Recommend a Band

FuzzyMerkin

Pleeeease - don't just post the name and/or a link. Provide a tiny bit of information, maybe their discography, a word or two on the band members and the style of music and add a song to download, listen to or watch. In other words: Give people a chance to decide whether they want to look into that particular band a bit further.

My recommendation:

Two Gallants

Members:

2, i.e.: Adam Stevens (guitar, harmonica, vocals), Tyson Vogel (drums, vocals)

Style:

folk rock, indie rock

Similar to:

Bob Dylan, Bright Eyes, Decemberists

History:

founded in 2002 in San Francisco

Recommended album:

What The Toll Tells (2006)

Discography (albums):

The Throes (2004)

What the Toll Tells (2006)

Two Gallants (2007)

Youtube Link - "Las Cruces Jail" (live)

Budgie

Formed in 1967, Cardiff, South Glamorgan, Wales.

Original lineup: Burke Shelley - Bass & Vocals, Tony Bourge - Guitar & Ray Phillips - Drums.

First album release was the self-titled "Budgie" in 1971.

They have very interesting song titles, such as "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman", "In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand" & "Hot As A Docker's Armpit".

They sound like a mix of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath with Geddy Lee of Rush on vocals.

The likes of Iron Maiden & Metallica have covered their songs.

http://www.myspace.com/budgiestyle

WOLFSBANE....

formed around 1984 in Tamworth (Midlands UK ) with Blaze Bailey on vocals Jase Edwards on Guitar, Jeff hatley on bass and Steve Ellet on drums.

First CD came out in 1989 Live fast Die Fast but the the 2nd mini cd of All Hell's Breaking Loose... Down at Little Kathy Wilson's Place 1990 is the one to listen too, fast paced Brit metal with for me great guitar playing and Jase's use of the whammy bar is original not just dive bombs or twangy vibrato ! The live shows were great !!

the fans were known as the Howling mad Shitheads !!

Visit My Website for reviews of Wolfsbane gigs ! (this is an old website which I did years ago so sorry for the amateur approach)

"I Ain't No Mountain" - took a while to load so I had it playing in the background while I went back here. Got to check out that site more thoroughly later.

Cool. B)

I find myspace is very useful for discovering bands.

For those of you who haven't heard of her yet. Janis Joplin. She is one of the most powerful people I've heard since listening to Zeppelin.

Brief History:

Born:January 19 1943 in Port Aruther Texas

Died: October 4 1970; died of heroin overdose.

Bands:

Big Brother And The Holding Company

Kosmic Blues Band

Full Tilt Boogie

Style: Blues Rock, I guess you could say Pyschdelic Rock

This thread is a great idea. :)

I'll recommend two, one old and one new.

Humble Pie

Members:

Steve Marriott, Peter Frampton, Dave 'Clem' Clempson, Greg Ridley, Jerry Shirley

Style:

Blues Rock, Hard Rock, Boogie Rock

Similar to:

The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Faces, Free, Savoy Brown

History:

Recording Career: 1969 - 1975 and 1980-1981

Recommended album:

Smokin' (1972)

Other great albums:

Humble Pie (1970)

Performance: Rockin' the Filmore (1971)

Rock On (1971)

youtube link - Humble Pie - C'mon Everybody

Battles

Members:

John Stainer, Ian Williams, Tyondai Braxton, David Konopka

Style:

Experimental, Progessive Rock, a bit weird.

Similar to:

Not sure really.

History:

Formed 2003. Released first full debut album 2007.

Recommended album:

Mirrored (2007)

youtube clip -

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check out the English band called Porcupine Tree. They are phenominal.

Porcupine Tree was born in 1987 as a psychedelic, experimental, and progressive music outlet for the home studio explorations of Steven Wilson. Their very early albums feature a lot of strange effects in the music, such sounds used were pioneered by bands like Pink Floyd etc. Over time Porcupine Tree gradually integrated a lot more rock into there sound. Albums gradually got heavier. The guitars became heavy and powerful yet the melodies of the music were not lost. Steven Wilson's vocal delivery is soft and genuine.

