DEEP THINKING ABOUT

geekfreak

I guess I'm sort of a loser because I have never heard the term "Black Rock", to me Living Colour or Jimi Hendrix or Chuck Berry is just rock, really great rock music at that, but I'm not really sure I understand the term "Black Rock".

You're not a loser, Charles. Classic Rock magazine are the losers for coining that idiotic term. What's next...White Rock?

I guess I'm sort of a loser because I have never heard the term "Black Rock", to me Living Colour or Jimi Hendrix or Chuck Berry is just rock, really great rock music at that, but I'm not really sure I understand the term "Black Rock".

Black rock is possibly coal.

I`m feeling like the loser, as its me whom is the person whom wrote the piece on the topic, so to all of you whom feel like you are angry about this I`m truly sorry even when the magazine wrote its piece first...

I`m feeling like the loser, as its me whom is the person whom wrote the piece on the topic, so to all of you whom feel like you are angry about this I`m truly sorry even when the magazine wrote its piece first...

Not mad at all, it was just a figure of speech, my kids call me a loser all of the time because 'Dad you are so out of touch', so I just figured it was one more thing I didn't understand or know about

Not mad at all, it was just a figure of speech, my kids call me a loser all of the time because 'Dad you are so out of touch', so I just figured it was one more thing I didn't understand or know about

I don't think you're a loser, so your kids must be out of touch! A common problem with the youth and their elders and elders with the youth. It's so silly, we're all out of touch with one another actually......

the doctors office went well, back in ten days for the results... the only thing was 12hours on food/drinks. oh well went to Hayling island on 26/7/14 what a great day sun was shining sitting watching the waves at low tide, then me and mrs gf walking along the sand bar this is the place where Paul Rogers wrote seagull for the debut bad company album, we also had a wonderful meal, I`d also taken the cd player so that was we where sitting on the deckchairs mrs gf reading girly novel I was listening to Lenny K album "black and white America" cool sounds and sights where breath taking, again only downside traffic on way home LOL... oh ooh today I`ll be fix the garden gate, then its movie time as there stacking up on the sky+ box d`wife is saying LOL, but nowing me as it gets to midday the call of a local carboot sale may kick in as this one as a vinyl sellers part, its about four sellers so it could be vinyl calling last time I`d picked up 19 vinyl`s cool ££££££ too!. still looking for better black Sabbath vinyl`s than my own fingers crossed maybe today 27/07 yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! then after bootsale I could watch sky+ box it would be the sic-fi movie " rise of planet of the apes" followed by "Ray " ... sounds great to me... then some opera before bedtime ooh yes...

After careful thinking I've decided that life is SHIT.I'm sitting here listening to Loudon WainwrightIII,and thinking who gives a toss?

Life is what you make of it Plantpothead. Happiness gives way to grief, the grief gives way back to happiness again. But life is always beautiful....if you choose to see it. :)

Geek freak, do you listen to much opera? Which Wagnerian operas do you prefer?

Well Pagefan55, if you're going to listen to the Wagner operas, you have better have heaps and heaps of time. It takes 16 hours to listen to the complete Ring Cycle alone.

When it comes to Wagner, some people think the best way is to approach it slowly, timidly...start with the shorter, stand-alone operas ("The Flying Dutchman", "Parsifal") before tackling the Mount Everest that is DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN, the four opera Ring Cycle. But I say it's best to dive right in...no point in being timid when you're dealing with the boldness of Wagner.

Besides, the Ring tetralogy is grounded in Norse mythology...there are dwarves, Rhine Maidens, Gods and Giants, and a gold ring with magical powers. If you like Led Zeppelin and The Lord of the Rings, there is a good chance you'll be inclined to like the subject matter of the The Ring of the Nibelungen. Some of Wagner's Ring has even transcended the opera world and passed into pop culture. Even without realizing it, many people have heard "The Ride of the Valkyries" and "Siegfried's Idyll".

The complete Ring comprises of these four operas in order:

1. Das Rheingold

2. Die Walküre

3. Siegried

4. Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods)

Each opera is around 4 hours, depending on the production and conductor. There are many recordings to choose from, but for my money, the best introduction is still George Solti's 1960s Ring with the Vienna Philharmonic, which featured many of the great Wagnerian singers of the 20th Century: Birgit Nilsson, Kirsten Flagstad, Gustav Niedlinger, even a young Joan Sutherland. It's on the Decca label and you can find it for a pretty reasonable price.

