Annoying Things

kripke

Lots of things annoy me, too many perhaps, but this one is becoming more commonplace and it really gets to me: unnecessary and racially offensive sub-titling.

I was watching a crime programme last night, where they were interviewing a British Asian man (a doctor, in fact), speaking in English. For no apparent reason, they subtitled him. But I could understand everything he was saying perfectly well without looking at the subtitles. To check, I even closed my eyes...and I could still understand him, no problem at all.

So then they switched to someone else, a Scottish gentleman. And do you know what, I couldn't understand a single word he said, not one. He could've been speaking in Urdu for all I knew. But here's the point: they didn't sub-title him.

I've noticed this phenomenon before, but it's always been in US-made programmes, where for example they sub-title perfectly understandable Australian speakers, but provide no translation for their own southern hicks, some of whom appear to communicate principally via a series of clicks and distorted guttural inflections...so in the past, I've just shaken my head in disbelief and put it down to the usual yank mental laziness, lack of experience of foreign cultures and general crass insensitivity. But this was a Brit-made show, and we really should know better.

What do you all think about this, and what other things irk you?

Lots of things annoy me, too many perhaps, but this one is becoming more commonplace and it really gets to me: unnecessary and racially offensive sub-titling.

I was watching a crime programme last night, where they were interviewing a British Asian man (a doctor, in fact), speaking in English. For no apparent reason, they subtitled him. But I could understand everything he was saying perfectly well without looking at the subtitles. To check, I even closed my eyes...and I could still understand him, no problem at all.

So then they switched to someone else, a Scottish gentleman. And do you know what, I couldn't understand a single word he said, not one. He could've been speaking in Urdu for all I knew. But here's the point: they didn't sub-title him.

I've noticed this phenomenon before, but it's always been in US-made programmes, where for example they sub-title perfectly understandable Australian speakers, but provide no translation for their own southern hicks, some of whom appear to communicate principally via a series of clicks and distorted guttural inflections...so in the past, I've just shaken my head in disbelief and put it down to the usual yank mental laziness, lack of experience of foreign cultures and general crass insensitivity. But this was a Brit-made show, and we really should know better.

I agree with your irk. The subtitles are generally not needed. Sometimes I have difficulty with the Scottish speakers, but can figure it out due to the context.

But the reason that more and more subtitles are being used for English speakers on TV is because here in the US there are more and more people who are not first generation Americans. An ever larger Hispanic subculture means that even if they may understand English, they are unable to understand dialects which they aren't used to. In college one of my professors was from London. I had no problem with understanding her at all; to me she sounded like like Mary Poppins. But half of my class was Mexican American and they always asked her to repeat herself. She was obviously annoyed, as were the rest of us who could understand plain English. But here is the really strange thing about this: I also had an instructor who was Spanish (Spain) and the same students had trouble understanding him as well.

But it gets even worse. Go into any grocery store or Walmart west of the Mississipi and all of the aisle signs are in Engish and Spanish now. So where the sign on the aisle says "soup", right underneath the sign it says "sopa" (the Spanish word for soup). Who can't figure that one out? Who doesn't know what a can of soup or a box of cereal looks like? If they left the signs in English only, don't you figure someone might learn something new everytime they go to the store? I'm pretty certain that I could figure out where the wanton noodles are at a store in Hong Kong without a sign in English. Just look down the aisle where all the packages of noodles are. Hint: it's probably not on the aisle where the bleach and dog food are.

In math it's called the lowest common denominator.

*click* *click click* *clay-eck clay-eck* (I thought everybody knew that was the proper suthen pronunciation of "click"). Oops, I meant to say *gutteral grunt*

FWIW, I finally put on the subtitles option on my tv. The action seems to always be loud and the dialogue is too quiet or mumbled to the point that I can't understand half of what anybody says, regardless of accent.

I would say more but I'm too mentally lazy to bother... except to say that I sometimes find sweeping generalizations and stereotyping to be quite annoying. *translates to grunt click gruuunt*

FWIW, I finally put on the subtitles option on my tv. The action seems to always be loud and the dialogue is too quiet or mumbled to the point that I can't understand half of what anybody says, regardless of accent.

I just watched Rossellini's 'PAISAN' with subtitles for the Italians & Germans but the screen was blank when the Americans spoke. Hey, wussamatta? :^)

• 2 weeks later...

People who do this instead of contributing to the thread

Why? The point is that people who do this are telling you there is already a similar thread in progress - they don't intend to contribute, they are trying to help the forum run properly. It's more irritating when people start a thread without searching.

Why? The point is that people who do this are telling you there is already a similar thread in progress - they don't intend to contribute, they are trying to help the forum run properly. It's more irritating when people start a thread without searching.

agreed.

I think I did it once, was corrected by Sam, and from then on, I always search before starting something new...no big deal...did not take it personally....all part of learning.

You are dead-on the money Knebby......Wesl will get it going on soon enough.

Archived