In their early days perhaps they were a little too experimental, but in 2006 they released what is in my opinion their greatest work to date, an album called 'Deadwing'. By this point I would have said that their sound had completely changed.

Steve Wilson's song writing capabilities are fantastic. He will write songs in some very strange time signatures that take you a while to get your head around, but you will be tapping your foot in no time.

I don't like many modern bands but these guys are different than all the other bands that have cropped up. I am going to see them on the 9th of December for the first time and I cannot wait!! :lol:

Check out their website: Porcupine Tree Official Site

Check this video on YouTube:

A song called 'Lazarus' - The third track on their album Deadwing mentioned above

This is just the tip of the iceberg. I fully recommend the album 'Deadwing', look into it!

Richard. :thumbsup:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check out the English band called Porcupine Tree. They are phenominal.

Yeah, very good band, I've got a friend who's a big fan of them. I don't own any of their material myself, but I saw them in 2001 when they supported Hawkwind.

I love this song from their new album:

Fear of a Blank Planet

I actually think this is another version of the song. I don't have their most recent album yet due to funds.

I like the song because it is pacy and yet it keeps a good mix of heavy and melodic parts. The lyrics really hit home. Great tune, great band.

Hey Ady, glad you like them. I think they don't have as much attention as they actually deserve really. BUT I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THE 9TH OF DECEMBER!!!!! :yay: I'll let you know what it was like, if I remember! :lol:

Devon Allman's Honeytribe

http://www.honeytribe.com

http://www.myspace.com/honeytribe

Formed in 2005.

Home: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Band Personnel:

Devon Allman: lead guitar and vocals

George Potsos: bass and backing vocals

Jack Kirkner: Hammond B-3 and keys

Mark Oyarzabal: drums

Current Tour Schedule:

Nov 24 2007 8:00P Tom on the Rocks Ratingen, Germany

Nov 29 2007 8:00P Woetsjtok Brunssum, Netherlands

Dec 2 2007 8:00P Café Wilhelmina Eindhoven, Netherlands

Dec 5 2007 8:00P Astor Theater Deal, United kingdom

Dec 6 2007 8:00P Boom Boom Club Sutton, United Kingdom

Dec 7 2007 8:00P New Bull & Butcher Whetstone, United Kingdom

Dec 8 2007 8:00P Herne Hill Half Moon London, United Kingdom

Dec 9 2007 8:00P The Rydal New Milton (Hants), United Kingdom

Dec 13 2007 8:00P Vaudeville Mews Des Moine, IA

Dec 14 2007 8:00P Shank Hall Milwaukee, WI

Dec 15 2007 8:00P Redstone Room Davenport, IA

Dec 28 2007 8:00P 8 Seconds Indianapolis, IN

Dec 29 2007 8:00P 6 Strings Bloomington, IL

Dec 31 2007 8:00P The Old Rock House St. Louis MO

HONEYTRIBE's music is feel based. Although featuring Devon Allman as the front man, this band is an ensemble cast all the way. Allman has surrounded himself with the A-list of musicians from mid-west America. If you like music with feel and soul by artists like Santana, BB King, The Dead, ZZ Top, The Black Crowes, the Stones, etc ....you will have a love affair with HONEYTRIBE. Real deal timeless feel good music from the soul, for the soul. Rounding out HONEYTRIBE is arguably the most kick ass group of cats in the Mid-West. Bass player George Potsos has played all over the world and Jack Kirkner who many know as the Hammond B3 / piano player from the mid-west Grateful Dead tribute band "the Schwag". In drummer, Mark Oyarzabal, Devon has his right hand man, partner in crime and a slammin, singin, Puerto Rican beat master. The synergy of this band on stage is something to behold. Shifting from killer old blues songs to their own material, this is a band that will command attention. From straight up kick you in the teeth blues, HoneyTribe rides an array of influences and musical styles. This band has something for all feel-based music lovers. If you join any Tribe in today's twisted world ...make sure it's HONEYTRIBE.

I love this song from their new album:

Fear of a Blank Planet

I actually think this is another version of the song. I don't have their most recent album yet due to funds.

