Jump to content

Redditch to erect a statue of John Bonham in his honour


Joe Bloggs
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Ah, ok. I guess I overlooked the fact that it's a grass roots, home town sponsored gesture. 

I don't think Page, Plant or Jones would attend any festivities either, as their presence may overshadow what is meant to be a tribute to John. Of course, I anticipate Jason will be there, and several Bonham family members. THAT will really make it a memorable day!   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Does anyone else think the statue looks a bit mad? I mean it might be great in the flesh but all the tympanis and cymbals could look a bit 'busy'.

I was think it would just be him standing like most statues you see.

Yeah, it looks a bit cluttered from the artist's impression, but hopefully the real statue will look better when you see it in the flesh.

At least he's not clutching a mudshark or doing jobbies in a handbag.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hahahaha. . jobbies in a handbag. .I hope that the Bonham family have given their blessings. . We couldnt have the greatest dummer of all time "standing" there. .kinda defeats the purpose of him and his craft. . It is a little busy in a 3.25 mega pixel fake pic so lets hope that when its done it does him absolute justice:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bozoso73 said:

hahahaha. . jobbies in a handbag. .I hope that the Bonham family have given their blessings. . We couldnt have the greatest dummer of all time "standing" there. .kinda defeats the purpose of him and his craft. . It is a little busy in a 3.25 mega pixel fake pic so lets hope that when its done it does him absolute justice:)

 

There are stutues of The Beatles in Liverpool without a drum or guitar in sight.

I think having the whole drum kit there is a bit much, hopefully I'm wrong and it looks great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

 

There are stutues of The Beatles in Liverpool without a drum or guitar in sight.

I think having the whole drum kit there is a bit much, hopefully I'm wrong and it looks great.

I see your point Mook but if you think about it, most pics of the Beatles werent "action" shots. . they were always posing . . Most shots of Bonzo were as we remember. . slaying his kit. .Most of the statues out there are a reflection or recreation of that person(s) doing what made them enough to be immortalized in the first place. . Old was generals on horses (being torn down now in some cases), Flying to the hoop ala Air Jordan, or Marines putting a flag post in the ground. . they are in ACTION. . I just doesnt seem to do him justice standing there maybe NEXT to a set when he was the greatest when BEHIND it:):)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually think the whole inert statue concept is now passe.

Obviously budget and location was a limiting factor on this occasion, but some sort of multimedia, interactive installation would have been great. 

I literally want to feel Bonham's legendary bass drum beater in the walls of my gut as I approach him. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

I see your point Mook but if you think about it, most pics of the Beatles werent "action" shots. . they were always posing . . Most shots of Bonzo were as we remember. . slaying his kit. .Most of the statues out there are a reflection or recreation of that person(s) doing what made them enough to be immortalized in the first place. . Old was generals on horses (being torn down now in some cases), Flying to the hoop ala Air Jordan, or Marines putting a flag post in the ground. . they are in ACTION. . I just doesnt seem to do him justice standing there maybe NEXT to a set when he was the greatest when BEHIND it:):)

Yeah, all fair points.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Mook said:

Does anyone else think the statue looks a bit mad? I mean it might be great in the flesh but all the tympanis and cymbals could look a bit 'busy'.

I was think it would just be him standing like most statues you see.

It's very hard to tell what's going on in that photo and I haven't seen any other pics on a Google search. I think the whole idea is wonderful and just hope whoever the sculptor is, he has a sense of taste and can render the feeling of Bonzo playing. I hope it's not a cluttered up mess. It really depends on the artists aesthetic.  In some ways I think a relief would make more sense if it's going to be an action shot because there is so much air space between drums and cymbals. This could be very moving if it's done right , in Bronze.  Bronzo!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hope to visit this one day!

 

http://www.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/news/15592371.Redditch_rock_legend_John_Bonham_to_be_honoured_with_town_statue/

Redditch to finally get a statue of legendary Led Zeppelin drummer John Bonham after plans given green light by councillors

6820676.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

 REDDITCH rock legend John Bonham will finally be honoured with a statute in the town centre.

A large bronze memorial depicting the Led Zeppelin drummer will be built in Mercian Square, off Church Green.

The main bulk of the funds for the memorial, by renowned British sculptor Mark Richards, have been raised thanks to a private donation.

The memorial will have an arc shaped footprint and be approximately 180cm high (at its highest point), 490cm wide by 125cm deep and weigh more than 2,500kg.

The statue, featuring a wheelchair friendly path around it, will be fixed onto a concrete foundation.

The striking design is intended for 360 degree viewing.

It is hoped the statue will be revealed before what would have been the iconic drummer's 70th birthday in May next year.

The plans were given the go-ahead at a Redditch Council meeting last night.

It is the culmination of years of hard work and fundraising by The John Bonham Memorial Fund, formed in 2013 to raise cash for a permanent memorial.

Bonham was born in Redditch and was the drummer for Led Zeppelin until he died at the age of 32 in 1980.

6936324.jpg?type=article-full

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

Glad they included the gong. The flaming gong at the end of WLL was one my favorite parts of The Song Remains the Same

Especially the continuity error of it going off then back on again as they switch from one camera to the next after the song has finished.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What’s happening on the John Bonham Statue opening in Redditch?? 

It’s disappeared off the Led Zeppelin “Upcoming events” prominently featured on Twitter & weekly emails. 

Second time I’ve asked on here & no replies! Am I missing something........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The city council approved the planning permit more than six months ago, but I've seen nothing that suggests they ever raised more than 10% of the 50,000 GBP necessary to produce it.

However, there's a tribute act performing in Redditch on June 3 with the proceeds going to the John Bonham Memorial Fund, so if anything it seems to still be a going concern. 

Edited by SteveAJones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

The city council approved the planning permit more than six months ago, but I've seen nothing that suggests they ever raised more than 10% of the 50,000 GBP necessary to produce it.

However, there's a tribute act performing in Redditch on June 3 with the proceeds going to the John Bonham Memorial Fund, so if anything it seems to still be a going concern. 

It says in the article posted above from October 2017 that "The main bulk of the funds for the memorial, by renowned British sculptor Mark Richards, have been raised thanks to a private donation.".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

CYMBALS flying, his drum sticks a blur, John Bonham, hailed as the greatest rock drummer there has ever been, has been re-born in Mercian Square, Redditch.

john-bonham-578x434.jpg

At midnight on Wednesday night, Thursday morning, on the dawn of his 70th birthday, a two and a half tonne cast bronze tribute to the Led Zeppelin drummer was placed in the heart of his home town.

The work of sculptor Mark Richards the piece, set on a plinth inspired by the band’s album Houses of the Holy, shows Bonham in full flow, hair a swirl as he beats out the rhythms which made the band famous.

Ros Sidaway, owner of Birchfield Road record shop Vintage Trax who has been at the heart of efforts to get a tribute to John Bonham in Redditch, said: “It’s hard to believe that it’s finally here.

“It was dropped in place at midnight, just at the start of John’s birthday. It was under floodlights but in the natural light of day you can see how beautiful it is.”

The sculpture is the result of years of fund raising, the work of a small band of dedicated fans here in Redditch, and the support of John Bonham’s family, without whom it would never have been possible.

Led Zeppelin sold more than 300 million albums worldwide and such is the appeal of the band that Redditch is likely to become a place of pilgrimage for fans around the globe.

tribute-771x344.jpg

-----------------------------

https://redditchstandard.co.uk/news/cymbals-flying-bronze-tribute-to-led-zep-drummer-john-bonham-is-put-in-place/

 

bbc-photo.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...