After that, you can explore other conductors interpretations of The Ring of the Nibelungen...Pierre Boulez, Karl Böhm, Daniel Barenboim, William Furtwangler, and of course, the great Herbert von Karajan's '67-'70 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic.

After you complete the Ring Cycle, Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" should be next on your list...devastatingly haunting. I'm also partial to "The Flying Dutchman". Other Wagner operas of note that you can explore at your leisure are "Tannhauser", "Die Meistersinger von of Nürnberg", and "Parsifal".

I see you also asked about other operas. I have to go to work now so a full answer will have to wait, but any short list of favourite operas would have to include Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro", "Don Giovanni", and "The Magic Flute". Also essential are three of Maria Callas' greatest performances in Bellini's "Norma", Puccini's "Tosca", and Bizet's "Carmen". I would also add in three other great Puccini operas: "Madame Butterfly" and "La Bohème", and "Turandot".

Nor can any opera list be complete without the Italian legend Verdi, my favourites being "La Traviata", "Macbeth", "Rigoletto", and "Aida".

Lastly, for purely catchy tunes and music, it's hard to beat Rossini's "The Barber of Seville", a sort of prequel to Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro".

yes its a long time, but its 16hrs well spent the other Wagner Operas are well worth the time to sit and listen too. yes most of the operas above are within my collection, I`d have to state also as above Rossini`s " barber of Seville" is catchy tunes and music. Operas are personnel to each person as a composer which to them is the great operas, its like the ballet music my three fav`s are " nutcracker, firebird and black swan" there possible are better ones but ah there mine... there are never enough hours in the day to listen to great music in any form or style... I`m listening to Lenny Kravitz albums mostly today not in correct running order: baptism, mama said, let love rule ,circus , black and white America. added living colour vivid spin doctors pocket full of krypotonite its 12.10am I`m soon heading to sleep wishing I`ve time for more music listening time yes I do... I`m feeling like a bit of seasick steve the album doghouse blues... this is reminding me of the teenage yrs of felling a sleep with my headphones on and mother or father taking them off and switching of hi-fi that was cool times... ah hmm ooh I`m a jazz music fan too! that's another form of music you like or don`t, I`m in the love it camp myself... I`ve often through if a doctor look through my musical collection he`d lock me up and throw away the key, stating GF is raving mad man... but its just my own mix of music pleasing myself... well it is the start of another working week bollocks, working for the bossman sometimes driving me wild with won`t more off time, but than no ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ to enjoy all my fav`s books, music, concerts, meals and more... roll along being 67yrs old no more working for any one LOL...

Well Pagefan55, if you're going to listen to the Wagner operas, you have better have heaps and heaps of time. It takes 16 hours to listen to the complete Ring Cycle alone.

When it comes to Wagner, some people think the best way is to approach it slowly, timidly...start with the shorter, stand-alone operas ("The Flying Dutchman", "Parsifal") before tackling the Mount Everest that is DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN, the four opera Ring Cycle. But I say it's best to dive right in...no point in being timid when you're dealing with the boldness of Wagner.

Besides, the Ring tetralogy is grounded in Norse mythology...there are dwarves, Rhine Maidens, Gods and Giants, and a gold ring with magical powers. If you like Led Zeppelin and The Lord of the Rings, there is a good chance you'll be inclined to like the subject matter of the The Ring of the Nibelungen. Some of Wagner's Ring has even transcended the opera world and passed into pop culture. Even without realizing it, many people have heard "The Ride of the Valkyries" and "Siegfried's Idyll".

The complete Ring comprises of these four operas in order:

1. Das Rheingold

2. Die Walküre

3. Siegried

4. Götterdämmerung (Twilight of the Gods)

Each opera is around 4 hours, depending on the production and conductor. There are many recordings to choose from, but for my money, the best introduction is still George Solti's 1960s Ring with the Vienna Philharmonic, which featured many of the great Wagnerian singers of the 20th Century: Birgit Nilsson, Kirsten Flagstad, Gustav Niedlinger, even a young Joan Sutherland. It's on the Decca label and you can find it for a pretty reasonable price.