I like the song because it is pacy and yet it keeps a good mix of heavy and melodic parts. The lyrics really hit home. Great tune, great band.

Good stuff, great video too!

Hey Ady, glad you like them. I think they don't have as much attention as they actually deserve really. BUT I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THE 9TH OF DECEMBER!!!!! :yay: I'll let you know what it was like, if I remember! :lol:

Okay! :D

How about......

The Ozric Tentacles..........apparantly Roger Waters son Harry is the keyboard player. Hippy spacey stuff, lots of improvisation........great musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtjT8mOQYM...feature=related

Would reccomend Erpland and Jurassic Shift.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erpland-Jurassic-S...0752&sr=8-3

How about......

The Ozric Tentacles..........apparantly Roger Waters son Harry is the keyboard player. Hippy spacey stuff, lots of improvisation........great musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CtjT8mOQYM...feature=related

Would reccomend Erpland and Jurassic Shift.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erpland-Jurassic-S...0752&sr=8-3

I'm always hesitant to try bands where the main component is the offspring of a famous musician. It always makes me question why they are making music/signed.

I'm always hesitant to try bands where the main component is the offspring of a famous musician. It always makes me question why they are making music/signed.

Harry Waters isn't the main component of Ozric Tentacles. He only recently joined them and isn't an official member as far as I know. Ozrics have been going since 1984 and have released 29 albums to date.

I only own a couple of their albums, but have seen them live many times. I think one of those times was when they were supporting Hawkwind, the same day that I saw Porcupine Tree.

Harry Waters isn't the main component of Ozric Tentacles. He only recently joined them and isn't an official member as far as I know. Ozrics have been going since 1984 and have released 29 albums to date.

I only own a couple of their albums, but have seen them live many times. I think one of those times was when they were supporting Hawkwind, the same day that I saw Porcupine Tree.

Fair enough.

I think my brother's going to that gig...where is it at?

I know he's going to see them soon but I can't remember exactly what date it was on...

Here's a band I love: Far From The Dance

They're like an electro-indie band from Huddersfield. I've seen 'em live twice now, upstairs in one of Lancaster's two really rather rock n' roll pubs, and I've never seen the place so energised as it is when they play.

Their songs and their sound are awesome, they're all brilliant players, and the singer has a great voice.

They're so much better than most signed bands out there now it baffles me why they aren't huge.

I can't wait to see 'em again, they're meant to be coming back soon.

And they play in Manchester quite often but I haven't had the chance to get to one of those yet.

Anyway...yeah...highly recommended by me, they're brilliant.

Also, Maps. One of the lesser-known acts that was nominated for this year's Mercury Music Prize. The brains behind it is this one guy called James but live (they're awesome live) he gets a whole band in. The album We Can Create is brilliant. Check out the track "You Don't Know Her Name" on the MySpace link...it's my favourite. Beautiful.

I recomend everyone to check out:

Quicksilver Messenger Service

Members:

Dino Valente, John Cipollina, Gary Duncan, David Freiberg, Greg Elmore

Style:

Psych, Folk, Blues, Rock

Similar to:

Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Doors, Moby Grape

History:

Formed in 1965. Released their debut 1968 and recorded several albums until they disbanded in 1973. Got back together in 1975 and released another album.

Recommended album:

Quicksilver Messenger Service (1968)

Other great albums:

Happy Trails (1969)

Just For Love (1971)

Quicksilver (1971)

For full discography and biography, go HERE

quicksilvermessengerservice1.jpg

For those of you who haven't heard of her yet. Janis Joplin. She is one of the most powerful people I've heard since listening to Zeppelin.

Brief History:

Born:January 19 1943 in Port Aruther Texas

Died: October 4 1970; died of heroin overdose.

Bands:

Big Brother And The Holding Company

Kosmic Blues Band

Full Tilt Boogie

Style: Blues Rock, I guess you could say Pyschdelic Rock

This thread is a great idea. :)

Ahhhhhh :) JJ....one of my first loves together with Grace Slick of Jefferso Airplane.....love her songs. Half Moon's my fave! :)

JANISLIVEII.jpg

Archived