The Guns N' Roses/Velvet Revolver Thread

Hand_Of_Omega_91

I've seen STP five times and VR twice.

I much prefer STP to VR live and studio wise.

Weiland's a helluva front man for a band, that's for sure.

Last VR concert I attended, it was like you could see Slash pissed as shit during the show. Weiland made some smart ass comment toward a young concert goer that was in poor fucking taste. Of course, they were not punctual, a good hour or more post AIC.

Anyway, Alice In Chains blew their ass off the stage.

Fuck it. I'd pay to see VR live again.

Yeah I've seen STP 8 times and VR 3. Scott just never seemed to click with VR on stage, like did with STP. VR's first disc was epic, the best Scott had put out since Tiny Music...., IMO. I would like to see them together again, as long as it's aggressive music and not like an STP disc just with different muscians - like Libertad was.

Just got back from attending the last night of the Guns n' Roses World Tour at Zepp Tokyo, a 2,700 seat rock club on Tokyo Bay. What do I have to say about Axl Rose? Oh, my god what a rock n' roll performance he delivered tonight. An absolutely stunning three hours,

to include an instrumental version of Led Zeppelin's No Quarter. I'll remember this gig as long as I live. Hope to post a full review soon.

I saw Guns n' Roses at The Coliseum when they opened for The Rolling Stones. Actually, it was Rolling Stones, Guns n' Roses, and Living Color. (By the way, whatever happened to Living Color?)

I noticed Axl used a lot of facial expression when he performed. Overall, I'd say it was a good performance. However, it is my understanding that their Live at Budokan show is considered their best.

Axl is a very controversial character. I make a point of not getting caught up in all the hype surrounding him.

I believe Slash is very talented. I'd like to see him stretch a little more as an artist because I believe he has the potential to do that.

Gn'R have written some good numbers, and in my opinion, Welcome to the Jungle is probably the best. I say this because of its guitar solo where the drums and base have that jungle rhythm feel. Sharp! Demonstrates what can be done with music.

I have enjoyed some of their other numbers. I get a kick out Nice Boys, and One in a Million has that edge to it. There are, of course, other songs they do that I like but I don't need to mention them.

Sounds great, Steve! Did Axl behave?

Axl was a prince. At one point between songs he asked everyone to take a step back because he said the people in the front row were getting smashed and he didn't want to see anyone get hurt.

It must require an epic amount of self-delusion to care about Axl and co. these days. Out of respect for Izzy, Duff, Slash and Steve, I refuse to call what Axl is doing 'G n R'.

You're an Axl Rose hater, I got that the first 10 times, but the fact is his three hour performance in a small Tokyo club last night is receiving rave reviews from those who were there and was exactly what I wanted to see and needed to hear.

I saw Guns n' Roses at The Coliseum when they opened for The Rolling Stones. Actually, it was Rolling Stones, Guns n' Roses, and Living Color. (By the way, whatever happened to Living Color?)

Hey Dee Dee, which of the four nights did you see? I went the first night Oct. 18, then the weekend shows of Oct. 21 and 22. It rained the 22nd, and Axl ran around the entire track at the Coliseum during one song...I think "Paradise City".

These were the infamous shows where G n R aired their dirty laundry regarding their drug use and other issues. The first night featured an epic rant by Axl and he called out Slash's heroin use before "Mr. Brownstone", saying these would be the last G n R shows if certain people didn't stop dancing with Mr. Brownstone. Axl then capped the night by falling off the stage.

I remember thinking at the time that the pressure of opening for the Stones was getting to Axl. In contrast, the Stones came on like a well-oiled professional band.

The third night featured a mea culpa of sorts by Slash, saying drugs wouldn't get in the way of the band...or something like that. They played a little better than the first night but still couldn't overshadow the Stones, who were much better on this tour than they had been in 1981. Much better set list, too.

Of course, the ONE night I didn't go, Oct. 19, is the night Eric Clapton showed up to play with the Stones. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Tickets were something like $30. In comparison, the 1981 tour cost $15 and 1972 was around $7.

