as well as texting and e-mailing catty comments with some good friends.

Do not take any offense, but your whole post seems very "catty" to me. I don't get how you had fun at the party you were at if all your comments, texts and e-mails with good friends were as negative or inane as the one you just posted on this Major Led Zeppelin website.

I think, at least, I had the decorum not to mention the aspects of the Academy Awards show that I did not like or the audacity to post them here. I was praising the movie "Argo" and "Silver Linings Playbook" and the role that Led Zeppelin's Music had in regards to both these movies.

I am happy and satisfied that "Argo" won Best Picture. I think this award (not that it matters to Led Zeppelin) cements Led Zeppelin's place as the Best and Greatest Rock and Roll Band of All-Time. Receiving the Kennedy Center Honors and now having one of Their greatest songs in the 2013 Academy Award winning Best Picture movie, "Argo". I am sure that Jimmy, Robert and John Paul are pretty pleased as well.

By the way, Bobby De Niro (who was a nominee for Best Supporting Actor) was the one who introduced Dustin Hoffman at the Kennedy Center Honors. Dusty Hoffman was a presenter at the Academy Awards. A Led Zeppelin song was in the movie that won the Best Picture Award.

All that may not mean anything to Most of You, but to Me that means a whole lot.

More Positive than the negativity of the rant that strider posted.

A 2003 Rioja. I'd have to get up to tell you rhe vineyard, and I'm way too lazy at the moment to do that... :)

Name the Bodega EBK?.

I personally think the Rioja region produces some of the best red wine in the world. My fav is anything form Bodegas Navajas in the Rioja Alto. They make magnificent red wine. Soft, rich with vanilla. eemmmmmmm.

The whites are also quite funky but you have to be happy with the oak they use. It can be over powering.

For New World, New Zealand produces some mouth watering Pinot but with a hefty price tag. It is Mrs CP's fav. The Otago area is superb. Funny how it's always me who buys this for her - but hey with wine that tastes that good, I am not argueing.

It's not my place I know- I thought Streisand was washed up karaoke at the truck stop on old 66... sounded like she dropped the key at least two steps, smokers voice like from the Disney movie Monsters, Inc. at the :19sec mark

Adele gave what I believe to be the best performace ever at an Oscars telecast. Dame Bassey leaves me with goosebumps still- cannot image the nerve it took for her to leave it all out there which she truly, truly did. As a kid Goldfinger has such an impact on me musically and was one of my mom's favorite songs.

Just remembered the first thing my friend said the moment Kristen Stewart walked on stage: "Did that girl wash her hair at all?"

I swear watching her in such settings (award shows etc) is uncomfortable. I don't know if she's trying hard to give off that "I don't give a fuck vibe" or what?

If it's her shtick, it's becoming old fast. Still she's a trooper for showing up on a broken foot.

What other highlights....hmmm....

Mentioned Shirley Bassey's performance...Jennifer Hudson...Adele??? I don't think she was as good as she could be, but then again, after singing that song five times in a row during rehearsals, you're bound to sound a little flat. Norah Jones...another performance that could have been more than it appeared to be.

Did anyone else get annoyed with the Jaws theme music they kept playing whenever someone went on for a little too long? And speaking of people that went on for too long, why didn't they cut away Ann Hathaway's ramble? No offense, but I'm yet to understand why she's winning all these awards this season? =/

Loved Ben Affleck's humble speech at the end there. No comment on Barb's performance, even though that song never fails to bring tears to the eyes no matter how many times I hear it.

Christopher Plummer looked like he had a really bad tan. Jennifer Lawrence - bless her - the fall was one of the highlights of the night, though I wished that little girl had won the award for Best Actress. Would have made for a nice surprise/moment for the Oscars.

Can someone explain what happened during the Bond tribute thingamajig? I was expecting to see all the former Bond actors (and maybe his leading ladies) walk out after the montage thingy, but no dice. =/

Just remembered the first thing my friend said the moment Kristen Stewart walked on stage: "Did that girl wash her hair at all?"

I swear watching her in such settings (award shows etc) is uncomfortable. I don't know if she's trying hard to give off that "I don't give a fuck vibe" or what?

If it's her shtick, it's becoming old fast. Still she's a trooper for showing up on a broken foot.

What other highlights....hmmm....

Mentioned Shirley Bassey's performance...Jennifer Hudson...Adele??? I don't think she was as good as she could be, but then again, after singing that song five times in a row during rehearsals, you're bound to sound a little flat. Norah Jones...another performance that could have been more than it appeared to be.

Did anyone else get annoyed with the Jaws theme music they kept playing whenever someone went on for a little too long? And speaking of people that went on for too long, why didn't they cut away Ann Hathaway's ramble? No offense, but I'm yet to understand why she's winning all these awards this season? =/

Loved Ben Affleck's humble speech at the end there. No comment on Barb's performance, even though that song never fails to bring tears to the eyes no matter how many times I hear it.

Christopher Plummer looked like he had a really bad tan. Jennifer Lawrence - bless her - the fall was one of the highlights of the night, though I wished that little girl had won the award for Best Actress. Would have made for a nice surprise/moment for the Oscars.

Can someone explain what happened during the Bond tribute thingamajig? I was expecting to see all the former Bond actors (and maybe his leading ladies) walk out after the montage thingy, but no dice. =/

Nice summation Percys_Plant ...and yes, Kristen's appearance was remarked upon at my gathering, too. Not just the hair, but the bruises on her arm.

As for the Bond tribute, I explained what happen in my post last night. Excuse me, I mean in my catty post last night.

To kingzoso: Did you even read my post? People asked some questions and I was merely answering them. I didn't say anything negative about Argo or Led Zeppelin. In fact, I was the first person on this site to post a recommendation for Argo when it was released.

This is the Academy Awards thread and Super Dave asked for people's thoughts and opinions and I provided mine. I praised what I thought was worthy and noted the segments that bombed...not just with me, but the entire group of people watching.

Frankly, I'm wondering how old you are, because if all it takes to certify a movie as worthy of an award is to have a Led Zeppelin song included, that seems a tad juvenile. Hey, "Shrek 3" had a Led Zeppelin song...let's give it Best Picture!

Well I thought someone had posted the winners and the categories? Not so. Ill go look around. I am interested in best costume and design. I was guessing either Lincoln or Anna Karenina? Re creating the times is always difficult.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

There it is after my edit. And I was right about Anna

Archived