Slade

Blocoboy

As most LZ fans are aware the group has a long history with Slade.

This FB page just needs liking and/or sharing.

Its purpose is just to gauge what,if any ,support their is for the project.

If you can spare a few seconds please have a look at this.

https://www.facebook.com/sladefilm

GREAT band. that wrote a BUNCH of fun songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68db9iial_U

Saw them at the Capitol Theater on Passaic NJ in '73 (I think). GREAT show!!! Weent with a bunch of James Taylor fans. I was sweating and dancing.... they were not. Big Warhol soup cans and platform heels.... good times.

There were clear lines drawn back in the early seventies Slade fans did not like Led Zeppelin and Zeppelin fans most definitely did not like Slade. Slade were for what were known as teenyboppers. Besides the dress style of Slade and their fans was laughable. Don't get me wrong I quite like some of their tunes but at the time I would never have admitted it or bought their releases, the consequences would have been unthinkable.

One of the most underrated British bands of all time.

The songwriting partnership of Lea and Holder should be up there with

Lennon and McCartney. They were never cool glam like Bolan or Bowie

Their story is overdue a documentary hope it happens

There were clear lines drawn back in the early seventies Slade fans did not like Led Zeppelin and Zeppelin fans most definitely did not like Slade. Slade were for what were known as teenyboppers. Besides the dress style of Slade and their fans was laughable. Don't get me wrong I quite like some of their tunes but at the time I would never have admitted it or bought their releases, the consequences would have been unthinkable.

Indeed my west coast mate. Slade were right up there with The Sweet in their glammy ways in the early 70's. Funny, Slade attracted a "skinhead" following for what ever reason. That was until they re-invented themselves at Reading festival in 1980 or whenever it was, when the blew everyone off the stage. Noddy lives pretty close to me as it happens. I think he still "Gets down and gets with it".

Indeed my west coast mate. Slade were right up there with The Sweet in their glammy ways in the early 70's. Funny, Slade attracted a "skinhead" following for what ever reason. That was until they re-invented themselves at Reading festival in 1980 or whenever it was, when the blew everyone off the stage. Noddy lives pretty close to me as it happens. I think he still "Gets down and gets with it".

I remember the Reading thing very well indeed, I was completely baffled at the response they got. Don't tell my mates though but when they hit the stage I hit the record button, wonderful Radio 1......

I remember the Reading thing very well indeed, I was completely baffled at the response they got. Don't tell my mates though but when they hit the stage I hit the record button, wonderful Radio 1......

Ha same here man !! I think I got it from Tommy Vance's show. Slade went on to do many Festivals after that - usually with The NWOBHM movement. None I went to though. Most of the festivals I went to were free and I can barely remember them, except for Deeply Vale which got moved to some moorland outside Bolton. I was that Paranoid of dibble that i could only have a few Chillums before I took a decidedly bad turn ! Oh happy days indeed !

Slade Alive was the first album I bought with my own money(Saturday Evening paper round).I thought it was thumper and far removed from the Frank Sinatra,the Seekers,Being Crosby and jazz that was played in my house.After I played it on the family stereo my grandfather apparently went round to the doctor feeling ill.I was about eleven years old.Then I grew up and bought Deep Purple Made in Japan then maybe Zep3.Slade had some great songs and Noddy had an absolute belter foghorn voice that could strip paint.I still whip out a Slade cd for when I am in a drunken party mode.Better than AC/DC for those moods.Fave song,My Oh My.

Not really a fan of Slade. Oh, I liked a few of their songs I heard on the radio growing up but never enough to go out and buy any of their albums. I only bought a cd best of compilation just so I had some Slade in my music collection.

For me, Slade's problem was that they came out in a period of riches for great bands and they didn't measure up to the best. The Faces, Alice Cooper Band, David Bowie, Mott the Hoople, Roxy Music, Queen, Sweet, Aerosmith, AC/DC...all those bands were kicking ass in the glam 70s from 1972-75. Not to mention the reigning Knights of the Round Table of British Rock: Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, The Who, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple.

Against all that competition, Slade were poor cousins...destined to be perennial openers. They were always opening for somebody...I never saw them headline. If they came out today in rock's weakened state, they would stand out better. But back then, they kind of got lost in the shuffle.

By the 80s, I lost track of them and was always surprised when I would hear they were still around. Oh well...at least they were better than Status Quo.

Quiet Riot owes their existence to Slade.

John had some nice ones, but they aren't as wild as Trevor's. It was especially crazy when Trevor would dye his mutton chops a different shade than his hair.

Trevor Bolder was the king.

Yes you are right, I just thought I'd post the PIC John being a bit of a local hero. I saw him in Tesco supermarket recently and those chops are long gone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...