What is the lowest quality recording that you can still enjoy?

ZepHead315

Figured this might be interesting since we all have different "bootleg ears". What is the worst-sounding bootleg/recording that you can still enjoy in spite of all of its flaws?

The one that comes to mind for me is Seattle 6/19/72. Noisy, a bit distant, plenty of chatter around the taper, seems to be overloaded on the bass...but MAN what a performance! Although my number 1 wish is for a better recording of this show, the performance is so great that I can look past all the flaws and still enjoy the hell out of it. I have a feeling that if this were just a standard gig by 72 standards, I'd skip out on it. But the combination of all the rarities, the first performances of songs, and the incendiary performance makes this one a keeper for me! :D

I've actually never thought Seattle '72 is as bad as everyone says;  not great by any means, but I don't have to make any real effort listening to it.  Baltimore '73 immediately comes to mind as a show that's clearly great, but requires some serious work to focus and listen to the awful recording.  

I actually love 6/19/72 - everything about it.  The guy screaming and losing his shit at the start of D&C is one of the great bootleg audience moments ever.  Gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.  I really, honestly love that recording.

6/22/77 is a good one.  Boston, 5/28/69 Masters of Excess is about it for me. 

It's changed over the years as the quality and availability of Zeppelin bootlegs has increased.  Back in the sevendeez, we were thrilled by almost ANY bootleg, now I don't want to listen to poor quality recordings more than once or twice.

On 10/19/2017 at 10:54 PM, JohnOsbourne said:

Baltimore '73 immediately comes to mind as a show that's clearly great, but requires some serious work to focus and listen to the awful recording.

I tried listening to that one once and I think I only got through Rock and Roll before I had to switch it off. :lol: From what little I heard, Robert in particular was in prime form at that show. It might just be his best show of '73. A soundboard for this show is definitely up there on my wishlist!

On 10/19/2017 at 11:36 PM, Bozoso73 said:

I think 6/22/77 is up there. . but I cant ever get all the way through it (If only MM was there:):)

On 10/20/2017 at 1:46 PM, LedElvis75 said:

6/22/77 is a good one.

I agree to an extent, although I find the majority of that show to be pretty listenable. It's a bit harsh-sounding in places, but overall, the only time where it gets hard for me to listen to it is Ten Years Gone and (to a lesser extent) No Quarter. The former is so distant and tinny sounding that it's honestly almost more trouble than it's worth for me. The latter is better, although I wish it weren't so damn hissy (especially since it directly follows the best source of the bunch, which unfortunately lasts for only a few minutes). Other than that, I enjoy it just fine with no major problems. Still would love a soundboard or better audience recording to show up!

On 10/20/2017 at 7:05 PM, drpete said:

For that matter , same for Bath 1970

Completely agree. That's a show that I honestly can't listen to. It just sounds like Plant singing over distorted background noise to me. I envy those who can appreciate it, and I have no doubt that it was an incredible show, but it's honestly just too harsh-sounding for me.

When it comes to Led Zeppelin, or any of my favourite bands that I collect, I can withstand the lowest of the low. Especially if it is a show I have never heard before, I will suffer through whatever it takes to hear it.

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2017 at 3:32 PM, Strider said:

When it comes to Led Zeppelin, or any of my favourite bands that I collect, I can withstand the lowest of the low. Especially if it is a show I have never heard before, I will suffer through whatever it takes to hear it.

Respect

I have forced myself to sit through some bad ones since I want to hear them all, but for repeated listening I probably won't go below something like Ipswich '71 or Greensboro '75 (which btw I don't think is as bad as its rep seems to be, in fact I quite like it). The rest I'll listen to once, make a mental note to look out for a SBD if one turns up later, and move on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to say for me, it's specifically Thank You - Montreal 1972-06-07.

The recording isn't great to begin with, then concludes with the most tedious CUT at the final chorus... Yet something about it has drawn me back to it so damn many times. 

Archived