Forbes: What Robert Plant Can Teach Leaders

dimestoreguru

Love it,this part is so true:

Plant is touring, quietly and with little fanfare, at the same time that the Stones continue to plunder consumers by attempting to charge over $600 for a premium ticket. It might seem insulting enough that the Stones come by for one last mugging of their fans; but even as septuagenarians, their anniversary tour theme, “50 and Counting” implies that they’re not done taking your loot yet, and will be back in a wheelchair next time if need be.

Here's a Forbes.com piece I wrote this morning about Robert Plant, and how he could be a model for most CEOs, celebrities and leaders.....

Love it,this part is so true:

Plant is touring, quietly and with little fanfare, at the same time that the Stones continue to plunder consumers by attempting to charge over $600 for a premium ticket. It might seem insulting enough that the Stones come by for one last mugging of their fans; but even as septuagenarians, their anniversary tour theme, “50 and Counting” implies that they’re not done taking your loot yet, and will be back in a wheelchair next time if need be.

...Great Read, I truly enjoyed this perspective on the Legendary Robert Plant...very experienced artist in every aspect of life and every culture in this world, naturally, he knows his purpose and conviction to believe in himself and his creativity..I am sure that many artists explore the world, but few have seen it as Robert did, foremost with his heart, then the eyes, and lastly with his mind...

and CLW, ofcourse there is Only one "Robert Plant"...as there is only one "Jimmy Page"...totally understand in this regard...

edited for clarify....

Thanks, Sagittarius, CLW, PlanetPage and everyone else. I'll admit that, for years, I was bitter about how Plant seemed to think he was too good to reunite with Page and Jones. Only now, as I watch how he handles his Zeppelin legacy with grace and with a forward-looking style, do I realize that he actually added to the Zeppelin legacy by not taking the "milk them for every last dollar" approach that other rock legends did.

That was an exceptional piece and well done DSG! :thumbsup:

Robert continues to seek his musical path forward without a regard for money. It's what he believes, what's in his heart and as a connecting point to something else. I suppose it's what Zeppelin did from one album to another. Years ago he said that when talking about the early days of Zeppelin that after Zep II they could have given the fans another WLL, but they didn't as Zep III was produced. He actually said something to, (when Zeppelin were together), that the whole band felt that they wouldn't give the people what they want. He didn't explain this much, but I suppose it was about stretching their music artistically and make it as diverse as possible with all the world influences etc. That's how I took it.

I think, the abovet was from an MTV interview back in the late 1980's. My guess around Now and Zen to the early 90's. My memory is quite good on these things. Amazing, how he continues to reinvent himself and move forward with so much diverse and new musical influences without regard for a Zep reunion for hundreds of millions or substantial commercial success with a pop album, which he certainly could do!

As much as I'd love to see Zep reunite as I was just a bit too young to see them, there is probably not an artist I have more respect for for than Robert Plant! He knows what he wants to do and is has an unbelievable breadth of music knowledge, is so sharp and is quite certain where his current path will lead him!

The actor Dan Aykroyd , in an interview many years ago at the Atlantic Records concert said that Robert Plant was the most interesting person and had the most knowledge about music and the blues he had ever met. He was overwhelmed when meeting him.

To be fair, the Rolling Stones, at this point in their career, don't pretend to be anything but a nostalgia act. Everyone who goes to their concerts knows this. If nostalgic baby boomers want to blow several hundred dollars to relive their youth and watch The Stones relive theirs; who does it hurt? You also have to give Mick Jagger props for being able to get out there and perform the Stones' greatest hits with anything approaching the energy and vocal range of his prime.

This is getting ridiculous. Robert Plant touring with his own nonrock band, JPJ making infrequent appearances and Jimmy Page literally doing nothing is NOT better than what the Stones are doing.

Completely ridiculous and without substance as the complete opposite is the truth regarding especially RP and JPJ!

I'm talking about past few years.

When was the last time Robert wrote a rock song?

Well since summer of 2000 for the most part for JP as he was touring with the Black Crowes, until he injured his back. The joke was that this happened as he was tired of carrying the Black Crowes around! Too bad he hasn't been able to get back out there on a semi regular basis as soon as he was healed more than likely from his injuries over ten years ago. Who knows!

Robert Plant has done more artistically since the demise of Zeppelin than Jones and Page combined.

I'm not sure if this is true. JPJ has produced or played with a variety of musical acts since Zep broke up. However, a lot of what he has done is less commercial than Plant's projects, hence they didn't receive as much coverage in either the music press.

Well since summer of 2000 for the most part for JP as he was touring with the Black Crowes, until he injured his back. The joke was that this happened as he was tired of carrying the Black Crowes around! Too bad he hasn't been able to get back out there on a semi regular basis as soon as he was healed more than likely from his injuries over ten years ago. Who knows!

You're forgetting that he's currently recording a studio album.

:rolleyes:

You're forgetting that he's currently recording a studio album.

:rolleyes:

We've been hearing about this since....perhaps 2005 and has yet to deliver. I would like to think that he does fulfill this instead of just talking it up. I'm sure he wants to, but it's a matter of the completion of the task. He has yet to divulge details of a solo project so who knows if he is actually involved with one at the moment. I would like to think so, but no confirmation yet.

I agree and disagree with your very well written article,,

I love what Robert is doing. I admire his post Zeppelin career a great deal.

Same goes for JPJ and Jimmy.

But I have no real issue with what The Rolling Stones are doing either..

I wouldn't pay $600 dollars to see them. But, if someone else (like my older brother) wants to.. it's their money.

Supply and demand is a practice most readers of Forbes believe in.

PP and J could pull off the biggest tour in the history of rock music.. and we all know it (including the Stones) ..

but it's not going to happen.

Maybe the satisfaction of knowing it is enough for them.

Archived