New York and Los Angeles 1977 Shows Divided Into Pairs

Bonzo_fan

I've been thinking of a bit of a goofy hypothetical as I've been listening this week: if the New York and Los Angeles runs were divided into pairs comprised of the first night of each, second night of each and so on and you could only pick one, which pair would you choose?  

I think I would have to go with the fifth night of each because to me, the gap between June 13 and the other New York shows is much bigger than the separation between the Top 4 Los Angeles shows.  A better recording of June 8 would make it a tougher call since June 22 is my favourite show of the year, but for now I'm going with the two penultimate shows.

Also, for argument's sake let's assume that we have all 12 shows complete and in the same excellent sound quality -- 12 soundboards, 12 Millard's, 12 multi-tracks...whichever is easier for you to imagine.  I realize that the current sound quality (June 8) or completeness (June 14) can make it hard to judge, though...

Edited by Bonzo_fan

21 minutes ago, SteveZ98 said:

I'm going with the first nights in each city. My buddy Mike was at the initial show in NYC, so I get to relive it vicariously through his recollections. And I love how Bonzo storms the stage when he gets to L.A. 

Interesting. I didn't expect there to be many takers for that combo, although your remaster of June 7 definitely helped me to see it in a different light. That opening explosion of the June 21 show may well be the greatest start to a concert by anybody, ever.

6 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Interesting. I didn't expect there to be many takers for that combo, although your remaster of June 7 definitely helped me to see it in a different light. That opening explosion of the June 21 show may well be the greatest start to a concert by anybody, ever.

Yes indeed, Bonzo's entrance into Song Remains The Same is nothing short of explosive, the entire concert he is a madman, how he maintains that speed and energy for almost four hours is unreal! 

Added this to the OP but will say it down here as well: for argument's sake let's assume that we have all 12 shows complete and in the same excellent sound quality -- 12 soundboards, 12 Millard's, 12 multi-tracks...whichever is easier for you to imagine.  I realize that the current sound quality (June 8) or completeness (June 14) can make it hard to judge, though...

Okay, to use Rumsfeld's classic line about "known knowns and known unknowns", I dove into your hypothesis, Bonzo_fan.

Let me start with the known unknowns...the New York shows. I wasn't there. A few dodgy audience tapes and a soundboard is all we have to go by. But every person I have talked to that went to one of those Madison Square Garden gigs in 1977 said it was tremendous. So, I feel confident that whatever New York night I pick, I am going to enjoy the concert.

Now, let's move to the known knowns...The L.A. Forum shows. Five of these I saw and while all were great, and even the tape I have heard of the show I missed (June 22) shows that it also was a great night, if I had to pick one to go back in time to see all over again, it would be the one with Keith Moon, June 23. You cannot deny the historical aspect of Keith Moon's last appearance on an American stage. His appearance lent a Looney vibe to a concert that already was a crazy party.

So my pairing to go back in time to see would be the third night shows...June 10 and June 23.

Now, if you are talking only about which pairing of shows to choose based on available tapes, then I would pick the first night...June 7 and June 21. None of the NY audience tapes sound any good and the newly improved June 7 soundboard is one of the better '77 soundboard I have heard. As for June 21, I like the sound of this tape a tad more than the June 23.

Edited by Strider

June 22 is my favorite 1977 show, the energy is insane and Jimmy had a wardrobe malfunction that he solved with a ladies belt (according to R. Plant on the night).  Dying Time and Over The Hills in the same gig, and OTH was a late set impulse of Page it seems.  And to me it’s the all-time versions for both pieces.  The solo Page unleashes on OTH is one of the most spectacular things he ever played.

June 10 has a similar feel to me.  Maybe it’s the less than perfect audience recordings, but the energy of those gigs is awe-inspiring.  Certainly Eddie on June 21 is the greatest audience recording it can’t be said enough.

Of course the band was in less than perfect health in 1977, but the tour was spectacular, and there was a lot of thought and planning that went into it.  They were the biggest and the best, and they knew it.  It was all down to the execution from gig to gig.

11 hours ago, hummingbird69 said:

I would go with June 21 and 23 just for the tremendous drumming from Bonham during TSRTS on the 21st and then the 23rd because it's the best gig from 77 overall period.

9 hours ago, White Phone said:

June 22 is my favorite 1977 show, the energy is insane and Jimmy had a wardrobe malfunction that he solved with a ladies belt (according to R. Plant on the night).  Dying Time and Over The Hills in the same gig, and OTH was a late set impulse of Page it seems.  And to me it’s the all-time versions for both pieces.  The solo Page unleashes on OTH is one of the most spectacular things he ever played.

June 10 has a similar feel to me.  Maybe it’s the less than perfect audience recordings, but the energy of those gigs is awe-inspiring.  Certainly Eddie on June 21 is the greatest audience recording it can’t be said enough.

Of course the band was in less than perfect health in 1977, but the tour was spectacular, and there was a lot of thought and planning that went into it.  They were the biggest and the best, and they knew it.  It was all down to the execution from gig to gig.

Way to not answer the OP's question.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:34 AM, Strider said:

Okay, to use Rumsfeld's classic line about "known knowns and known unknowns", I dove into your hypothesis, Bonzo_fan.

Let me start with the known unknowns...the New York shows. I wasn't there. A few dodgy audience tapes and a soundboard is all we have to go by. But every person I have talked to that went to one of those Madison Square Garden gigs in 1977 said it was tremendous. So, I feel confident that whatever New York night I pick, I am going to enjoy the concert.

Now, let's move to the known knowns...The L.A. Forum shows. Five of these I saw and while all were great, and even the tape I have heard of the show I missed (June 22) shows that it also was a great night, if I had to pick one to go back in time to see all over again, it would be the one with Keith Moon, June 23. You cannot deny the historical aspect of Keith Moon's last appearance on an American stage. His appearance lent a Looney vibe to a concert that already was a crazy party.

So my pairing to go back in time to see would be the third night shows...June 10 and June 23.

Now, if you are talking only about which pairing of shows to choose based on available tapes, then I would pick the first night...June 7 and June 21. None of the NY audience tapes sound any good and the newly improved June 7 soundboard is one of the better '77 soundboard I have heard. As for June 21, I like the sound of this tape a tad more than the June 23.

I expected the third nights to be a popular choice.  June 23 certainly sounds like it would have been a fun one to attend -- Moon's presence doesn't really add anything musically, but I can appreciate how cool it would have been in person, and yes, the historical significance is worth noting.

I agree that the first nights are the way to go if it's listening to the existing recordings.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I think your question is going over people's heads a bit.

Definitely 10th/23rd for me. As strong as the 21st is, I don't think the 7th can balance out the combo. There were a lot of nerves in that show. 

I'm noticing that lol.

Fair choice for sure. I agree about the 7th.

Just to clarify as there seems to be a bit of confusion about the original question, the options are:

June 7 and June 21, or;

June 8 and June 22, or;

June 10 and June 23, or;

June 11 and June 25, or;

June 13 and June 26, or;

June 14 and June 27.

So far 10th/23rd is in the lead with three votes, while 7th/21st and 13th/26th have one each. All others were spoiled ballots lol.

58 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Just to clarify as there seems to be a bit of confusion about the original question, the options are:

June 7 and June 21, or;

June 8 and June 22, or;

June 10 and June 23, or;

June 11 and June 25, or;

June 13 and June 26, or;

June 14 and June 27.

So far 10th/23rd is in the lead with three votes, while 7th/21st and 13th/26th have one each. All others were spoiled ballots lol.

😀