Definitive Blueberry Hill

Xolo1974

4 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Which label is it and which source did they use? 

Hi Neil, it's on the European 'Golden Eggs label' (successor of Eat A Peach/Godfather). Paul describes the source mix on his website (LZ Database). The Cobla stereo tape is the main source, but compared to the Graf Zep version (the one you have), this sounds a little bit more 'polished'. Less audience chatter too. But somehow I keep returning to my Cobla version. At the time I felt it was a significant upgrade to the TMOQ/Blimp mono source. 

The Golden Eggs release is actually the other stereo source. The “newer” one which didn’t come out in full until the 2000s. The same one used on Winston. Graf Zep used the old Cobra stereo source and patched it with the newer stereo source. Eggs has the opposite mix, with the newer stereo source as the base and the Cobra source to patch. Both sound really good to me. 

3 hours ago, pluribus said:

The Golden Eggs release is actually the other stereo source. The “newer” one which didn’t come out in full until the 2000s. The same one used on Winston. Graf Zep used the old Cobra stereo source and patched it with the newer stereo source. Eggs has the opposite mix, with the newer stereo source as the base and the Cobra source to patch. Both sound really good to me. 

So now there are two different "A Sweeter Blueberry" ? I have the "A Sweeter Blueberry" DVD-A, which is mostly source four, I've had it a long time, at least five years I think.

10 minutes ago, JTM said:

So now there are two different "A Sweeter Blueberry" ? I have the "A Sweeter Blueberry" DVD-A, which is mostly source four, I've had it a long time, at least five years I think.

Funny, I know. The “A Sweeter Blueberry” from years ago was done by a guy named Doinker. That turned out to be an inferior transfer of the same old Cobra stereo source. The Graf Zeppelin version of that tape is now the one to get. This new Golden Eggs bootleg has the same “A Sweeter Blueberry” title as that Doinker one, but is a completely different thing. It’s the newer/alt stereo source with patches, and sounds good.

5 hours ago, pluribus said:

Funny, I know. The “A Sweeter Blueberry” from years ago was done by a guy named Doinker. That turned out to be an inferior transfer of the same old Cobra stereo source. The Graf Zeppelin version of that tape is now the one to get. This new Golden Eggs bootleg has the same “A Sweeter Blueberry” title as that Doinker one, but is a completely different thing. It’s the newer/alt stereo source with patches, and sounds good.

Right, cheers. I think I’ll grab myself a copy.

Edited by JTM

Guys - my account is disabled on dime and I am having some difficulty getting it reinstated. If anyone can send me a link through Dropbox, wetransfer or google drives I sure would appreciate it. I have the silvers of the Graf Zep version and I’d love to hear this one. Thanks. Neil 

18 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Guys - my account is disabled on dime and I am having some difficulty getting it reinstated. If anyone can send me a link through Dropbox, wetransfer or google drives I sure would appreciate it. I have the silvers of the Graf Zep version and I’d love to hear this one. Thanks. Neil 

Check your messages.

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

For me, the Graf Zeppelin version just shades it 

I'm liking this "Golden Eggs" version. I'll compare it with the Graf when I find the file (must have it somewhere). It's a bit confusing these days 45+ years on from the first TMOQ and Dub Taylor versions, so many labels throw their takes out.  Back in 1973 (for me anyway) it was what do I play, the coloured vinyl stereo or the black vinyl mono, so simple then, not now though.

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I'm liking this "Golden Eggs" version. I'll compare it with the Graf when I find the file (must have it somewhere). It's a bit confusing these days 45+ years on from the first TMOQ and Dub Taylor versions, so many labels throw their takes out.  Back in 1973 (for me anyway) it was what do I play, the coloured vinyl stereo or the black vinyl mono, so simple then, not now though.

If you need the GF version let me know

4 hours ago, JTM said:

@JTM hate to tell you mate. I was born in 74 👍

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, Mattius said:

I do however need a rundown on the Graf Zeppelin compared to the new A Sweeter Blueberry by Golden Eggs. Also there the 9CD Wendy Box to contend with as well. The plot thickens!

Edited by Mattius

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, hhorse said:

reading the thread.  Do you have a link to a download?  I'm currently listening to Winston of Blueberry, and it is just at my audio-tolerance // bootleg ears.

Thank you, Mike

Which one? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, hhorse said:

reading the thread.  Do you have a link to a download?  I'm currently listening to Winston of Blueberry, and it is just at my audio-tolerance // bootleg ears.

Thank you, Mike

i can get you the graf zeppelin version if you want it...let me know and i will send you a link

Nite Owl’s “Ultimate Blueberry Hill” matrix is up on Dime. Sounds really good. It’s a matrix of sources 1,2,3,5 with sources 4/6 just for the intro.

There is some chorusing on the guitar during songs like Since I’ve Been Loving You, That’s the Way, Thank You. Since sounds like Page is using a chorus pedal. I think it may be from using the Rubber Dubber source during those sections, because the parts that don’t use that source (where the Rubber Dubber source is incomplete) don’t have that chorus sound.  Mix probably could have been just as good using just sources 1,3,5. Listening to Immigrant Song or Blueberry Hill, where just 1,3,5 were used sound great.

26 minutes ago, pluribus said:

Nite Owl’s “Ultimate Blueberry Hill” matrix is up on Dime. Sounds really good. It’s a matrix of sources 1,2,3,5 with sources 4/6 just for the intro.

There is some chorusing on the guitar during songs like Since I’ve Been Loving You, That’s the Way, Thank You. Since sounds like Page is using a chorus pedal. I think it may be from using the Rubber Dubber source during those sections, because the parts that don’t use that source (where the Rubber Dubber source is incomplete) don’t have that chorus sound.  Mix probably could have been just as good using just sources 1,3,5. Listening to Immigrant Song or Blueberry Hill, where just 1,3,5 were used sound great.

I can’t get on dime. F😀ck knows why, and the administrators have been less than helpful. If someone has the means of sharing this with me via alternative means, I’d really appreciate it.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:00 AM, pluribus said:

Your post with the link has been taken down. Not to worry, I have it. 

Blasted the first 30 mins in the car this morning and it sounded awesome. What impressed me was the bottom end. Brilliant. I’ll play it all later in with my headphones.

Just a thought - if the rubber dubber source compromises the quality, do you reckon nite owl could be persuaded to circulate a version that only uses sources 1, 3 and 5? 

Thanks again