Recommend a Band

FuzzyMerkin

GRATEFUL DEAD

Grateful Dead was an American rock band formed in 1965 in San Francisco, California.[1] The band was known for its unique and eclectic style, which fused elements of rock, folk, bluegrass, blues, country, jazz, psychedelia, space music[2][3] and gospel—and for live performances of long musical improvisation.[1][4] In particular, the band frequently made use of "long jams"—whereby Jerry Garcia would spend lengthy periods engaging in rock lead guitar solos that evoked various "depth moods." Other bands utilized long improvisational jams, but "The Dead" took it to extremes. "Their music," Lenny Kaye wrote, "touches on ground that most other groups don't even know exists."[5]

The Grateful Dead's fans, some of whom followed the band from concert to concert for years, were known as Deadheads and were renowned for their dedication to the band's music.[1][4] Many followers referred to the band simply as "the Dead".

Their musical influences varied widely, and in concert or on record album one can hear psychedelic rock (in the late sixties), the blues, rock nuggets, country-western, bluegrass, country-rock, and although they rarely played jazz music, the band certainly borrowed for their music the kind of long improvisatory sequences that jazz artists such as Charles Mingus and John Coltrane perfected in the 1950s. These various influences were distilled into a diverse and psychedelic whole that made the Grateful Dead "the pioneering Godfathers of the jam band world."[6]

Check out their discography here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grateful_Dead_discography

EARL GREYHOUND

Band Website

earlgreyhound.com

Band Members

Matt Whyte (guitar and voice)

Kamara Thomas (bass and voice)

Big Ricc Sheridan (drums)

"They tear through acrobatic fills with immodest aplomb. More than acrobatic, the flourishes come unannounced and at paralyzing volume. Rhythmic intelligence itself isn't enough to melt this much face. Matt Whyte's ballsy vocals, the never-cheated transitions, the sly way the song switches to swung-feel for a finale and then quotes "Dig a Pony"-- that's the stuff that makes the flames extra fiery."

–Pitchfork Media

Whether or not Earl Greyhound are the Next Big Thing is irrelevant—watching them will convince you that they are.

–The New Yorker

"This band can crush your favorite band...As heavy as Led Zeppelin, but way less obnoxious, Earl Greyhound update traditional hard rock by leaving out the crotch-happy swagger, with terrific results. Fronted by excitable guitarist Matt Whyte, the New York trio seem happiest when they're trying to simulate an earthquake on the pounding "S.O.S.," though even the Beatles-esque "Good" produces a wicked rumble. For that, credit rude drummer Ricc Sheridan, who cheerfully tries to demolish each song, regardless of style."

–SPIN Magazine (4 Stars)

"A roadhouse riff-rock monster so unbelievably brawny it sounds like it's crushing beer kegs on its forehead."

–Blender

"You can tell by the way Earl Greyhound pistol-whip the middle of Monkey in chopped-up meter, Black Dog style, that they are here to get the Led out."

–Rolling Stone

Enjoy the ride! B)

I'll second that. All of his recordings are available on a set called "the Complete Recordings of Robert Johnson." Go check it out if you haven't yet.

:) I have that same collection. Cost me about £3! Crossroad Blues is amazing.

For those of you who haven't heard of her yet. Janis Joplin. She is one of the most powerful people I've heard since listening to Zeppelin.

I haven't listened to Janis in a while but that's soon to change - thanks for reminding me of her! :)

I second this ! :thumbsup:

Thirded. The Black Keys are ace! B)

I love Janis, she could sing Grace right off the stage. Not that I don't like Jefferson Airplane, but Janis is amazing and untouchable. I don't like to compare her to Zeppelin, it isn't fair to the musical judges in my head. They get upset. :lol:

I recomend everyone to check out:

Quicksilver Messenger Service

Members:

Dino Valente, John Cipollina, Gary Duncan, David Freiberg, Greg Elmore

Style:

Psych, Folk, Blues, Rock

Similar to:

Jefferson Airplane, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Doors, Moby Grape

History:

Formed in 1965. Released their debut 1968 and recorded several albums until they disbanded in 1973. Got back together in 1975 and released another album.

Recommended album:

Quicksilver Messenger Service (1968)

Other great albums:

Happy Trails (1969)

Just For Love (1971)

Quicksilver (1971)

For full discography and biography, go HERE

quicksilvermessengerservice1.jpg

Oh Yeah.

They are amazing. Very trippy-acidish. :D

A Strange Journey of Zep

I was born 71 my parents Zep fans.

I rebelled listening to Bach, Beethoven when I was 12 my dad turned me on to Zep II.

When I was 17 saw the Cure and loved their stuff. My dad hated it all but the Song Lullaby. Went with the parents to see Page/Plant with Porl Thompson from The Cure and watched them play Lullaby live in Philadelphia, pure magick. I also go turned on to Portishead and my wife is English, I moved to England and saw the Strange Sensations in Bristol which had Porl and the backing band for Portishead.

So it seems the band of the 70's for me Zep

The 80's The Cure

The 90's Portishead

All meeting in one small hall.

So some bands to check out .

Ryan Adams (If you don't know, you need to know)

Mixing the heartfelt angst of a singer/songwriter with the cocky brashness of a garage rocker, Ryan Adams is at once one of the few artists to emerge from the alt-country scene to achieve mainstream commercial success and the one who most strongly refused to be defined by the genre, leaping from one spot to another stylistically as he follows his increasingly prolific muse.

Ryan Adams "Miss Sunflower" Rare Un-Released Song

Ryan Adams "Everybody Knows" Live

Ryan Adams "These Girls" Live

Get this album:

2425483.jpg

They're not exactly obscure, but I don't believe people give them the props or the spin time they deserve. I'm no dance music fan, but that album is AMAZING. Over two hours of amazing stuff from the band's most ingenious and productive period.

Archived