Jimi Hendrix

gperkins151

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey about the Maui gig. The gig looks SO small - only a handful of people. Maybe a couple of hundred? I LOVE Hendrix, but don't have the knowledge like I do with Zeppelin. You'd think a Hendrix gig in 1970 would have drawn thousands. What a beautiful and intimate venue, it looks so peaceful compared to Woodstock and Altamont. Thanks!

50 Years Gone.

September 18, 1970 12:45p.m. London Time.

By the time I woke up that Friday morning in California, Jimi Hendrix's death was already news. This was the first "celebrity death" that really hit me on a deep personal level. All of the previous deaths of the 1960s I was too young or too unaware to really be effected.

But losing Jimi Hendrix? I knew what that meant. Not just the loss of his life. But the loss of all future music he might have given to the world.

"The story
Of life is quicker
Than the wink of an eye
The story of love
Is hello and goodbye
Until we meet again"

~Jimi Hendrix

1189870613_JimiHendrixarticlefromStarsAndStripesnewspaper19September1970.jpeg.6bb1c8677943ed82b67e79f554924448.jpeg

Edited by Strider

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:34 PM, luvlz2 said:

^^What a trip watching the audience, especially the chick sitting down at the 4:00 minute mark!

Speaking of trips, that girl is clearly on something.  She's having a good time, I guess.  As mentioned, the size of the crowd is striking, I think a couple hundred is a generous estimate.  Almost like a modern video where they bring in an audience of extras.  Wasn't this gig in the mountains/hills or something?  Maybe that explains why there weren't a lot of people.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Speaking of trips, that girl is clearly on something.  She's having a good time, I guess.  As mentioned, the size of the crowd is striking, I think a couple hundred is a generous estimate.  Almost like a modern video where they bring in an audience of extras.  Wasn't this gig in the mountains/hills or something?  Maybe that explains why there weren't a lot of people.

From what I recall reading the Maui stage was set up in a field across the road from the local community centre. The playing in the "volcano crater" story is a myth.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...