Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

Ive been an Orioles fan my whole life. I still remember when the late Dave McNally hit a grand slam againt the big red machine in 1970 and Brooks Robinson (my all time favorite player) robbed Johnny Bench and others with spectacular fielding. If you hit a ground ball to the left side in those days, you were OUT. Robinson and Belanger. and them there was 1983, Cal Ripkens's rookie year with Joe Altobelli as the manager. Looking back at the good old days.

The first baseball I remember watching was the 1966 World Series...a great way to be introduced! Brooks is also my favorite player. In fact, he should be everyone's. :D And Dave McNally was my brother's favorite. Such a great tradition, it's hard now...but we have to hang in there.

The Tigers suck my ballsack. They were shut out AGAIN tonight, by Kansas City. They were shut out I think 4 times all of last season, but it's like the 6th or 7th time already this season. Justin Verlander fell to 1-7 on the year, though tonight wasn't his fault. He only gave up 2 runs. Nice team.

I know it's no consolation, but at least your team didn't open 0 and 21...

Hopefully they'll be able to right the ship before long.

The first baseball I remember watching was the 1966 World Series...a great way to be introduced! Brooks is also my favorite player. In fact, he should be everyone's. :D And Dave McNally was my brother's favorite. Such a great tradition, it's hard now...but we have to hang in there.

I would have bet the farm that Detroit would beat Kansas Shitty tonight. So I can see his frustration. they will still win that division I think though in the end. Wish I could say the same for our Orioles. They are playing better but on paper I just dont know. There are no Jim Palmer's or Dave McNally's or Brooks or Frank Robinson's on this team that I know of. Ill keep my fingers crossed though. They have an interleague series coming up with Washington. Good chance to win a few more. I was recently at the Baltimore airport, first time ever, and I couldnt find a damn Orioles coffee cup anywhere. Nothing but cups with crabs on them.

The AL East is the only division with all of its teams having 20 wins or more; from top to bottom the separation is four games. It's very unusual for the East to look like this, especially this far into the season. As for the Orioles, it's just a wait-and-see thing, but it's interesting to watch. Cabrera is definitely better lately than he has been throughout his career; maybe he's finally getting some confidence. Big hits like Payton's today will help do that. He led baseball in losses last season but is currently 4-1; hopefully he can keep it going. Guthrie's also done much better than his 2-3 record indicates, and Olson has been admirable in his recent turns. Trachsel may find himself missing more than one rotation if he can't eat some halfway decent innings, which was his job description for the year. Baltimore is lucky that Scott Moore came over in last season's deal; nobody would really want Trachsel right now; his '08 stuff isn't even good enough to be called "journeyman," and he's going to have to turn in a non-abysmal start against a team other than KC. We'll see next week.

Dave Trembley is doing about as good a job most of the time as one can do. His basics-oriented, non-sugarcoat, call-'em-by-their-last-name approach is what the game needs. He may have never played professionally, but he looks to be a very good student of the game, and his two decades of minor league experience on the bench is translating well, sort of like when he first grabbed the interim position. If upper management knows what's good, they'll keep him around. What happened last season after his announcement as the '08 skipper was unfortunate (the 30-3 game and the subsequent injury-enhanced implosion continuance), but this is a different group, and there is some promise in the pipeline.

It's a little more like it used to be, but yes, it's only May. I'm not about to pigeonhole them just yet, either, however. They've played the most one-run games in the AL (15) and won the most in the majors (10); they also have the best percentage record in those games, with Minnesota (9-5 in one-run games) having lost earlier. Sherrill hasn't blown many opportunities, and now has 15 saves on the season. As long as he isn't overextended, this late bloomer has definite promise - I just hope he isn't cut as trade bait. I understand rebuilding but they're doing too well right now to think about that, especially with Chris Ray, still young yet, still out for quite a stretch, and Danys Baez, who wasn't terribly effective in '07 and screwed up by injury also. Jamie Walker is going through some tough times; I hope that's not all he has this season. He's scaring me right now. Recent callup Jim Johnson has been excellent and gotten the team out of a couple of horrendous jams recently, notably Tuesday night against the Red Sox - the 1-2-3 double play was massive.