Guns n' Roses at Zepp Tokyo on December 18th, 2012

20121218001_zps793dc471.jpg

Boarding the train at Shinjuku Station bound for Tokyo Teleport station in Odaiba

20121218004_zpsd798b820.jpg

Walking from Tokyo Teleport station to Zepp Tokyo located beneath the Sky Wheel in Palette Town

20121218007_zps071ddad5.jpg

Approaching the Sky Wheel

20121218008_zps3199b16c.jpg

The Sky Wheel on a chilly December 18th 2012

20121218009_zps2a8fac64.jpg

20121218010_zpsd1125d0d.jpg

20121218013_zps95fe5b50.jpg

Approaching an entrance to Palette Town

20121218012_zps9b044d7a.jpg

Approaching an entrance to Palette Town

20121218017_zpse047c421.jpg

Entering Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

20121218018_zps94f0ee6e.jpg

Walking thru Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

All photos credit/courtesy of Steve A. Jones

Edited by SteveAJones

Guns n' Roses at Zepp Tokyo on December 18th, 2012

20121218014_zps374f1bb1.jpg

Christmas Tree Illuminations in Palette Town enroute to Zepp Tokyo

20121218019_zpsb769a877.jpg

Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218022_zps11402676.jpg

Main entrance to Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218020_zps971eed70.jpg

Main entrance to Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm draws near

20121218023_zps09ae5c2c.jpg

The line has now formed behind Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm comes and goes

20121218025_zps11890029.jpg

The line has now formed behind Zepp Tokyo as the scheduled doors opening time of 6pm comes and goes

20121218029_zpse3c5a968.jpg

Official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

20121218030_zps992c7977.jpg

Official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

20121218028_zpse19f5a8b.jpg

The outer right side of official merchandise sales tent in front of Zepp Tokyo

All photos credit/courtesy of Steve A. Jones

Edited by SteveAJones

• 1 month later...

SAJ, any word on a new VR singer - or is the band pretty much on hiatus for foreseeable future? Thanks for any info you have.

:peace:

Slash is still touring for another three months in support of his 'Apocalyptic Love' album - to include Ozzfest in Japan this May - and Duff McKagan's Loaded is also on tour (they will play two dates at Zepp Tokyo next month). It seems there will be no Velvet Revolver activity this year, but it hasn't been ruled out altogether for the future.

Edited by SteveAJones

Hey Dee Dee, which of the four nights did you see? I went the first night Oct. 18, then the weekend shows of Oct. 21 and 22. It rained the 22nd, and Axl ran around the entire track at the Coliseum during one song...I think "Paradise City".

These were the infamous shows where G n R aired their dirty laundry regarding their drug use and other issues. The first night featured an epic rant by Axl and he called out Slash's heroin use before "Mr. Brownstone", saying these would be the last G n R shows if certain people didn't stop dancing with Mr. Brownstone. Axl then capped the night by falling off the stage.

I remember thinking at the time that the pressure of opening for the Stones was getting to Axl. In contrast, the Stones came on like a well-oiled professional band.

The third night featured a mea culpa of sorts by Slash, saying drugs wouldn't get in the way of the band...or something like that. They played a little better than the first night but still couldn't overshadow the Stones, who were much better on this tour than they had been in 1981. Much better set list, too.

Of course, the ONE night I didn't go, Oct. 19, is the night Eric Clapton showed up to play with the Stones. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Tickets were something like $30. In comparison, the 1981 tour cost $15 and 1972 was around $7.

I was at this show, first time I'd ever seen the Stones or G n'R live, and Clapton was the icing on the cake. I remember hearing on KLOS 95.5 that G n'R was going to break up after the "Brownstone" incident the night before. Instead they came out and rocked the Colisseum, great show!

VR's on indefinite hold, what was interesting was hearing about Duff & Dave Kushner getting together to write a song or two for Scott Weiland.

Slash sounds like he never wants anything to do with Weiland other than an occasional get together on stage.

Matt's talked about doing another all star tour, it sounded like he wanted to get Izzy, Duff, Slash, and Steven to be on the bill, kind of a RRHOF tour without calling it Guns N' Roses. But it would be cool to see the different bands do their thing and come together at the end and play the AFD classics. Izzy hasn't toured in a looong time other than doing guest appearances.

Yes, it is interesting to hear them speak about Weiland now as opposed to a few years ago when things went sour. I would love for Scott to sing with VR, as long as he has his head on straight and not be the priMa donna that he tends to become when using again.

~ Video clip I recorded at the Guns n' Roses concert in Tokyo last week ~

You recorded That??It's my dream to go to the GnR show (like going to the concert led), and led the GnR are my favorite bands! I have all DVDs, Blue Ray, books, albums, of GnR, and have led the celebration Day, and 7 CDs! I am very glad you like it's GnR! :D follow in instagram: @ gunsnrosesfcbrazil

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...