After that, you can explore other conductors interpretations of The Ring of the Nibelungen...Pierre Boulez, Karl Böhm, Daniel Barenboim, William Furtwangler, and of course, the great Herbert von Karajan's '67-'70 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic.

After you complete the Ring Cycle, Wagner's "Tristan und Isolde" should be next on your list...devastatingly haunting. I'm also partial to "The Flying Dutchman". Other Wagner operas of note that you can explore at your leisure are "Tannhauser", "Die Meistersinger von of Nürnberg", and "Parsifal".

I see you also asked about other operas. I have to go to work now so a full answer will have to wait, but any short list of favourite operas would have to include Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro", "Don Giovanni", and "The Magic Flute". Also essential are three of Maria Callas' greatest performances in Bellini's "Norma", Puccini's "Tosca", and Bizet's "Carmen". I would also add in three other great Puccini operas: "Madame Butterfly" and "La Bohème", and "Turandot".

Nor can any opera list be complete without the Italian legend Verdi, my favourites being "La Traviata", "Macbeth", "Rigoletto", and "Aida".

Lastly, for purely catchy tunes and music, it's hard to beat Rossini's "The Barber of Seville", a sort of prequel to Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro".

As usual, an excellent description and analysis, Strider. I've visited Bayreuth and am a passionate admirer of Tannhauser and Lohengrin. (btw, I once heard The Flying Dutchman in the famous Sydney Opera house) Edited by Pagefan55

yes its a long time, but its 16hrs well spent the other Wagner Operas are well worth the time to sit and listen too. yes most of the operas above are within my collection, I`d have to state also as above Rossini`s " barber of Seville" is catchy tunes and music. Operas are personnel to each person as a composer which to them is the great operas, its like the ballet music my three fav`s are " nutcracker, firebird and black swan" there possible are better ones but ah there mine... there are never enough hours in the day to listen to great music in any form or style... I`m listening to Lenny Kravitz albums mostly today not in correct running order: baptism, mama said, let love rule ,circus , black and white America. added living colour vivid spin doctors pocket full of krypotonite its 12.10am I`m soon heading to sleep wishing I`ve time for more music listening time yes I do... I`m feeling like a bit of seasick steve the album doghouse blues... this is reminding me of the teenage yrs of felling a sleep with my headphones on and mother or father taking them off and switching of hi-fi that was cool times... ah hmm ooh I`m a jazz music fan too! that's another form of music you like or don`t, I`m in the love it camp myself... I`ve often through if a doctor look through my musical collection he`d lock me up and throw away the key, stating GF is raving mad man... but its just my own mix of music pleasing myself... well it is the start of another working week bollocks, working for the bossman sometimes driving me wild with won`t more off time, but than no ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ to enjoy all my fav`s books, music, concerts, meals and more... roll along being 67yrs old no more working for any one LOL...

Geekfreak, it sounds like you have good taste in opera and ballet.

right ooh there are many ways to fill the mind with questions of the frantic, frequent, frustrate of fulfilment of pure gain of discovering a natural high of reaching your goal.... the journeyman of the highway of lifetimes of standing with all of joyous or depressed, joyriding life`s tide of all over life`s troubles both of joy or sadness... with the music of the classical masters which are the best form of self pure high joyous point in the time of playing the piece of classical music... where, when, whenever will there be a time of never finding the inner space of inner peace I`ve craved for most of my life will there is no downsides in life`s ...

right ooh there are many ways to fill the mind with questions of the frantic, frequent, frustrate of fulfilment of pure gain of discovering a natural high of reaching your goal.... the journeyman of the highway of lifetimes of standing with all of joyous or depressed, joyriding life`s tide of all over life`s troubles both of joy or sadness... with the music of the classical masters which are the best form of self pure high joyous point in the time of playing the piece of classical music... where, when, whenever will there be a time of never finding the inner space of inner peace I`ve craved for most of my life will there is no downsides in life`s ...

Which classical masters do you enjoy the most geekfreak?