I may see one of the games in the second Washington series (at Washington); I'm not sure. I suppose that will depend on how exciting things are.

The AL East is the only division with all of its teams having 20 wins or more; from top to bottom the separation is four games. It's very unusual for the East to look like this, especially this far into the season. As for the Orioles, it's just a wait-and-see thing, but it's interesting to watch. Cabrera is definitely better lately than he has been throughout his career; maybe he's finally getting some confidence. Big hits like Payton's today will help do that. He led baseball in losses last season but is currently 4-1; hopefully he can keep it going. Guthrie's also done much better than his 2-3 record indicates, and Olson has been admirable in his recent turns. Trachsel may find himself missing more than one rotation if he can't eat some halfway decent innings, which was his job description for the year. Baltimore is lucky that Scott Moore came over in last season's deal; nobody would really want Trachsel right now; his '08 stuff isn't even good enough to be called "journeyman," and he's going to have to turn in a non-abysmal start against a team other than KC. We'll see next week.

Dave Trembley is doing about as good a job most of the time as one can do. His basics-oriented, non-sugarcoat, call-'em-by-their-last-name approach is what the game needs. He may have never played professionally, but he looks to be a very good student of the game, and his two decades of minor league experience on the bench is translating well, sort of like when he first grabbed the interim position. If upper management knows what's good, they'll keep him around. What happened last season after his announcement as the '08 skipper was unfortunate (the 30-3 game and the subsequent injury-enhanced implosion continuance), but this is a different group, and there is some promise in the pipeline.

It's a little more like it used to be, but yes, it's only May. I'm not about to pigeonhole them just yet, either, however. They've played the most one-run games in the AL (15) and won the most in the majors (10); they also have the best percentage record in those games, with Minnesota (9-5 in one-run games) having lost earlier. Sherrill hasn't blown many opportunities, and now has 15 saves on the season. As long as he isn't overextended, this late bloomer has definite promise - I just hope he isn't cut as trade bait. I understand rebuilding but they're doing too well right now to think about that, especially with Chris Ray, still young yet, still out for quite a stretch, and Danys Baez, who wasn't terribly effective in '07 and screwed up by injury also. Jamie Walker is going through some tough times; I hope that's not all he has this season. He's scaring me right now. Recent callup Jim Johnson has been excellent and gotten the team out of a couple of horrendous jams recently, notably Tuesday night against the Red Sox - the 1-2-3 double play was massive.

I may see one of the games in the second Washington series (at Washington); I'm not sure. I suppose that will depend on how exciting things are.

Another win for the Oriole! I know its early but I hope they can stick around.

Orioles will fall back to earth.

The Jays on the other hand have won 6 of their last 7 games. Hopefully we can put a nice streak together, because it always seems that we win some games, then lose some games, and never get much higher then .500

There's a collective feeling of shock and bewilderment in Detroit, over how the Tigers are playing. NO ONE could have predicted this. 44 games into the season, and 10 games under .500. To play this poorly for 44 games is too long for this to be considered a slump or a slow start. We're over 1/4 of the way through the season, and they just suck. This isn't a slumping team, this is a BAD team. If they don't turn things around, this could go down as one of the biggest disappointments in baseball history. This was a lineup that was supposed to measure up to the all-time great teams, and they are just terrible. Everyone keeps waiting for them to turn it around, thinking they're too good on paper to play this poorly forever. But it just doesn't seem to happen. They were shut out 4 times all of last season, and today was the 7th time they've been shut out already this season. And they're not even watchable. The baseball they're playing is so fundamentally bad that it's not even fun to watch the games. It was assumed that their pitching would be suspect, but that the offense would simply outslug the other teams. But they can't buy runs with this lineup. It's so bizarre.

