The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

I was surprised to discover that Christopher Lee does not have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, while soon to be forgotten mediocrities like Ryan Seacrest and Shakira have been honoured.

And of course, Yes still isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame while Green Day is. Now that Chris Squire has passed away, there will probably be a sentimental push to vote Yes into the HoF. But it would have been nice if Jann & Co. could have done it while Chris Squire was still alive to attend the induction, you stupid dopes.

I read that Jerry Weintraub assumed room temperature today.

RIP sir, and thanks for your hand in bringing Led Zeppelin to Birmingham in May of 1977.

(I guess decorum should prohibit me to suggest Led Zeppelin do a one off in North America in his remembrance)

R.I.P. Jerry Weintraub. If you went to one of the 1977 Led Zeppelin shows, chances are your ticket had Jerry's name printed on it. His book "When I Stop Talking, You'll Know I'm Dead" is a fun read and covers a lot of important cultural ground...similar in vein to Robert Evans' "The Kid Stays in the Picture".

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/07/arts/jerry-weintraub-a-force-in-film-and-music-dies-at-77.html?_r=0&referrer=

https://books.google.com/books?id=OhfbwSjPtecC&pg=PT80&lpg=PT80&dq=jerry+weintraub+presents+led+zeppelin&source=bl&ots=5CnP3NBQ5P&sig=WzSgpFymt9zLMizbDn_LdtVKHSo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z32bVYGRAcjkoATa3qzoDg&ved=0CB0Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=jerry%20weintraub%20presents%20led%20zeppelin&f=false

post-1470-0-97088300-1436253335_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-69252100-1436253354_thumb.jp

Edited by Strider

I remember reading in some book about Led Zeppelin that the first time Jerry Weintraub saw Jimmy Page on stage playing in 1977, his first question was "Is this guy gonna live"?

Most of us know that Jerry was a prominent movie producer and maybe had a hand in the dialogue for this scene of "Oceans 12":

Edited by kingzoso

The OLD Raiders were a big reason I got hooked on football, especially with our local teams being unwatchable at that time. One of the first Monday night games I ever watched, the kicker on the opposing team was blocked and knocked down, a Raider scooped it up and ran it back for a TD - and just for good measure about three other Raiders stomped on his face and chest as they ran over him. I turned to the friend who invited me over, and thanked him endlessly - for introducing me to such great theater!

Wow. Just saw the news. Kenny Stabler. One of the great teams of all time were his Raiders. I always liked him. Never will I forget that game in Pittsburgh. Can you believe he ran in a 40 yd TD in that game vs the mighty Steel Curtain? Never deserved to lose that game but he got his Super Bowl unlike my boys. Great player. Dart player too. And great guy

• 2 weeks later...

Rest in Peace great character actor, Alex Rocco - aged 79.

Best known as Moe Greene in The Godfather...

"The Corleone Family wants to buy me out!!?No! I buy you out"!!!

"He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time! Customer's couldn't get a drink! What the hell's the matter with you?"

He also played (among many other great roles,) Saul Siler, the head of the Playtone Galaxy in That Thing You Do!!

"Andy!! What in the bloody hell is this!? Auditions during my lunchtime? Yeah, Like I got time on my hands! You want to get Fabian away from me..?"

And many other great quotable lines.

PS..I hate auto correct.....

Edited by the chase

Thanks LIVIN. I messed up one of the quotes a little. I was going by memory..

"He was banging cocktail waitresses two at a time! Players couldn't get a drink at the table. What's the matter with you"?

There. That's better..

Was also in Get Shorty, The Friends Of Eddie Coyle, and did a lot of voice work.

Edited by the chase

• 2 weeks later...

Another one of my childhood favorites from the wrestling business gone--and, like so many wrestlers who have passed, he dies at what I would say is a relatively young age...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pro-wrestler-roddy-piper-dead-61-article-1.2311240

I am not nor have ever really been a wrestling fan, but a lot of my friends and family apparently are...for my phone has been blowing up all afternoon with the news of Rowdy Roddy Piper's ascending to the squared circle in the sky. So I can respect the pain and sadness you feel, PC and Walter.

He helped make the WWF what it is today. RIP Rowdy Roddy.

Edited by Strider