2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

I know a 3 game sweep usually doesn't make for good baseball, but that was one of the most intense games I can remember. I knew the O's were good, but 3 game sweep good?!?

I feel sorry for the Royals, if they indeed advance to the next round. Playoff baseball, there's nothing in the world like it...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

I know a 3 game sweep usually doesn't make for good baseball, but that was one of the most intense games I can remember. I knew the O's were good, but 3 game sweep good?!?

I feel sorry for the Royals, if they indeed advance to the next round. Playoff baseball, there's nothing in the world like it...

baseball_zpsa6498512.gif

Detroit would beat either of these two teams I am now watching. Bring them on. KC has to be happy to be this far. I am wondering if the Angels could pull this off? I like Rye for the Dodgers over Lackey. I will stand by that. I am not sure about the Nats. I just cannot imagine the Nats going down in 3. They are good enough to rally. If they can overcome the emotion.

How about that game ending double play by the Orioles. They have the best infield in the game regardless of who is at third. Hardy, Schoop are a hell of a team. Manny Machado makes them super human. Now I wonder what Buck does about Davis. Will he write him into the 24 man roster?

I would be shocked if the Giants didn't sweep. The Giants just know how to win when it really matters. The Nats are in over their heads. Game 3 in that Cards/Dodgers series will be pivotal--whoever takes that game wins the series.

So what does Buck do about Davis? Paul? EBK? I personally would add him, and when he is eligible, put him at 3rd, and leave Pearce at 1st. It makes us even more deadly. Nothing against Flaherty, he has been so great for us. But Buck said he will have the team take a vote. I am sure by secret ballot. That will be very interesting. And its coming.

^^ You know that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Davis was batting below .200 and strikeout how many times--well over a 100 i believe. What could he really add to the machine that is Baltimore right now. But, if Buck did add Davis to the roster I wouldn't second guess him. Every move he's made so far has payed off...

^^ You know that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Davis was batting below .200 and strikeout how many times--well over a 100 i believe. What could he really add to the machine that is Baltimore right now. But, if Buck did add Davis to the roster I wouldn't second guess him. Every move he's made so far has payed off...

Its basically replacing Flaherty with Davis at 3rd when the time comes. Davis coming in fresh could be the monster he was last year. If not, Buck could pull the plug and they have enough offense to go around. If they were to beat KC in 5, he would not be able to play in the ALCS. Only the Series.

So, let's assume KC wins tonight--would you want to see a long series with KC or a quick 4 or 5 game series? I'm looking way too far ahead, but I can assume the only drawback to a short series with KC is that you would probably have a long layoff before the World Series and we know how that affects a team--but again, I'm probably jumping the gun just a bit...

So, let's assume KC wins tonight--would you want to see a long series with KC or a quick 4 or 5 game series? I'm looking way too far ahead, but I can assume the only drawback to a short series with KC is that you would probably have a long layoff before the World Series and we know how that affects a team--but again, I'm probably jumping the gun just a bit...

I guess it depends on how the NL plays out. I do not think it matters a few days off because the rest has done Baltimore's staff good in the past. Buck keeps them working while they wait. I cannot see KC taking us any farther than 6. Detroit has far more weapons offensively. I know KC has a good bullpen unlike Detroit, but not enough offense to stay with us. Hundley and Joseph can both throw out runners trying to steal just like Wieters. Matt has the better bat of course. Shields is always a threat. Tonight he has given up two solo shots. Now the Angels have a runner on 2nd and 1st with one out. Shields getting a visit. Angels are not going to go quietly

Who saw this coming? KC? If they hold on here and its 8-2 with 3 Ducks on the pond with two out., neither KC or Baltimore will play until Friday. I have to check the schedule as soon as its released. If they start Friday and if Baltimore were to win that series lets say in 6, it may end before my flight to NJ? On the 17th? I have already checked the World Series and I will be back before it starts for sure. Yes, I am VERY VERY confident the Orioles will represent the AL. And why wouldn't I be? I could name many reasons why I think we have climbed the higher mountain already. Detroit was Mt Everest. And the abominable snow monster was up there waiting and could not stop us. KC is not as good as Detroit in my book. Only their bullpen is better and ours is equally great. But our lineup is way better. The Angels lineup is better but for some reason they choked. And Hamilton's absence was a killer. Maybe Richards too. Buck can handle anything they muster up. Buck Showalter is the most deserving guy to get to the Series and win it. The Orioles history is pretty good in ALCS. What to do with Davis? I wonder when Buck will have his vote? That will be very interesting. I say the players vote him in.