You will find inner peace soon geekfreak I just know it. :D

lets see if we are all on the same page with the trouble within war torn country`s , whom suffer the most the children or ?... where will there be any of life`s more than downsides where you only hear the downside of life, crimes, war, police state act, pompous politician and crimes against children... right its as I said joyriding life`s tide... as for the classic masters Mozart, Bach, Hayden, Wagner, Rossini, Elgar to name a few... there is other bands I`m into you may like to check out: Earthless and Blues Pills the last one as its debut album out now, they have two other releases two ep`s one live ep... the studio ep as four tracks Devil Man is the title track, the sound is `60`s floydish , little harder edge some would say doom sounding, hmm Sabbath will spring to mind, check them out on youtube.com ... if you do let me now what you think... oh the vocalist is a woman vocals sort of Janis Joplin... Earthless are a bluesy, jamband, powertrio, psychedelic also on youtube.com.... the music is smoking red hot bluesy music...

lets see if we are all on the same page with the trouble within war torn country`s , whom suffer the most the children or ?... where will there be any of life`s more than downsides where you only hear the downside of life, crimes, war, police state act, pompous politician and crimes against children... right its as I said joyriding life`s tide...

This is going to sound incredibly selfish to some people, but I really don't believe you can ask some blue collar guy pumping gas for living in Kapuskasing to pay taxes only to have that money go towards war mongering, or attempting to make peace in some far away land. The best way to reduce or stop governments from sticking their noses where it doesn't belong is to rob governments of the ability to do so i.e. reduce taxes to the point that they can't fund these giant make work projects and nation building projects all over the bloody earth! I much rather have my monies go towards the local police department or fire department or paving a road here and there at least at that point you are getting something of value. The more you let government keep the amount of taxes they keep, the more you are going to get bent over and shafted by the giant rod I call government fuck ups.

Thanks for the music recommendations by the way!

lets see if we are all on the same page with the trouble within war torn country`s , whom suffer the most the children or ?... where will there be any of life`s more than downsides where you only hear the downside of life, crimes, war, police state act, pompous politician and crimes against children... right its as I said joyriding life`s tide... as for the classic masters Mozart, Bach, Hayden, Wagner, Rossini, Elgar to name a few... there is other bands I`m into you may like to check out: Earthless and Blues Pills the last one as its debut album out now, they have two other releases two ep`s one live ep... the studio ep as four tracks Devil Man is the title track, the sound is `60`s floydish , little harder edge some would say doom sounding, hmm Sabbath will spring to mind, check them out on youtube.com ... if you do let me now what you think... oh the vocalist is a woman vocals sort of Janis Joplin... Earthless are a bluesy, jamband, powertrio, psychedelic also on youtube.com.... the music is smoking red hot bluesy music...

I feel the same way geekfreak. I think I've said it before, we are raised to learn from history and know not to make the same inhumane mistakes, yet we make them again and again. Who gains from war other than those who perpetrate it? Are people stupid, evil or just 'pawns in chess'? There is so much evil occurring right now in the world. The images of the murdered children of war is too much to take. It's times like this I feel so hopeless for humanity. Why are people silent? Speak up people, you are the power!

Thank you for the recommendations geek freak! :friends::kiss:

This is going to sound incredibly selfish to some people, but I really don't believe you can ask some blue collar guy pumping gas for living in Kapuskasing to pay taxes only to have that money go towards war mongering, or attempting to make peace in some far away land. The best way to reduce or stop governments from sticking their noses where it doesn't belong is to rob governments of the ability to do so i.e. reduce taxes to the point that they can't fund these giant make work projects and nation building projects all over the bloody earth! I much rather have my monies go towards the local police department or fire department or paving a road here and there at least at that point you are getting something of value. The more you let government keep the amount of taxes they keep, the more you are going to get bent over and shafted by the giant rod I call government fuck ups.

Thanks for the music recommendations by the way!

This guy.

tumblr_lljyow0c0l1qg81iwo1_500.jpg

The war mongering we see today is a direct result of the world's economic problems. Countries are invading, or saving however you prefer look at it, as a last ditch effort to save their own economies and currency. They are taking very extreme measures in doing so. It's analogous to a man who is broke and is on the verge of bankruptcy, so he takes his last chunk of change to Las Vegas in hopes of saving himself from financial ruin. IMO. :)