Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Yeah, not a lot of sense there, Rick/Jaws. On one hand you're saying the Yankees huge payroll is all that is wrong with baseball and that it creates an unfair situation in baseball with respect to championships, but then you go on to say that their money hasn't helped them and it hasn't bought them any championships lately. So which is it?

Sure they don't win it every year. But they are in the damn playoffs pretty much every year because they have the money and rob the small markets blind. Go ask teams like Kansas city and Pittsburgh who once had good teams. It makes a big differance in all sports. Not just in winning but being able to survive and keep a team.

I'll never forget the 89-91 Pittsburgh team that had to lose Bonilla and Bonds because they couldn't afford them. man those two playoffs battles they did with Atlanta in 90-91 were still the best series I have aver seen....what a shame.

Correction: Teams like Kansas City and Pittsburgh get about $50 million a year in revenue sharing from the Yankees. What do they do with that money? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. They sit on it and don't invest that money into putting a quality product on the field. They have no one to blame but themselves for their teams' failures. Yeah they used to have good teams.......about 20-25 years ago when the sport of baseball was different, not just the teams.

Not sounding like a jerk but I find the $50 million statement interesting and would love to read more about it. could you provide a link or source?

thanks

Not sounding like a jerk but I find the $50 million statement interesting and would love to read more about it. could you provide a link or source?

thanks

I misread the article from where I got that number; the teams don't get $50 million a piece, it's $50 million that the small-market teams get to take from.

This one is from 2003: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...e-sharing_x.htm

This one is from 2008 and states that the Yankees had to pay out $92 million in revenue sharing: http://riveraveblues.com/2008/04/17/how-mu...he-window-2581/

And this is the article from where they get their information: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24167080/

BTW, I have no problem with revenue sharing at all. The Yankees make the most money, spend the most money, they should share the most money with the rest of the league. What people tend to forget is the 2004 Red Sox were the highest payrolled team to win the World Series. People always think the Yankees were.....not so. The Sox spend as much as we do, sometimes on stuff as stupid as we do. It's just everyone thinks they're the lovable losers, and in reality......they're no better than we are.

BTW, I have no problem with revenue sharing at all. The Yankees make the most money, spend the most money, they should share the most money with the rest of the league. What people tend to forget is the 2004 Red Sox were the highest payrolled team to win the World Series. People always think the Yankees were.....not so. The Sox spend as much as we do, sometimes on stuff as stupid as we do. It's just everyone thinks they're the lovable losers, and in reality......they're no better than we are.

Thanks for the link bro :D

and you are right about the Red Sox I get my friends with that one all the time. and i agree with the sharing. man the White Sox still can't friggin sell out their park on a regular baises. and they are in Chicago. i think there are to many baseball teams right now.

another story, when I lived in tampa bay from 92-95 the Bucs made more money when they were on the road. the only time they sold out was against Green Bay and Chicago and when a NY team would come.

Thanks for the link bro :D

and you are right about the Red Sox I get my friends with that one all the time. and i agree with the sharing. man the White Sox still can't friggin sell out their park on a regular baises. and they are in Chicago. i think there are to many baseball teams right now.

another story, when I lived in tampa bay from 92-95 the Bucs made more money when they were on the road. the only time they sold out was against Green Bay and Chicago and when a NY team would come.

I'm most definitely female.

Hi alll,

Not so,....

Payroll-MBL

KB(thanks for not swearing)

I can't see the White sox being at 121 million. no way!

I know that last year the Red Sox spent more money then the Yankees.(they were over 220 million) it was mentioned on sport radio and tv allot.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I always find the That just because they can sit in the stands and scarf down 10 hotdogs, 5 beers, 4 frozen ice creams, 3 - 12 lbs. of peanuts,

Can you? :P

Like they are relief pitchers who save a game, or sluggers who come off the bench to knock in three runs bottom of the ninth and win the game; and therefore claim "we beat them good!"

Fans of ANYTHING,attach themselves to a team,player,band,musician,film,actor,no? "That's Entertainment!" if it inspires someone, all the better,...

KB

Hi all,

But to say "we" really diminishes them a bit don't you think? So when a guy like CC Sabathia pitches a brilliant game for a win, do you believe for one moment that he thinks, "hey, I couldn't have done that without the fans".

Sure,who pays the salaries? Like to see how well these people do with out fans,... :rolleyes:

That without some jabba the hut like tub of a person sitting at home in front of the TV and munching ham sized fists full of cheesepuffs and guzzling gallons of grape soda, and posting sports advise on the internet... that without them the game might not have been won?

Why does that bother you?

There's no WE in baseball unless you are actually suited up and part of the team

Wrong,no crying in baseball.

KB

Hey I am inspired by a great ball player just like the next guy. But to say "we" really diminishes them a bit don't you think? So when a guy like CC Sabathia pitches a brilliant game for a win, do you believe for one moment that he thinks, "hey, I couldn't have done that without the fans". That without some jabba the hut like tub of a person sitting at home in front of the TV and munching ham sized fists full of cheesepuffs and guzzling gallons of grape soda, and posting sports advise on the internet... that without them the game might not have been won?

There's no WE in baseball unless you are actually suited up and part of the team.

Cheers,

Brad

:hysterical: :hysterical:

Girardi has to do the right thing and keep Burnett off the playoff roster, the guy is a complete bum. An overpriced bum at that too.

The Orioles pitching is so bad, last night they lost to the Angels 9-8 in extra innings after taking a two run lead in the 13th. The Angels put up 3 runs to win the game at the bottom of the inning withing minutes. The O's scored 8 runs on 18 hits and they lose.............again.

If you're an Orioles fan I think at some point you have to drop back and punt. Enough of this.

I don't think Burnett will be left off the playoff roster, but he'll be in the pen. Sabathia/Nova/Garcia/Hughes/Colon will more than likely be our rotation, with Sabathia/Garcia/Nova doing short-series duty.

I'm still amazed the Yanks have gotten what they have out of that rotation. I figured they would make a run at the wild card slot, be not seriously challenge the Sox for the AL East!

Burnett cannot be trusted as a starter in the playoffs. I they do as you said and put him in the pen.

The playoffs should be very interesting in the AL this year.

BTW, Roger Maris for the Hall Of Fame! Now more then ever his doing it the right way should be celebrated, in the face of keeping these "'Roid Heads" out of the hall, IMO.

Maris had a couple truly great seasons and one immortal accomplishment but I don't think he had a HOF career overall. I do think MLB ought to honor his 61 home runs as the single season record though and honor Hank Aaron's 755 as the most career home runs.

Barroid will never make the Hall of Fame. McGwire won't either.