2016 NFL Thread

Walter

On pins and needles for tonight's Raiders game. Denver Broncos come to Oakland for a rare network prime-time game in Oakland.

Tonight is when we find out if the Raiders are for real.

At 6-2, not since the Super Bowl season of 2002 have the Raiders been this high above .500 this late in the season. Hell, just getting to six wins for a season has been a struggle the last 14 years.

But playing the Broncos is a step up in class that I'm not sure the Raiders are ready for. Oakland has feasted on shoddy teams this year. Worryingly, their two losses came at home against Atlanta and Kansas City...two teams no one would ever confuse with Super Bowl champion Denver.

More reason for me to fret...stud receiver Amari Cooper is injured and questionable or doubtful for tonight's game. Going against the Broncos' tough D at anything less than full-strength does not bode well for the Raiders.

Oakland head coach Jack Del Rio and his coaching staff are going to have to call the game of their lives to have a chance to win.

One thing this game matching two teams at 6-2 does is remind me of the glorious past AFC West division battles between these two teams. Marcus Allen had some of his most memorable games versus the Broncos...including a brilliant reverse-the-field touchdown run similar to the TD run he had in Super Bowl XVIII against the Redskins.

LET'S GO SILVER & BLACK ATTACK! GO RAIDERS!

18 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

I'm still in shock over the Lion's victory.  Prater's going to make one from 70 yards one of these days.  Great job guys...you made my Sunday !  That's one loss in the pool I'll gladly take.  :)

Maybe this is the year!!!!  I hope so.  And I hope the Bills pull the upset tonight.  That would put them in the drivers seat for a Wild Card.  When we get healthy after this bye week, we are going to run the damn table.  The schedule is very favorable and its something we can do.  Harvin is Back and Percy may suit up tonight.  The day Watkins returns should be close and that will make us a far better team.  We need him and McCoy.  If we get those two guys with Harvin, we can beat anyone.    I m also expecting the Rams to get a win at the Jets this week.  They have been competitive but are at least a year away from winning these games they are losing by 3.  Back to the Lions, Matt Stafford is the best QB in that division now and one of the best in the NFL.  They seem to have a defense.  I will have to see who they play in the annual Thanksgiving day game.  It will be no sleeper.  It will be an important game.  The loss of Peterson is catching up to Minnesota.  They have a huge game at Washington coming up.  Green Bay is toast.   "A shocking loss to the Colts at home.   Not that the Colts are that bad, but they are not that good on defense and Green Bay made them look like the 1968 Mighty Baltimore Colts with the Mad Stork Hendricks and Bubba Smith.  

20 hours ago, redrum said:

Effin' Seahawks. Can you say ROUGHING THE KICKER, you jackass refs and Sherman doing his best mad dog stare at Buffalo's coach. They're the most arrogant fucking team in the league.

Cost us a big win.  I still say we will run this fucking table now and get a wild card. We can do it.  Tyrod is the real deal and so is McCoy.  Watkins could be back after the bye.  And Aaron Williams in the secondary.  Once that happens, look out.

20 hours ago, redrum said:

Effin' Seahawks. Can you say ROUGHING THE KICKER, you jackass refs and Sherman doing his best mad dog stare at Buffalo's coach. They're the most arrogant fucking team in the league.

Appalling missed call and cheap shot.  I can't stand Rex Ryan, but he's 100% justified to be upset about this.  What a jackass Sherman is, that went way beyond normal trash talking. 

On 11/8/2016 at 11:37 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Appalling missed call and cheap shot.  I can't stand Rex Ryan, but he's 100% justified to be upset about this.  What a jackass Sherman is, that went way beyond normal trash talking. 

Buffalo is my team and he is no Marv Levy.  But the league was wrong and the refs got it wrong.   AGAIN where we are concerned.  We have to get healthy, and run the table

15 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Buffalo is my team and he is no Marv Levy.  But the league was wrong and the refs got it wrong.   AGAIN where we are concerned.  We have to get healthy, and run the table

A very small bit of justice:  Sherman was fined today.  A trivial amount, but better than nothing I suppose.

5 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

A very small bit of justice:  Sherman was fined today.  A trivial amount, but better than nothing I suppose.

$9,115

How the fuck did they calculate that? He makes that in 10 minutes.

