Super Deluxe Box Set, TSRTS

Allister

First post, long time lurker.

Why no chatter? Couldn't wait to get home to start listening. Packaging is great, per usual. Got #912, my first below 1000.

Have only listened and compared 3-4 songs. As compared to 2007, seems a bit crisper to my ear. Just started the DVD...need to adjust my rear speakers before commenting much, but like HTWWW, the DVD 5.1 disc may be the jewel. Will listen to vinyl tonight.

I know it's a retread, but I'm happy to listen to something new that I know Jimmy Page spent lot of time on.

Edited by Allister

14 minutes ago, Allister said:

First post, long time lurker.

Why no chatter? Couldn't wait to get home to start listening. Packaging is great, per usual. Got #912, my first below 1000.

Have only listened and compared 3-4 songs. As compared to 2007, seems a bit crisper to my ear. Just started the Blueray...need to adjust my rear speakers before commenting much, but like HTWWW, the Blueray disc may be the jewel. Will listen to vinyl tonight.

I know it's a retread, but I'm happy to listen to something new that I know Jimmy Page spent lot of time on.

Hi there, are the songs in the correct setlist order on the Blu-ray? Or did they leave the Ocean stuck in the middle ,  instead of in it's proper place as the encore?

1 hour ago, Allister said:

It is a DVD file. It is still formatted in 5.1...I think "Blueray" only enhances video. So, DVD audio should be the same. Most Blueray players will also play DVDs, as well.

I may be wrong...

So whatever the case, the Ocean is still in the wrong spot sequence wise. It was the least they could've done since they didn't do anything else with the lame movie edited versions of SIBLY and No Quarter.  🙄

I bet they’ll (WB/Rhino) release the “definitive super duper pooper scooper version” with original sequence/running order (w/ thank you) , longer versions & bonus angles (videos / including band member sequences options with concert footage reimagined , mirror glass options during solos, etc) sometime in next ten years, but it’ll cost ya an arm and a leg. Probably will be $,$$$.$$ For it. 

R😎

Edited by reids

4 minutes ago, reids said:

I bet they’ll (WB/Rhino) release the “definitive super duper pooper scooper version” with original sequence/running order (w/ thank you) , longer versions & bonus angles (videos / including band member sequences options with concert footage reimagined , mirror glass options during solos, etc) sometime in next ten years, but it’ll cost ya an arm and a leg. Probably will be $,$$$.$$ For it. 

R😎

Yeah, after Jimmy Page no longer walks this Earth, maybe..

So I ordered the super deluxe box set from LZ.com ages ago, thinking this was the honourable thing to do.... and it's not yet in my hands!!! Very frustrating. Received an email on the eve of the release (6th) from Music Glue stating the following:

"Please allow up to 10 business days for your order to arrive. If your order has not arrived by September 20 please get in touch by replying to this email."

WTF!! Really expected better service than that.

23 minutes ago, Pilot of the Storm said:

So I ordered the super deluxe box set from LZ.com ages ago, thinking this was the honourable thing to do.... and it's not yet in my hands!!! Very frustrating. Received an email on the eve of the release (6th) from Music Glue stating the following:

"Please allow up to 10 business days for your order to arrive. If your order has not arrived by September 20 please get in touch by replying to this email."

WTF!! Really expected better service than that.

I pre-ordered from Amazon some of the 2016-17 Led Zeppelin remaster campaign super deluxe releases within an hour of them becoming available and received higher numbers than those of people who ordered elsewhere long afterward. It's something to do with how they are distributed. You have to hope your supplier is processed first or early on. In this case, it seems the batch for the LZ.com customers was not among the first to be distributed.  

35 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I pre-ordered from Amazon some of the 2016-17 Led Zeppelin remaster campaign super deluxe releases within an hour of them becoming available and received higher numbers than those of people who ordered elsewhere long afterward. It's something to do with how they are distributed. You have to hope your supplier is processed first or early on. In this case, it seems the batch for the LZ.com customers was not among the first to be distributed.  

That'll teach me then! You'd expect LZ.com would mail first, but clearly not. Amazon from now on. At least with them you generally have your hands on your stuff on the day of release.

11 hours ago, Allister said:

It is a DVD file. It is still formatted in 5.1...I think "Blueray" only enhances video. So, DVD audio should be the same. Most Blueray players will also play DVDs, as well.

I may be wrong...

Except that they're also selling this. They just didn't bother to include it in the $200 super deluxe box set. Just the lower res DVD instead. Along with the DVD of the movie instead of the Bluray that has been around for years. Some of the reasons that TSRTS is the only SDBS that I'm still undecided about buying. 