There's a collective feeling of shock and bewilderment in Detroit, over how the Tigers are playing. NO ONE could have predicted this. 44 games into the season, and 10 games under .500. To play this poorly for 44 games is too long for this to be considered a slump or a slow start. We're over 1/4 of the way through the season, and they just suck. This isn't a slumping team, this is a BAD team. If they don't turn things around, this could go down as one of the biggest disappointments in baseball history. This was a lineup that was supposed to measure up to the all-time great teams, and they are just terrible. Everyone keeps waiting for them to turn it around, thinking they're too good on paper to play this poorly forever. But it just doesn't seem to happen. They were shut out 4 times all of last season, and today was the 7th time they've been shut out already this season. And they're not even watchable. The baseball they're playing is so fundamentally bad that it's not even fun to watch the games. It was assumed that their pitching would be suspect, but that the offense would simply outslug the other teams. But they can't buy runs with this lineup. It's so bizarre.

Yes indeed it is. But the bright spot in all of this is. The damn Yankees are losing!!! I hate the Yankees.

I'm pretty surprised at the Tigers too. I honestly didnt expect their pitching to be that good, but their offense has been dissapointing to say the least. Good thing for them is that no one is running away with that division. Sox are in 1st but only 3 games above .500

Orioles at Yankees tonight. I am hoping the Orioles can beat them while they are down. Would love nothing more than to hammer Messina tonight. Damn Yankees. Cabrera is 4-1 so maybe they can get a good one out of him.

Mussina's going to perplex you palookas with his perfect pachydermal pitch... one, two, three strikes yer ooooouuuuuttt!

Another Yankees fan huh? Well you guys are going nowhere this year. Spend, Spend Spend and Lose, Lose, Lose. The Orioles are going to show up. As for you Detroit fans, I have a feeling they are going to break out tonight. If they dont soon, they could have no choice but to fire the manager.

I believe in supporting the local teams, not that the Yankees need more fans than they already have (or had, now that they're losing). My best memories are from when they were not much in contention, and we could get good seats amongst the real fans, at somewhat reasonable prices.

Hi all,

Man, forever Boston was the cursed team, now everything seems to be going right for them. 2 of the last 4 World Series, the last 2 no-hitters thrown in the majors.

Hi Matt,all,

Now I am not saying we,deserve this,we being fans of Boston/New England sports,...

Yet for many years we could only talk about the Celtics,and early Bruins and even eariler Red Sox(like the early 20th century!)

There were morons around here who wanted to kill,yes kill Bill Buckner,oever a baseball game,he came back and some how the morons got a CC degree,... :D

I think any fan of a team wants to do well,have a cheer and a smile and win a championship

shoot,let's check out the Celts vs Pistons,...right now! B)

KB

Another Yankees fan huh? Well you guys are going nowhere this year. Spend, Spend Spend and Lose, Lose, Lose. The Orioles are going to show up. As for you Detroit fans, I have a feeling they are going to break out tonight. If they dont soon, they could have no choice but to fire the manager.

Wow - it's like you're psychic today! O's kick Yankee butt!! Tigers break out the offense too...

I couldn't be happier to see Mussina go down - even though only one of those runs was earned.

I was at the Nats game tonight. Scoreless until the 9th, the Phillies beat them 1-0. Ah well... nice night to be out.

There's been alot of "bad" in baseball in recent years, but it's good to see teams that haven't been in contention (or never been, like the Rays) doing something for their fans. This should bring back attendance across the country, which the sport badly needs. And I can sit back and wait for the shmucks that spent hundreds of dollars on Yankee tickets practically giving them away by next month!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Jays just can't seem to hit with RISP...especially when their pitching is solid. Two times they left the bases loaded. Once with NONE out!! If they hope to go far this year they MUST do something about all those stranded baserunners. That, and I hope Rios comes out of the nasty slump he's in.

A month later...they are not hitting with RISP...in fact they are barely hitting at all.

They fired Gibbons and brought back Cito Gaston :o What's next? Bring back the whole '92-'93 World series team?

They should get rid of the GM J.P Ricciardi who is a huge dillhole.

Archived