Game 3 tonight between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Saint Louis Cardinals. The next two games are to be in Saint Louis at Busch Stadium. Whether anyone wants to believe this or not, the Saint Louis Cardinals have one of, if not, the Greatest Fanbase in the entire History of the Great Game of Baseball. For those who will watch this game later tonight, expect to see a lot of Red and see for yourself the Passion, Dedication and Excitement that the Saint Louis Cardinals and the City of Saint Louis brings to the National Spotlight.

I have and will always believe that the Saint Louis Cardinals are a team that is and seems destined to make it to the Playoffs, Championship and World Series year after year. Although I realize and know that this will not happen every year, I will always Love and Respect the MIGHTY SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS.

GO CARDINALS!!!

Game 3 tonight between the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Saint Louis Cardinals. The next two games are to be in Saint Louis at Busch Stadium. Whether anyone wants to believe this or not, the Saint Louis Cardinals have one of, if not, the Greatest Fanbase in the entire History of the Great Game of Baseball. For those who will watch this game later tonight, expect to see a lot of Red and see for yourself the Passion, Dedication and Excitement that the Saint Louis Cardinals and the City of Saint Louis brings to the National Spotlight.

I have and will always believe that the Saint Louis Cardinals are a team that is and seems destined to make it to the Playoffs, Championship and World Series year after year. Although I realize and know that this will not happen every year, I will always Love and Respect the MIGHTY SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS.

GO CARDINALS!!!

Well I like the Dodgers to beat them in this 3rd game. We will see. We are in and I must say I am pretty shocked to see KC awaiting rather than the Angels. I just can't imagine the Nationals going down in 3. I think they have to find a way to beat the Giants today

Ho hum. Halos blow it again...just another playoff pratfall by the Angels. Don't cry for me Argentina.

I fully expected this. For one year, in 2002, all the planets were in alignment and everything came together for the Angels to win their lone World Series championship. All of the other years, however, have been one failure after another. Some years were just bad for lack of talent. But others have seen some mighty bad collapses...especially during these post-2002 Scioscia years.

For the last month of the season the Angels started humming and ran away with the Division and MLB's best record. Total number of games Josh Hamilton played during the Angels rampage? One...yep, exactly one game was blessed with Hamilton's presence.

So why did Scioscia mess with chemistry and put Hamilton in the starting lineup as soon as the playoffs began? The Angels would have been better off with BRAD Hamilton in their lineup.

This series with the Royals was like "Groundhog Day"...it's the same old story with the Angels. Our offense disappears in the playoffs and our pitching cracks under the strain of trying to win 2-1 games.

There is nobody on the Angels who has significant playoff experience except for Pujols. And Pujols never really had great World Series with the Cardinals. It was always somebody else on the Cardinals that had the key hit, the game-winning home run. That's why St. Louis didn't bat an eye at letting Pujols leave...they knew he was becoming dead weight.

Now the Angels are stuck with six more expensive years of Dead Weight Pujols. Mike Trout had a dismal playoff...he's still young so the jury is still out on him. He could blossom into a clutch player with time. Or he could be another Vlad Guerrero...great in regular season, bust in playoffs.

Mike Scioscia should have been fired by the time I woke up to read the morning paper. But knowing Teflon Mike, Arte Moreno will probably give him a raise.

"Heckuva job, Brownie!" :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least there's football season. Oh wait...the Raiders suck. Ok, college football...no, USC sucks too. Ahhh, the Lakers season is just arou...err, never mind, they are useless too.

Thank goodness for HOCKEY SEASON!!!

Strider brings up a good point about Josh Hamilton and it's something I kind of touched on last night in regards to Chris Davis. Why should Buck Showalter mess with success and put Davis and his sub .200 batting average in the lineup and possibly mess with the well oiled machine that is the Baltimore Orioles right now.

Rick may disagree with me, but the O's might be better off without Davis. As for the ALCS itself, I think I like the O's in 5--but as I eluded to last night, if the O's do wrap this series up in a quick fashion, how will that screw them up as far as all the days off they would have before the World Series?

