What (Non-Led Zeppelin) Live Show or Song Are You Listening To At This Moment?

On 3/19/2021 at 11:37 AM, BobDobbs said:

I know I am gonna get seriously flamed for this but here goes. Always liked Deep Purple but only a few of their songs, most of the rest are just forgettable IMO. Never had or even listened to Made in Japan so I decided to buy it as this album is constantly talked about as one of the best live albums out there. Well, I was rather disappointed. So yes, a few songs were good but the majority were just meh and I thought the performance as a whole was just lacking something I cannot put my fingers on. The performance itself was a good one but it was still missing something. The other issue I had with the album was Ian Gillan. The guy can sing without a doubt but his ad libs and screams are just annoying.

So that's my take. For me an example of a great live album is J. Giles Band Blow Your Face Out, or The Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore. I will not mention any Zep live albums as I am just too biased and think all their official live releases blow everyone else away but my view is less than objective.

Always thought Uriah Heep was a better band overall than Deep Purple. Those two were very similar overall in approach and direction.

I actually agree that Made in Japan is somewhat overrated, there are many other performances in their live library that are superior (esp. from the Coverdale era).  Most of the songs on Made in Japan were done better on In Concert (also from 1972), and in truth there were actually better performances from that Japan tour that should have made the original release.  (They eventually released all three shows, if only Page would do the same for MSG or Earl's Court.)

But re. Uriah Heep, come on, you can't be serious here.

On 3/19/2021 at 5:37 PM, BobDobbs said:

I know I am gonna get seriously flamed for this but here goes. Always liked Deep Purple but only a few of their songs, most of the rest are just forgettable IMO. Never had or even listened to Made in Japan so I decided to buy it as this album is constantly talked about as one of the best live albums out there. Well, I was rather disappointed. So yes, a few songs were good but the majority were just meh and I thought the performance as a whole was just lacking something I cannot put my fingers on. The performance itself was a good one but it was still missing something. The other issue I had with the album was Ian Gillan. The guy can sing without a doubt but his ad libs and screams are just annoying.

So that's my take. For me an example of a great live album is J. Giles Band Blow Your Face Out, or The Allman Bros. Live at the Filmore. I will not mention any Zep live albums as I am just too biased and think all their official live releases blow everyone else away but my view is less than objective.

Always thought Uriah Heep was a better band overall than Deep Purple. Those two were very similar overall in approach and direction.

tenor Don Camillo 2.gif

nKKvx7Don Camillo1.gif

DiligentSmallFanworms-max-1mbDon Camillo 3.gif

On 3/21/2021 at 5:31 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

I actually agree that Made in Japan is somewhat overrated, there are many other performances in their live library that are superior (esp. from the Coverdale era).  Most of the songs on Made in Japan were done better on In Concert (also from 1972), and in truth there were actually better performances from that Japan tour that should have made the original release.  (They eventually released all three shows, if only Page would do the same for MSG or Earl's Court.)

But re. Uriah Heep, come on, you can't be serious here.

Serious as a QAnon supporter with a pizza and a conspiracy theory!

IMO there were a few bands in the late 60's through the 70's which tried to blend the prog rock approach of King Crimson and Yes but more accessible to the masses. Deep Purple & Uriah Heep both fall into this category but the difference is Deep Purple never got beyond the pretentiousness of the Prog side (with Blackmore in the band) whereas Uriah Heep did. IMO Uriah Heep's music is more accessible and the band just grooves much better than DP which live comes off as a competition between Jon Lord & Ritchie Blackmore. Both Rush and Judas Priest also fall into this hybrid category and both were also more successful insofar as accessibility.

Just to be clear, the guys in Deep Purple are all class A musicians at the top of their game, you get no argument from me there but collectively their music was just not as appealing to me melodically or rhythmically as Uriah Heep's music was.

Edited by BobDobbs

23 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Serious as a QAnon supporter with a pizza and a conspiracy theory!

IMO there were a few bands in the late 60's through the 70's which tried to blend the prog rock approach of King Crimson and Yes but more accessible to the masses. Deep Purple & Uriah Heep both fall into this category but the difference is Deep Purple never got beyond the pretentiousness of the Prog side (with Blackmore in the band) whereas Uriah Heep did. IMO Uriah Heep's music is more accessible and the band just grooves much better than DP which live comes off as a competition between Jon Lord & Ritchie Blackmore. Both Rush and Judas Priest also fall into this hybrid category and both were also more successful insofar as accessibility.

Just to be clear, the guys in Deep Purple are all class A musicians at the top of their game, you get no argument from me there but collectively their music was just not as appealing to me melodically or rhythmically as Uriah Heep's music was.

Fair enough.

Etta James @ 1975 Montreux Jazz Festival. John Paul Jones is playing bass. You can't see him. But you can hear him. And check out that blond kid on guitar. He barely looks old enough to be out of high school.

There is another current thread about favorite concertsso I was looking back through my list of concerts attended.  That lead me to looking up some setlists online at setlist.fm.  I looked up Santana July 8 , 1981 on the Pier in NYC.  The setlist said they had encores of Whole Lotta Love and How Many More Times.  I did not recall thatSo I went to sugarmegs to look for the show, and there it was. (My collection of Santana shows focuses mainly on 1968-72).  I listened to the show and there at the end was a brief instrumental bit of WLL followed by HMMT.  That was followed by an instrumental bit of Not Fade Away, which was not listed on setlist.fm.

Then I thought I would look up Black Sabbath Dec 6, 1976 at MSG.  That show was a blur to me.  Nugent opened.  I found the show on YouTube.  Turns out Zappa introduced Sabbath as a "teenage combo".  The band opened with Symptom of the Universe.  At that time I had never heard that song.  I had the first 3 albums and the new one, Technical Ecstasy.  Well I can tell you that Symptom of the Universe blew us completely out of the water.  This is not a great recording but it sure brings back memories.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:59 PM, paul carruthers said:

This leaves me cold. Nearest fans are a mile away…you couldn't even look in the eyes of the people in the front row from the stage. Big stadium shows like this are so antiseptic. 

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Or....

Now this is more like it…total rock 'n' roll.