Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Xolo1974

Definitive Blueberry Hill

Just heard the latest Graf Zeppelin version of Blueberry Hill. I have to say - it’s the best version of the show I’ve heard (but I’ve not heard the original Cobla/Cobra version). It’s source 3....and disc 3 is the Rubber Dubber source. 

I just like the sound a lot better than the Winston or EAP versions. The latter is just too shrill for me. 

Unless a soundboard comes out, I won’t be seeking another or source of this show. 

Happy Christmas everyone 

9 minutes ago, pluribus said:

The recent “A Sweeter Blueberry” release is currently up on Dime. Sounds really good.

Which label is it and which source did they use? 

4 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Which label is it and which source did they use? 

Hi Neil, it's on the European 'Golden Eggs label' (successor of Eat A Peach/Godfather). Paul describes the source mix on his website (LZ Database). The Cobla stereo tape is the main source, but compared to the Graf Zep version (the one you have), this sounds a little bit more 'polished'. Less audience chatter too. But somehow I keep returning to my Cobla version. At the time I felt it was a significant upgrade to the TMOQ/Blimp mono source. 

The Golden Eggs release is actually the other stereo source. The “newer” one which didn’t come out in full until the 2000s. The same one used on Winston. Graf Zep used the old Cobra stereo source and patched it with the newer stereo source. Eggs has the opposite mix, with the newer stereo source as the base and the Cobra source to patch. Both sound really good to me. 

3 hours ago, pluribus said:

The Golden Eggs release is actually the other stereo source. The “newer” one which didn’t come out in full until the 2000s. The same one used on Winston. Graf Zep used the old Cobra stereo source and patched it with the newer stereo source. Eggs has the opposite mix, with the newer stereo source as the base and the Cobra source to patch. Both sound really good to me. 

So now there are two different "A Sweeter Blueberry" ? I have the "A Sweeter Blueberry" DVD-A, which is mostly source four, I've had it a long time, at least five years I think.

10 minutes ago, JTM said:

So now there are two different "A Sweeter Blueberry" ? I have the "A Sweeter Blueberry" DVD-A, which is mostly source four, I've had it a long time, at least five years I think.

Funny, I know. The “A Sweeter Blueberry” from years ago was done by a guy named Doinker. That turned out to be an inferior transfer of the same old Cobra stereo source. The Graf Zeppelin version of that tape is now the one to get. This new Golden Eggs bootleg has the same “A Sweeter Blueberry” title as that Doinker one, but is a completely different thing. It’s the newer/alt stereo source with patches, and sounds good.

5 hours ago, pluribus said:

Funny, I know. The “A Sweeter Blueberry” from years ago was done by a guy named Doinker. That turned out to be an inferior transfer of the same old Cobra stereo source. The Graf Zeppelin version of that tape is now the one to get. This new Golden Eggs bootleg has the same “A Sweeter Blueberry” title as that Doinker one, but is a completely different thing. It’s the newer/alt stereo source with patches, and sounds good.

Right, cheers. I think I’ll grab myself a copy.

Edited by JTM

Guys - my account is disabled on dime and I am having some difficulty getting it reinstated. If anyone can send me a link through Dropbox, wetransfer or google drives I sure would appreciate it. I have the silvers of the Graf Zep version and I’d love to hear this one. Thanks. Neil 

18 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Guys - my account is disabled on dime and I am having some difficulty getting it reinstated. If anyone can send me a link through Dropbox, wetransfer or google drives I sure would appreciate it. I have the silvers of the Graf Zep version and I’d love to hear this one. Thanks. Neil 

Check your messages.

This was my first zep boot bought back in 1984 or 1985. SO glad to hear this show keeps getting upgraded. I'd love to hear an official release but fear Page's butcher knife edits should one ever be released. With these upgraded releases, it looks like we'll never need an official release : ) 

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

For me, the Graf Zeppelin version just shades it 

I'm liking this "Golden Eggs" version. I'll compare it with the Graf when I find the file (must have it somewhere). It's a bit confusing these days 45+ years on from the first TMOQ and Dub Taylor versions, so many labels throw their takes out.  Back in 1973 (for me anyway) it was what do I play, the coloured vinyl stereo or the black vinyl mono, so simple then, not now though.

Edited by JTM

1 hour ago, JTM said:

I'm liking this "Golden Eggs" version. I'll compare it with the Graf when I find the file (must have it somewhere). It's a bit confusing these days 45+ years on from the first TMOQ and Dub Taylor versions, so many labels throw their takes out.  Back in 1973 (for me anyway) it was what do I play, the coloured vinyl stereo or the black vinyl mono, so simple then, not now though.

If you need the GF version let me know

22 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

If you need the GF version let me know

Cheers, I'm okay thanks, I have it on my lappy. I'd just forgotten about it.

4 hours ago, JTM said:

@JTM hate to tell you mate. I was born in 74 👍

For Me the Winners are:-

1st Graf Zeppelin

2nd Eat A Peach

3rd Cobla/Cobra

I have all three, so I feel I'm in a position to accurately compare! ;)

Posted (edited)
On 3/3/2019 at 11:45 AM, Mattius said:

I do however need a rundown on the Graf Zeppelin compared to the new A Sweeter Blueberry by Golden Eggs. Also there the 9CD Wendy Box to contend with as well. The plot thickens!

Edited by Mattius