Boy is Cleveland a bad team.  Its not good for the NFL.  Cleveland was once a very proud franchise.  Great fans just like the Leafs, Bills and other teams that have had little recent success but great past success.  The Browns were NFL champions in 1964 and had there been a Super Bowl they would have played the Buffalo Bills.  I have little doubt that Jim Brown and company would have beaten the Jack Kemp version of the Bills.  But Super Bowl III taught us the old saying, on any given Sunday.  And to me it still stands as the biggest upset in Sports history.  Bigger than the 'miracle on Ice" and bigger than Buster Douglas's win over Tyson.  If you do not remember, it was Joe Namath's Jets over the mighty Baltimore Colts.  One of the greatest teams to be beaten in a SB.  The came back in two years after Minnesota gave us another monster upset losing to the KC Chiefs on astroturf and beat the Cowboys in the blunder bowl which was SB V.  Jim O'Brian's FG won it.  Mike Curtis, the best small middle linebacker in NFL history made the huge interception to seal the deal.  But getting back to the Browns, it would really be good for all if they were at least respectful again.  

I am hoping that my team starts its run in Cincy next week.  If they get Watkins back and McCoy is at full strength they can get it going.   They proved it in Seattle

Seattle at New England. This should be an interesting game tonight. I am especially interested in seeing how the referees approach this game. Both teams are persona non grata with the league office.

Roger Goodell's worst nightmare is the Patriots winning the Super Bowl and Kraft, Belichick, and Brady smugly taking the trophy from him and rubbing his face in the deflate-gate debacle.

Meanwhile, everybody has seen how Buffalo got hosed by the refs in Seattle last week and has spent all week venting their anger.  When a team gets a break from the refs like Seattle got, the tendency is for the refs to make up for it by calling things tighter for that team in the next game.

Seattle already leads the league in penalties, so the refs are already prone to nail them. So we could see a lot of flags tonight.

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Seattle at New England. This should be an interesting game tonight. I am especially interested in seeing how the referees approach this game. Both teams are persona non grata with the league office.

Roger Goodell's worst nightmare is the Patriots winning the Super Bowl and Kraft, Belichick, and Brady smugly taking the trophy from him and rubbing his face in the deflate-gate debacle.

Meanwhile, everybody has seen how Buffalo got hosed by the refs in Seattle last week and has spent all week venting their anger.  When a team gets a break from the refs like Seattle got, the tendency is for the refs to make up for it by calling things tighter for that team in the next game.

Seattle already leads the league in penalties, so the refs are already prone to nail them. So we could see a lot of flags tonight.

Your point is understandable but refs like in hockey seem to give the "I owe you" type of calls during a game.  Usually it does not carry to the next game.  But they usually give NE tons of breaks too.  Right now maybe they wont?  I am cheering for Seattle as you might imagine and I believe people are underestimating them.  Arizona best win this game vs the 49ers.  Also, Minnesota blows another game and Green Bay gets whacked in Tenn?  This has to be the Lions year.  I mean, they have received every shot imaginable now to win the Central.  I like the Lions chances.  They are playing decent on D for once also.  And Stafford is great.  As for my Bills, I believe that if they can win in Cincy, they can go nuts and get a WC.  The Jet are toast.  Nice defense by the Rams to do them in.  I am shocked the Jets let the fans win and let that kid play at QB and tank a game in the standings that maybe they would have won with Shitzpatrick?  We knew Pittsburgh would show up this week at home.  So we shall see what Seattle does tonight.  I think the Bengals are a better team than the Giants right now but I am not sure they are right either?  I would not read anything into Atlanta's loss.  They get a pass vs  a desperate Eagles team.  Atlanta is in great shape.  The only thing with them is, can they win a playoff game?  If they  miss Green Bay, and I will bet the fort they will, I like their chances to get to the second round.  They are a Super Bowl contender.  I like Matt Ryan.  Maybe the Lions are going to be the surprise team of the year?

Looks like Walter and I are the only ones that got burned on that disgusting Minnesota game.  I cannot believe they lost that game.  

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Good call Rick. You are the only one who had Seattle beating New England tonight, although I put that down to your Patriot-hatred rather any real belief that the Seahawks would win. ;)

No I believed very much.  I know NE is very limited in their offensive schemes.  Only Edelman and Gronkowski are real threats and that is a weakness vs a team that actually can play defense.  When the Bills get Aaron Williams back in the secondary they will be like a new team.  I know the game at Cincy might be tough, but I think we win that one and then procede to go on a streak again.   Arizona had a scare vs SF.  I am not sure why?  It seems they have a defense?  I am taking NE next week no my Elminator contest, where 124 are still alive including me.  I am 10 for 10 and I have NE in my bank unused.  Many others must take something else as they have used NE..   $16K just sittin there waiting for me to cash out on!:lol:  Destination Manhattan Beach if I win!

Seattle is a true Super Bowl contender.  They knocked the stuffing out of Gronk!!!  Must say I loved it  More teams need to do it.  Make him pay a price for thinking he can just roam freely vs NFL defenses.  Last night he got a wake up call.  

Archived