I bring it up again, but anyone remember the 2007 Rockies. Hottest team in the National League, ran through the first couple of rounds of the NL playoffs, then had I believe 8 or 9 days off before the Series and got waxed by Boston. Detroit Tigers--in their 2 trips to the series, a handful of days off before playing ball.

But first things first, the O's got the win the LCS...

The Angels would have been better off with BRAD Hamilton in their lineup.

I believe he is still around here @ zeppelin.com - they should've looked him up, under a different name now of course! ;)

Sorry for your teams, Strider. The LA Kings will make amends, I'm sure! :)

Strider brings up a good point about Josh Hamilton and it's something I kind of touched on last night in regards to Chris Davis. Why should Buck Showalter mess with success and put Davis and his sub .200 batting average in the lineup and possibly mess with the well oiled machine that is the Baltimore Orioles right now.

Rick may disagree with me, but the O's might be better off without Davis. As for the ALCS itself, I think I like the O's in 5--but as I eluded to last night, if the O's do wrap this series up in a quick fashion, how will that screw them up as far as all the days off they would have before the World Series?

I bring it up again, but anyone remember the 2007 Rockies. Hottest team in the National League, ran through the first couple of rounds of the NL playoffs, then had I believe 8 or 9 days off before the Series and got waxed by Boston. Detroit Tigers--in their 2 trips to the series, a handful of days off before playing ball.

But first things first, the O's got the win the LCS...

First of all, I never thought I would hear someone from LA say thank goodness for hockey season. I am in disagreement. Davis and Machado and even Matt Wieteres played part of the season for us. All are valuable team members. So you would rather have Flaherty at 3rd than Davis? No way. Davis can play defense far better than people know. He has had time to get away and meditate. I say he hits far higher than that 190 when he returns. The big question though is will be qualify for the ALCS. I think unlikely. If we go to game 6, which I dread because I have to fly out at 6 pm from Rochester to Newark NJ, likely a 40 minute in the air flight and maybe take a taxi to Hoboken NJ from the airport. My son in law has assured me he will have the game on as he is behind the Orioles for this run. I should make it there in time for the first inning. I do not want to miss the game that can send them to the Series. And no, I am not afraid of KC at all. I think they are happy and blessed to have gotten back to the post season for their fans, delighted to have upset the Angels who simply CHOKED IMO, and to me they have no shot against a far better Baltimore team. Go ahead and post all your reasons why they will beat us just like I have heard all year. They will not. Shields is the only top ranked pitcher they have that can possibly give them a chance to beat us. I can see the Orioles sweeping this thing. If they only win one, I can still board the plane as they would clinch the night before my flight. If it goes past 5, I will see it in Jersey. Or at a bar in Manhattan. If it goes 7 I will be drinking Manhattan's. Unlikely. But I bring Davis back for the Series. We do not need Lough. I know he can be a pinch runner but if there is room for Quinten Barry for that role, he has NEVER been thrown out yet in the major leagues trying to steal. Something like 26 for 26. Lough missed that diving catch that De Aza would have had. Buck wanted him to get a taste of the post season,. But why in a nail biter against a team you cannot give any life to? We escaped this time. But Buck rolled the dice. He can be a riverboat gambler vs KC. But likely not against the NL team that gets to the series. I believe that will be either the Dodgers or Giants. I am not totally ruling out the Nats or Cards.

Davis can be a huge threat. He can play defense. Would you rather have Flaherty in there? Please.

Now if Manny Machado were there, things would be different. This team is loaded. I am just terrified to think of how many of them will be in pinstripes.

Still don't get why so many of the "experts" are looking at the Giants as an "upset" when they put the Nats out of their misery--which should be today. The real upset would be if the Cards knock off the Dodgers--although that result wouldn't shock me either. Whatever happens, I think the nation as a whole should put to bed this idea that Kershaw is the second coming of Koufax. Enough of that shit, I say...

Still don't get why so many of the "experts" are looking at the Giants as an "upset" when they put the Nats out of their misery--which should be today. The real upset would be if the Cards knock off the Dodgers--although that result wouldn't shock me either. Whatever happens, I think the nation as a whole should put to bed this idea that Kershaw is the second coming of Koufax. Enough of that shit, I say...

Mattingly pretty much put that to bed. I doubt Koufax went the distance in every start. That numb skull Mattingly fucked him and me in that game

Archived