Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

I was just about to say that Kerry Wood looks pretty good coming out the pen, but then I looked up his stats and saw his blown save and loss yesterday. Still, looks like he's been pretty good all in all. I'm pulling for the guy, it's a shame to see someone with that much talent and ability have so many ups and downs. 10 years this week since his 1-hit, 20 strikeout performance in 1998. And he was awesome in 2003, and it really sucked to see them implode and not get to the Series that year.

If sornio didn't miss plated that ball, like he did twice today, he would of most likley go the save. Almost every single hit he gave up has been bull shit hits. he throws 96 and they get fooled on his offspeed and they just stick the bat out and the ball finds an opening. Pitched good today tho.

Hi all,

Matt!Great win by the Tigers tonight! :D

KB

I know, and I didn't see it! I saw that the Tigers were up 5-2, then after the game I went online and checked the score and saw that they'd won 10-9 with 2 runs in the bottom of the ninth. Phew!

so this is why i won't get into arguments with real human beings. a white sox fan was arguing his point that both Mark Buerle no-no and Gavin Floyd 1 hitter Tuesday was a better pitched game than Kerry wood 2 strike out game. Now i really can't argue with the no hitter by burhele, but i watched that game and it was pure luck he got that, which is what you need in a game like that. Still Gavin Floyd! his argument was that he took the non-no into the ninth. mine was if you strike out 20, pitched and CG shutout and give up no runs at all, which Gavin did none of, it's a better game than most no hitters.

Gavin Floyd pitched 8.1 inn. gave up a run (unearned) walk three struck out 4 and one hit, took the no hitter into the ninth on a gap shot double.

Kerry Wood had a Complete game shut out walked none, and struck out 20. his only hit came on a play that was ruled an error by everybody in the stadium,except the scorekeeper, in the 6th when the ball bounced off the glove of a stretching cubs third baseman, whom by the way, had the range of prince fielder while playing third. he did hit criag biggio on a lean in and had two balks.

The guy who invented baseball saber metrics, which is the study of baseball on pure numbers and equations. ranks Kerry woods 20 strikeout game, the best pitched game of all time by his way of measuring a pitchers performance. even better than all the perfect games.

I walked away from the fight becasue if he kept going, i would've gave him his cheack and ran him off the job.

Everyone in town seems so worried about the Tigers. We're not pitching very well at all, and the whole team seems to be in a hitting slump. But hell, we're only 3-4 games back. We lost a divisional lead like that in '06 in half a week !

Tigs play the Yanks at home today on national tv, the Piston playoff game starts at 5pm.....and the Wings at 7pm. Now that's some sports action ! B)

Hi all,

Yep, best sports town in America!!

Hi ya Matt!got to disagree and I know your saving the USA for terror attacks by jogging,....

But I -vote- for Boston,Celts,Red Sox(why so many empty seats at the RS vs Tiger series? :P )

Bruins,Pats,....er nevermind! :huh::D

KB

Maybe the Orioles are really getting better?? Will see if they can keep it up. Its been a long wait. Still too early to get too excited though.

I went to the game last night. It's always nice to see the Saux fans get all hyper when they think they're about to win, then see their hopes dashed to the ground. Especially since it's in MY ballpark...

I'm cautiously optimistic since it's only May. I'm trying to wait until at least August to get really excited.

I went to the game last night. It's always nice to see the Saux fans get all hyper when they think they're about to win, then see their hopes dashed to the ground. Especially since it's in MY ballpark...

I'm cautiously optimistic since it's only May. I'm trying to wait until at least August to get really excited.

Ive been an Orioles fan my whole life. I still remember when the late Dave McNally hit a grand slam againt the big red machine in 1970 and Brooks Robinson (my all time favorite player) robbed Johnny Bench and others with spectacular fielding. If you hit a ground ball to the left side in those days, you were OUT. Robinson and Belanger. and them there was 1983, Cal Ripkens's rookie year with Joe Altobelli as the manager. Looking back at the good old days.

The Tigers suck my ballsack. They were shut out AGAIN tonight, by Kansas City. They were shut out I think 4 times all of last season, but it's like the 6th or 7th time already this season. Justin Verlander fell to 1-7 on the year, though tonight wasn't his fault. He only gave up 2 runs. Nice team.

Archived