ELO

Charles J. White

A band somewhat taken for granted back in its own time...the 1970s were so overstuffed with great bands, ELO got lost in the shuffle...but as time has passed, their music has held up for the most part and people have recognized what a unique sound they had. As a fan of The Move, I've always had a soft spot for The Electric Light Orchestra.

A tad too trebly in the production and slavishly aping the Beatles at times, but certain albums such as "El Dorado" , "Face the Music", and "Out of the Blue" are stellar pieces of orchestral pop.

Their peak years were from roughly 1974-1978...all the albums released during this period are choice and this was their live peak, too. Once the string section left/was fired and Jeff Lyne went "disco", the jig was up and ELO slumped into the Eighties.

I really like ELO. Saw them in concert in 75 when they opened for Deep Purple. I was really impressed by their music. Jeff Lynn is a musical genius.

I think you and I were at the same show, Ledzepfvr. Was it at the Long Beach Arena? Do you remember Ronnie James Dio's band Elf opening? It was my first time seeing ELO and Ronnie James Dio...quite a night, and Deep Purple was relatively anti-climactic.

It wasn't 1975 though...it was November 1974, around Thanksgiving. I remember because shortly after was USC's epic comeback victory over Notre Dame, when Anthony Davis ran back the second-half kickoff for a TD and opened the floodgates.

Yes it was at the Arena. And you're right. Time frames are a little fuzzy to me back then. It was the second time I've seen Deep Purple as I saw them at my first concert at the CA Jam earlier that year. I spent most of my time on my ex's shoulders a few rows back center stage. Maybe you saw me. :)

Yes it was at the Arena. And you're right. Time frames are a little fuzzy to me back then. It was the second time I've seen Deep Purple as I saw them at my first concert at the CA Jam earlier that year. I spent most of my time on my ex's shoulders a few rows back center stage. Maybe you saw me. :)

Girl with long red hair? That was you blocking my view? ;):P

So we were both at Cal Jam that year, too? That day almost made me swear off outdoor festival concerts forever. So freaking hot.

Like badgeholder, I have a feeling you were at a lot of the same concerts I was in the 70s. Did you go to Rory Gallagher/Kiss at Long Beach in February '74? Blood, Sweat & Tears/Bruce Springsteen? Black Sabbath/Gentle Giant at the Hollywood Bowl in '73? I could go on and on haha.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

From out of the blue, I received a 7 rare DVD set of E.L.O. today, including a Total Rock Review DVD with a bonus show. After perusing a few discs, this looks and sounds enjoyable. I hope to check it out tomorrow. Anonymous name. I love pleasant surprises. ;)

Girl with long red hair? That was you blocking my view? ;):P

So we were both at Cal Jam that year, too? That day almost made me swear off outdoor festival concerts forever. So freaking hot.

Like badgeholder, I have a feeling you were at a lot of the same concerts I was in the 70s. Did you go to Rory Gallagher/Kiss at Long Beach in February '74? Blood, Sweat & Tears/Bruce Springsteen? Black Sabbath/Gentle Giant at the Hollywood Bowl in '73? I could go on and on haha.

Ok, I'am gonna cry now. I always said I was born a good 20 years too late. You and others here who were old enough to enjoy the 70's concert experience are very lucky indeed, such a rich decade for music! I was lucky enough to see Zeppelin in 1977 at the Chicago Stadium, and then Kiss in 79', but those two are the totality of my 70's concert experience. I understand I have most likely idealized the 70's as I am sure most 40 year olds in the 70's probably thought the 40's were the golden years and the 70's was shite but hey, it's what I have and for me those days, that decade, was the best!

Thank you Strider and others here who have shared your stories of this amazing decade...I may not have attended those shows you describe in such vivid detail, but you make me feel as if I have on an almost transcendent level. Third row center of course.

Always loved them. Always enjoyed their music. They brought something different to rock music in the 1970's. Jeff Lynne was a very creative and fun music maker. I have several of their albums. I always recommend them to people. ELO are overlooked, but certainly NOT by me.

Archived