Screenshot_20180908-094454_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, LordStanley said:

Except that they're also selling this. They just didn't bother to include it in the $200 super deluxe box set. Just the lower res DVD instead. Along with the DVD of the movie instead of the Bluray that has been around for years. Some of the reasons that TSRTS is the only SDBS that I'm still undecided about buying. 

Screenshot_20180908-094454_Chrome.jpg

Yes, and this is what I wanted to know about....is the Ocean in the middle? I assume it is not, and that's what I think is really lame because the rest of it is a disappointment, aside from improved EQ.

5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yes, and this is what I wanted to know about....is the Ocean in the middle? I assume it is not, and that's what I think is really lame because the rest of it is a disappointment, aside from improved EQ.

I have the Blu-ray audio disc. "The Ocean" is included as Track #10, sandwiched between "The Rain Song" and "Dazed And Confused."

The 24 page booklet, has the notes that are same ones written in 2007 by Cameron Crowe. I will say, that for a product like this that's being bought by a whole lotta fans now over 50, they could have easily used a larger font, and each page certainly shows that they had to room to do it!

The entire 15 tracks are in 5.1 Surround DTS HD Master Audio & in Stereo High-Resolution Linear PCM Audio

Plus Video of C Day, OTHAFA, M M Hop, & The Ocean.

Exclusive Photo Gallery

The outside of the case and the outside of the album has a faux leather imprint on the black cardboard.

The UPC # is 6-03497-85892-7

The Catalog # is BD2-567649

Edited by The Rover

Sadly, my main motivation to buy this SDBS is simply that I bought all the other ones and it seems a shame not to complete the collection. I have TSRTS on vinyl. I have the movie on Bluray. I can stream the tracks in hi-res over Tidal. I've even made my own 12 x 12 print to mount with the others. At least, the Bluray audio disc would have been a nice addition. As it is, I kind of feel like I'd be spending all that money just to have the cool box to set on my shelf with the others. 

4 hours ago, The Rover said:

I have the Blu-ray audio disc. "The Ocean" is included as Track #10, sandwiched between "The Rain Song" and "Dazed And Confused."

The 24 page booklet, has the notes that are same ones written in 2007 by Cameron Crowe. I will say, that for a product like this that's being bought by a whole lotta fans now over 50, they could have easily used a larger font, and each page certainly shows that they had to room to do it!

The entire 15 tracks are in 5.1 Surround DTS HD Master Audio & in Stereo High-Resolution Linear PCM Audio

Plus Video of C Day, OTHAFA, M M Hop, & The Ocean.

Exclusive Photo Gallery

The outside of the case and the outside of the album has a faux leather imprint on the black cardboard.

The UPC # is 6-03497-85892-7

The Catalog # is BD2-567649

Thanks for the info. 

52 minutes ago, Strider said:

Thank You Jimmy. You have saved me $200. I'll probably get the Blu-Ray but I'll be skipping the Super Deluxe Bullshit...ooops, sorry, I mean Box Set.

i feel in rant mode but I should stop now. Nobody wants to read my anger.

😄 I like reading a good rant! 

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Thank You Jimmy. You have saved me $200. I'll probably get the Blu-Ray but I'll be skipping the Super Deluxe Bullshit...ooops, sorry, I mean Box Set.

I purchased the download.  The sound quality is significantly improved.  Plant's vocals are more clear on nearly every song.  At some points, drums are better defined and not as recessed.  Overall, I get the impression that this is how the album should have sounded all along.  I am wondering what was done with the remaster to improve the sound quality.  Is the tech better now for remastering?

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Who's being negative now? Kidding, Strider. I feel you. For a man so concerned about the image and sound of his musical heyday, Page seems to really be missing the mark on all these remasters. He had an opportunity to give the fans exactly what they want, but for some reason played it safe all the way. I don't know, maybe the record execs are pulling the strings more than we think.

2 hours ago, Wildernesshike said:

I am wondering what was done with the remaster to improve the sound quality.  Is the tech better now for remastering?

They remastered off the 2007 release, so I imagine they only adjusted the mix and balance from the multitrack they had saved for that release. The problem with many recordings between 2000 and 2012 is over-compression, known as the "Loudness wars". For some reason record labels got into a competition to see how much they could increase the volume on CDs. In order to keep the audio from distorting, they had to compress the hell out of it, resulting in inferior sound quality. These remasters have the compression dialed back which gives the instruments more space. It's the one thing they did right with them.