Baseball discussion thread

Mattmc1973

I feel bad for Matt. Just remember, the '98 Yankees started out quite poorly and look what they did.

This is totally bizarre. You just don't expect to slump this badly right out of the gate. I know the lineup is too good to stay cold forever, but the whole team just looks bad right now. There's a bad vibe, the pitching hasn't been very good, the bullpen is shaky, and they just look dead offensively. Very weird situation that no one could have forseen.

And I feel bad for all the local Tiger fans. There was such a buzz and excitement around here in the off-season, such anticipation for the coming season. Ticket sales were hotter than they've been in decades, and they were the talk of the town all winter. And for all that anticipation to reach a boiling point, the season to start, and.....nothing. Two straight series sweeps, nothing for the fans to cheer about.

They have to get their heads out of their asses soon, before the season gets out of hand.

This is totally bizarre. You just don't expect to slump this badly right out of the gate. I know the lineup is too good to stay cold forever, but the whole team just looks bad right now. There's a bad vibe, the pitching hasn't been very good, the bullpen is shaky, and they just look dead offensively. Very weird situation that no one could have forseen.

And I feel bad for all the local Tiger fans. There was such a buzz and excitement around here in the off-season, such anticipation for the coming season. Ticket sales were hotter than they've been in decades, and they were the talk of the town all winter. And for all that anticipation to reach a boiling point, the season to start, and.....nothing. Two straight series sweeps, nothing for the fans to cheer about.

They have to get their heads out of their asses soon, before the season gets out of hand.

Take it from someone who has seen some real shitty starts to seasons the last couple of years; I very sincerely doubt they'll play like this all year. I remember back in 2000, the Yankees lost something like 12 or 14 of their last 20 games. They finished the year under 90 wins, and everyone and their brother thought they wouldn't last through the playoffs. They did. So things can change. I'm sure come June and July the Tigers will be competitive in their division.

Wow. The Orioles are in first place!! 4-1. Ill enjoy it while it lasts. Probably for another day or two.

Well, at least it has come at a point other than 1-0 (which they didn't even have this year).

We are on vacation and today we visited Joe DiMaggio's grave at Holy Cross Cemetery in Colma, California. I left a signed baseball from my son and I.

dimaggio.jpg

(We also visited Wyatt Earp's grave too just down the road. I left an 'ace of spades' card and .357 cal bullet)

earp.jpg

There are dozens of cemeteries in Colma with some really cool tombstones and crypts. In 1914 the city of San Francisco orderd all graves to be moved outside the city limits and the town of Colma (formerly Lawndale) was created.

Ive been an Orioles fan since 1969. But do you think Im excited? Not yet. No way. Way too early. Check back in a month and if they are still in first then maybe Ill start believing. But on paper, how can you have faith. after all, they traded Bedard and he will probably wiin a Cy Young in the next few years.

I'd say probably remember Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell, Mark Belanger, Jim Palmer, Mike Cuellar, Dave McNally and a few others then don't you ?

I was a Red Sox fan in 1969 though.

Carl Yazstremski, the Canigliaro's, Rico Petrocelli, Carlton Fisk, Ken Harrelson and Jim Lonborg amongst others.

Indeed, memorable days.

To this day, I despise "We Are Family." Every time it comes on I think of those motherfucking Pirates and the '79 Series. It would take longer than a month of sustained pace for me to be comfortable about the Orioles' chances at anything. Just three years ago they led for about nine weeks but imploded in horrific fashion the rest of the way (I think only the Royals had a worse record over the span [which led to Lee Mazzilli's ouster]).

I hate the Mets forever for '69, no matter what. As much as I hate the Yankees, I may hate the Mets a little more...it's a hard decision.

Mind you, I've only been alive for one Series victory by the Orioles, but the legends remain burned into my mind, and I long for a quarter-century like '61-'85, where '60's nascent winning ways turned into The Oriole Way.

I have a signed ball and signed book from Brooks, which I can't see parting with.

The trades this winter had to be done for the future, as well as cutting Gibbons before opening (such an obviously logical decision may not merit being called a masterstroke, though for the Orioles it might as well be). This season there are no expectations, and it's a bit refreshing to not exactly know what will happen every day, even if they lose. If last season's roster came back we know what would happen. At least this way there's the occasional suspense. Yes, a bigger bat would be nice at short, but if Hernandez can get opportune slap hits and well-placed bunts it may stem the pain a little.

I think the jury was really out with a lot of folks about a potential Roberts trade (which may still happen). What it has really come down to according to many is getting enough in return. The protracted nature of the Bedard trade may have also cooled some heels and sent up red flags in Chicago. As far as doing things for the Orioles, Roberts was probably the best out of the '07 offseason trade bait. Tejada had decent stats, but wasn't living up to high management's (and many fans') expectations. Bedard just happened to have a really good season in '07 until the injury derailment. In past years I've called him Bedard the Retard for some purely shoddy play, but if he's finally turned the corner permanently, good for him. Roberts is a catalyst with a good attitude overall, though he doesn't sit the best with me due to his steroid experimentation.

I'm not sure what a trade would bring, temporally speaking. Most of the trade talk has revolved around the fact that Roberts is 30 now, and the team needs more upside. However, if no triggers are pulled soon, and the club can maintain momentum for an extended period of time (if the rotation doesn't pick up, this will not happen - look at last season's example), the trade speculation may fade for awhile. It's really hard to tell right now. If they falter later but before the deadline, things will likely heat up again.

OTHAFA - former farm team...Rochester?

What about this latest on the curse of the new Yankee's stadium?

Workmen dug up the jersey a concrete worker buried under, I think, a hallway near an underconstruction restaurant. A co-worker named the "jersey undertaker" and the Bronx DA is considering charges against him.

At first Yankee officials were going to leave the jersey but decided to retrieve it, bowing to superstition!

The shirt is number 34, David Ortiz, and will be sent to a Boston charity called the JIMMY fund to be auctioned off.

Hilarious!

What about this latest on the curse of the new Yankee's stadium?

Workmen dug up the jersey a concrete worker buried under, I think, a hallway near an underconstruction restaurant. A co-worker named the "jersey undertaker" and the Bronx DA is considering charges against him.

At first Yankee officials were going to leave the jersey but decided to retrieve it, bowing to superstition!

The shirt is number 34, David Ortiz, and will be sent to a Boston charity called the JIMMY fund to be auctioned off.

Hilarious!

I don;t think he should be charged, but he should be run off that job, and if the unions work in new york like they do in Chicago, he'll be flipping burgers for the next year.

I don;t think he should be charged, but he should be run off that job, and if the unions work in new york like they do in Chicago, he'll be flipping burgers for the next year.

If he relocated to Boston he might receive a hero's welcome.

And he could hawk burgers at Fenway.

Archived