The issues of language studies...

Freeyyaa

Wellcome to Terra Linguarum--the world of languages. What is your mother tongue? Have you ever tried to study any foreign language? Who has ever read books about language studies?

Who has done it--this reconstruction of protoindoeuropean pronuciation?

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. My mother language is English and I'm currently reading a book on the history of the language which explores its protoindoeuropean roots.

Eventually, I hope to broaden my limited foreign language education to include more German, French, Italian, Spanish and eventually Arabic.

I also know how to say F*** Off in English, French, German and Swedish..When I worked behind the bar in Cornwall a lot of foreign visitors came into the pub.....Unfortunately that was the first thing my friend used to ask them. I don't know why but he was a sweaty sock, so that may explain it.

I can speak Northern English, not this southern English crap the Radio 4 people speak. They say "buck" when the mean book or "fesh" when they mean fish. I can speak a little Spanish but I do try and learn to be polite which ever country I am visiting by knowing the basics

I can speak Northern English, not this southern English crap the Radio 4 people speak. They say "buck" when the mean book or "fesh" when they mean fish. I can speak a little Spanish but I do try and learn to be polite which ever country I am visiting by knowing the basics

There is term for it? Is it Yorkshire or is that something different? I speak 3 languages, and can understand 5 languages - the ones I understand are Spanish and Italian

Mother tongue: French, I am fluent in English and very fluent in Italian, I also speak German and a bit of Spanish. My favourite would be Italian because I like the fact that it is so close to Latin and it enabled me to understand many French words. I am also very interested in etymology, I believe many problems stem from the fact that people don't know the real meaning of the words they are using.

My native language is Finnish. I can speak English and Swedish, I also studied Russian and Spanish but don't really remember much about them.

Hi Marlam. How's it going? I'm impressed with those on this thread that do not have English as a native tongue. You, goldenguitar, Freeyyaa. All of you speak it very well. You even speak English better than some Americans :P

In Europe, do they make you take a second language. If so, is it by choice that you have taken English? An old friend of mine recently went to Moscow for a business trip. He does not speak a word of Russian, yet they spoke English to him. In Europe, do most countries know English?

Hi Marlam. How's it going? I'm impressed with those on this thread that do not have English as a native tongue. You, goldenguitar, Freeyyaa. All of you speak it very well. You even speak English better than some Americans :P

In Europe, do they make you take a second language. If so, is it by choice that you have taken English? An old friend of mine recently went to Moscow for a business trip. He does not speak a word of Russian, yet they spoke English to him. In Europe, do most countries know English?

Thank you, just enjoying the weekend and summer.

In Finland you have to study a foreign language since the third grade (9 years old). For most people it's English but you can choose some other language if you want to.

Since 7th grade we also have to study Swedish, which is the second official language in Finland.

I think most Europeans speak English pretty well, although my experience is limited.

Is Swedish still one of Finland's official languages?

I also studied...Latin and still remember it. May be I should refresh the language.

It is. There are regions in Finland where Swedish speakers are a majority.

Also Sami is recognized as official language in couple of municipalities in Lapland.

• 6 months later...

My native language is American English.  At various times I have studied French, Russian, German and Japanese.  I didn't achieve fluency in any of them but I have "tourist" French and Russian.  By "tourist" I mean I can exchange greetings, inquire about another person's health, ask for directions, order a meal in a restaurant and shop.:)

Archived