The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

2 hours ago, greengrass said:

Wow thats too bad . RIP

Did you know he was a member here? I think he was logged in a few days ago .

Yes. Sad news, indeed. 

R😎

Guitarist and producer Robin George who worked with Phil Lynott, Robert Plant, Asia, Magnum, Glenn Hughes and many more. Robin was born in Wolverhampton, and released his first EP, the six-track History, in 1983. He also wrote Red for Danger with Robert Plant, a song that appears on the Sixty-six To Timbuktu compilation. Robin was 68.

spacer.png

RIP

On 5/1/2024 at 6:04 PM, luvlz2 said:

attachment-central-press-hulton-archive-getty.webp.7af5252a9a679e12c9c7e389ecddda9e.webp

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Guitarist Duane Eddy Dead At 86 - https://ultimateclassicrock.com/duane-eddy-dead/

JIMMY PAGE Pays Tribute To DUANE EDDY: 'He Was Such A Lovely Man'

May 3, 2024

LED ZEPPELIN's Jimmy Page has paid tribute to Duane Eddy, a pioneering guitar hero who died earlier this week at age 86. Eddy passed away of cancer Tuesday at the Williamson Health hospital in Franklin, Tennessee, according to his wife, Deed Abbate.

On Friday (May 3),Jimmy took to his Instagram to share the following message: "I am sad to hear of the passing of Duane Eddy. I first saw him perform at the Granada in Kingston in November 1963 and topping the bill that evening was Gene Vincent.

"In 2011, I spoke to Duane on the radio from the BBC Studios as the producers had prepared a link up with him in Nashville. Duane was hosting a tribute programme to Les Paul and we discussed the massive pioneering contribution that Les had presented to the world.

"More recently, in 2018, I had the chance to meet Duane and his wife as he performed at the London Palladium alongside Richard Hawley. He was introduced to the stage that night by Whispering Bob Harris and it was a pleasure to get the chance to meet him: he was such a lovely man.

"Duane Eddy twanged the thang in the late 50s and 60s and you can hear his character sound appearing throughout the decades of popular music. He will be missed and my thoughts are with his family. RIP, Duane."

The Grammy Award-winning American guitarist Eddy had a string of instrumental hits spanning more than four decades. He was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1994. Eddy devised early in his career a technique that involved playing lead guitar on bass strings, thus producing that characteristic low reverberant "twangy" sound.

Eddy, who moved to Nashville in 1985, recorded more than 50 albums, but was not very active from the 1980s on, "living off my royalties," he said in 1986.

"Duane inspired a generation of guitarists the world over with his unmistakable signature 'Twang' sound," Eddy's representative said after his death.

"He was the first rock and roll guitar god, a truly humble and incredible human being. He will be sorely missed."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/jimmy-page-pays-tribute-to-duane-eddy-he-was-such-a-lovely-man

Posted (edited)

ritchieblackmoremarch2024youtube_638.webp.1627a57a5da9fecd558e0fdba19f54ac.webp

Ritchie Blackmore Pays Tribute To Duane Eddy: 'He Will Always Be My Number One Inspiration'

May 2 2024

Deep Purple's Ritchie Blackmore has paid tribute to Duane Eddy, a pioneering guitar hero who died earlier this week at age 86. Eddy passed away of cancer Tuesday at the Williamson Health hospital in Franklin, Tennessee, according to his wife, Deed Abbate.

On Wednesday (May 1), Ritchie took to his social media to share the following message: "Just heard about the passing of the wonderful Duane Eddy who was my first guitar idol with songs like Rebel Rouser, Shazam, Some Kind Of Earthquake. I would always rush out and buy his long playing records. My favorite all time tune from him was The Lonely One.

"He was a brilliant guitarist in his own right. He was the first guitar player with that deep bass sound which I loved. Unfortunately, I never saw him live, although I tried to see him playing on a couple of occasions. One particular time, when I was 12, I went to London airport to meet him. I sat there for hours waiting, so I could get a glimpse of him. After 2-3 hours, I asked the ground staff what time his plane would be in as it was obviously delayed. They told me his plane actually came in early and I missed him. That was my first of many futile attempts to see him. But I would play his music night and day.

"He was very kind to me last year, because I had missed him on so many occasions, he sent me a Gretsch Guitar as a present for Christmas. I couldn't believe it.

"He will always be my number one inspiration from the time I took up the guitar until now. He was so unique in his playing.

"The world has lost a great guitar player. A truly unique guitar player.

"Our hearts are with Deed and his family."

The Grammy Award-winning American guitarist Eddy had a string of instrumental hits spanning more than four decades. He was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 1994. Eddy devised early in his career a technique that involved playing lead guitar on bass strings, thus producing that characteristic low reverberant "twangy" sound.

Eddy, who moved to Nashville in 1985, recorded more than 50 albums, but was not very active from the 1980s on, "living off my royalties," he said in 1986.

"Duane inspired a generation of guitarist the world over with his unmistakable signature 'Twang' sound," Eddy's representative said after his death.

"He was the first rock and roll guitar god, a truly humble and incredible human being. He will be sorely missed."

https://blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-pays-tribute-to-duane-eddy-he-will-always-be-my-number-one-inspiration

Edited by luvlz2

Posted (edited)

Damn. Steve Albini is dead from a heart attack at only age 61. Big Black. Shellac. Producer on albums by the Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Low, and Page & Plaht ("Walking Into Clarksdale"), among many others. Steve and Shellac were just getting ready to tour their first new album in ten years. Sad day. R.I.P.

https://pitchfork.com/news/steve-albini-storied-producer-and-icon-of-the-rock-underground-dies-at-61/

Edited by Strider

On 5/8/2024 at 10:20 AM, Strider said:

Damn. Steve Albini is dead from a heart attack at only age 61. Big Black. Shellac. Producer on albums by the Pixies, Nirvana, PJ Harvey, Low, and Page & Plaht ("Walking Into Clarksdale"), among many others. Steve and Shellac were just getting ready to tour their first new album in ten years. Sad day. R.I.P.

https://pitchfork.com/news/steve-albini-storied-producer-and-icon-of-the-rock-underground-dies-at-61/

Very well said Strider. He was a great producer, musician, and I really enjoyed hearing the insights he shared on his many wonderful projects. Seemed like a really good dude. Certainly gone way too soon. God Bless his family and friends.