The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

First Dawkins, now Malone!  My old favorites from the 76'ers Dr. J era are all passing...

RIP Moses, you were a dominating presence in the middle.  Condolences to his family, friends and ebk.  

Yeah, remember when the '76ers were good? I usually hated it when the Lakers lost, but there's only been one time that I didn't get too upset over the Lakers losing the NBA Championship. That was in 1983, when they lost to the Philadelphia '76ers of Moses and the Doctor. The Lakers had already won two championships since Magic's arrival, and I was a Dr. J fan before Magic even appeared on the scene at Michigan State, so I didn't begrudge Julius Erving finally getting his championship. Moses was a hard-working player in the post and you couldn't help but admire him. With Toney the Boston Strangler and Bobby Jones, that was an easy Sixers team to like. Definitely better than the Steve Mix-George McGinnis-World B. Free years or the A.I. teams.

REO was never my cup of tea, but when I saw them live at the Texxas Jam in 1982, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Gary's guitar-playing and easy-going stage presence. He seems too young to be gone. R.I.P. Gary.

Edited by Strider

RIP Yogi Berra, one of the all-time great American icons.

• "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."

• "All pitchers are liars or crybabies."

• "He hits from both sides of the plate. He's amphibious."

• "You can't think and hit at the same time."

• "So, I'm ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face."

• "It's deja vu all over again."

• Even Napoleon had his Watergate."

• "You can observe a lot just by watching."

• "I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did."

• "Why buy good luggage? You only use it when you travel."

• "The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase."

• "Cut my pie into four pieces. I don't think I could eat eight."

• "Never answer an anonymous letter."

• "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

• "If you don't know where you are going, you'll end up someplace else."

• "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

• "If you can't imitate him, don't copy him."

• "The future ain't what it used to be."

• "A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

• "I never said most of the things I said."

• "It ain't over 'til it's over."

• "Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise, they won't come to yours."

• 3 weeks later...

Rest in Peace Gail Zappa, age 70 to lung cancer. The rock that gave her genius husband, Frank the space and freedom to express his limitless creative musical vision. Gail also kept his brilliant music alive by running the Zappa Family Trust, releasing over 30 recordings Frank had ready in the vaults before his untimely passing in late 1993... which furthermore proved FZ as possibly the most prolific composer of the last 50 years.

Wishing peace to Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva Zappa. 

Edited by the chase

Rest in Peace Gail Zappa, age 70 to lung cancer. The rock that gave her genius husband, Frank the space and freedom to express his limitless creative musical vision. Gail also kept his brilliant music alive by running the Zappa Family Trust, releasing over 30 recordings Frank had ready in the vaults before his untimely passing in late 1993... which furthermore proved FZ as possibly the most prolific composer of the last 50 years.

Wishing peace to Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva Zappa. 

Thank you, Chris, for posting this. I'm still very sad over Gail Zappa's passing...it hit too close that I didn't even want to think about it on the internet. Every time I met her she was amazingly generous with her time and her knowledge and love of Frank Zappa was infectious.

My friends at the Cinematheque had worked hard to get tonight's premiere of "Roxy: The Movie" set up, with Gail, Ahmet, and Moon Zappa appearing for a discussion along with Jeff Stein, John Albarian, and Alex Winter. When Gail Zappa passed away last week, it cast a pall over everyone.

Needless to say, the premiere is still happening but alas, Gail will only be there in spirit. Rest in peace, gracious Gail.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/roxy-the-movie-0

Thank you, Chris, for posting this. I'm still very sad over Gail Zappa's passing...it hit too close that I didn't even want to think about it on the internet. Every time I met her she was amazingly generous with her time and her knowledge and love of Frank Zappa was infectious.

My friends at the Cinematheque had worked hard to get tonight's premiere of "Roxy: The Movie" set up, with Gail, Ahmet, and Moon Zappa appearing for a discussion along with Jeff Stein, John Albarian, and Alex Winter. When Gail Zappa passed away last week, it cast a pall over everyone.

Needless to say, the premiere is still happening but alas, Gail will only be there in spirit. Rest in peace, gracious Gail.

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/roxy-the-movie-0

Thank you Sean. I never met Gail Zappa, but have always admired her for many reasons. It must be tough at times to live with a driven workaholic musical genius like Frank Zappa. She, from what I gather supported him unconditionally.

I'm glad you got to meet her and confirm what a wonderful person she was.

I saw ZPZ for the second time this past July. I kept thinking she was sitting off by the side of the stage. Turns out it wasn't her. The first time I saw ZPZ. the opening act was footage (about 45 minutes) of The Roxy show. This was  really cool because Napoleon Murphy Brock was in the film and in Zappa Plays Zappa.

• 2 weeks later...