Seattle '77 - Who's playing drum sticks on JPJ's upright bass?

MackeyWilliams

4 hours ago, Strider said:

The birthday boy.

Who would that be? It ain't today's bday boy? Maybe a drum tech... but that's speculation. Sorry!  😄

BigNoise From Winnetka , then a little Cole Porter.  Man that is dreadful....LOL, it sounds like a shred video. Fail.

Edited by porgie66

1 hour ago, MackeyWilliams said:

Not only dead wrong but really dumb. You can see the "birthday boy" blowing into the bottle when the other person is hitting the bass strings with the drum sticks.

Try harder next time, expert. 

Damn, chill dude. And that's bad coming from me.

3 hours ago, MackeyWilliams said:

Not only dead wrong but really dumb. You can see the "birthday boy" blowing into the bottle when the other person is hitting the bass strings with the drum sticks.

Try harder next time, expert. 

If you knew who Strider is, you wouldn't dare talk to him like this. He went to many LZ shows, including 5 out of 6 LA '77 shows. He shared his memories with us. His desriptions are the closest thing of being actually there, 40+ years ago. I admire him for doing that. So please show him some respect. Talking about his response, he probably hasn't seen the Seattle video for years, like many other fans, for the very simple reason that there are many '77 brilliant shows that make the Seattle show look mediocre. Or he is just joking.  To stay on the thread, I will reply to you: The person with the drumsticks is Jimmy Page. He did this while waiting for the guitar tech to bring him another guitar, because he broke a string.

Edited by confounded_bridge
Grammar

I thought it was Jimmy ! 

He breaks a string which initiates this whole sequence he’s doing that while waiting for Ray to fix string you can see a bit of white sleeve of Jimmys dragon suit

if you think Jonesy would let a lowly roadie come on stage and beat his bass with drumsticks, well, I don’t know what to tell ya !

26 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

I thought it was Jimmy ! 

He breaks a string which initiates this whole sequence he’s doing that while waiting for Ray to fix string you can see a bit of white sleeve of Jimmys dragon suit

if you think Jonesy would let a lowly roadie come on stage and beat his bass with drumsticks, well, I don’t know what to tell ya

So...proof that JP played drums on stage once with Zeppelin...! (sort of)

9 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Damn, chill dude. And that's bad coming from me.

6 hours ago, confounded_bridge said:

If you knew who Strider is, you wouldn't dare talk to him like this. He went to many LZ shows, including 5 out of 6 LA '77 shows. He shared his memories with us. His desriptions are the closest thing of being actually there, 40+ years ago. I admire him for doing that. So please show him some respect. Talking about his response, he probably hasn't seen the Seattle video for years, like many other fans, for the very simple reason that there are many '77 brilliant shows that make the Seattle show look mediocre. Or he is just joking.  To stay on the thread, I will reply to you: The person with the drumsticks is Jimmy Page. He did this while waiting for the guitar tech to bring him another guitar, because he broke a string.

It's okay guys. Nobody owes me anything. I don't mind a little snark. I was just having fun so I deserved his ccmeback. No harm done. Frankly, watching that snippet on my phone I can't tell what the hell is going on, haha. I'll have to check my dvd of Seattle later.

Edited by Strider

2 hours ago, Strider said:

It's okay guys. Nobody owes me anything. I don't mind a little snark. I was just having fun so I deserved his ccmeback. No harm done. Frankly, watching that snippet on my phone I can't tell what the hell is going on, haha. I'll have to check my dvd of Seattle later.

I bet you remember more of '77 than Jimmy does Strider... 😁

29 minutes ago, 76229 said:

It may be close. The other day my brother was telling me about something we did in 1979, asking me "Remember that?" and I didn't have a clue what he was talking about. I had completely forgotten. Haha.

23 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

You can see someone adjusting Bonham's cymbal stand right when the camera angle changes, so that's my assumption as well. Mick Hinton?

I have to watch again but I don't think he's adjusting a stand, I think that's someone putting the drumsticks back on the bass drum. It's hard to tell who, though. It could be Jimmy , or maybe Jones tech did it. Hell they were all so fucking high. Listen to that crazy shit! LOL. Bonkers. 

Where is the white sleeve visible?? When the stocks get put back? I don't see any sleeve during the playing on the bass. 

23 hours ago, 76229 said:

What does that have to do with the topic of this thread? Take it to PMs.

It actually starts much sooner than I noted in my original post. More like 00:28. At around 0:31 you can see someone wearing white (or light colored) pants behind whoever it is playing JPJ's bass with drum sticks. Arguably among the most bizarre moments in LZ's onstage history. The whole thing is a train wreck.

Today I pulled out my Seattle '77 DVD, which I haven't watched in years. When I do visit the Seattle Kingdome show it is usually via my Godfatherecords cd set.

It's Jimmy Page.

Look, it's quite simple...Led Zeppelin did not suffer fools on stage. If you had no business being on stage you stayed off. They rarely had special guests...Keith Moon and Ron Wood were the rare exceptions to the rule.

In 1977, apart from the band you primarily saw Mick Hinton assisting John Bonham and Raymond Scott assisting Jimmy and other roadies handling putting the chairs on and off for the acoustic set and other stage needs.

During "Bron-yr-aur Stomp" Jimmy is unhappy with his guitar (maybe he broke a string...it's too blurry to tell) and you can see Jimmy signal to Jones to vamp while Raymond fixes or switches his guitar. You can clearly see Mick Hinton still standing behind Bonham when you hear the drumsticks on John Paul Jones' bass. So it is not Mick. It is not Raymond. It is not Robert. It is not Jones. That leaves Jimmy Page as the mystery man.

9 hours ago, MackeyWilliams said:

Rare exceptions? Phil Carson, Richard Cole, Simon Kirke, and Mick Ralphs would beg to differ. 

Your process of elimination has some validity, but the bottom line is you're guessing. 

Is there a particular reason you are being so salty or just a bad day in general.

Relax, it's the weekend, have some fun and take it light brother.

On 8/23/2019 at 11:30 AM, MackeyWilliams said:

Rare exceptions? Phil Carson, Richard Cole, Simon Kirke, and Mick Ralphs would beg to differ. 

Your process of elimination has some validity, but the bottom line is you're guessing. 

And that chick who replaced Jonesy for one show.

6 minutes ago, PeaceFrogYum said:

? What ?

I have never heard of this. What show did this happen? Who was the woman? If you tell me it was Pam Grier you will make my day.

Cleveland 1970-08-26. Jonesy was replaced by local musician Deborah Smith for the encores (he flew back to England due to a family emergency).

10 minutes ago, ed141 said:

Cleveland 1970-08-26. Jonesy was replaced by local musician Deborah Smith for the encores (he flew back to England due to a family emergency).

Oh yes, now I remember. I believe his father had passed away and JPJ had to leave. I wonder how Ms. Smith managed? Is there a tape of the show with encores?

Thanks ed141

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, PeaceFrogYum said:

Oh yes, now I remember. I believe his father had passed away and JPJ had to leave. I wonder how Ms. Smith managed? Is there a tape of the show with encores?

Thanks ed141

According to this site, there's sadly no circulating source of this show. However, this site hasn't been updated in a while (since 2015?), so it's entirely possible a tape has popped up since then. I've only gotten into bootlegs last yearish, so I wouldn't know. Sucks because it certainly sounds like an interesting thing to hear. Also sad that this website isn't kept up to date, it's a great resource. Maybe I'll try to message Your Overlord about it...