Random Thoughts. The Return.

Strider

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I'll ask you again:  if China helped install an anti-American government in Mexico and encouraged it to seek a military alliance with them (along with subsidizing cartel violence across the border, much like the US supported real neo-Nazi groups in the Ukraine), how do you think the US would react?  

I get your point but China is probably not the best country to use in your hypothetical example.  Our pro-China politicians would probably just try to minimize the threat in every way possible.  Look at the current border crisis and how it's being ignored while massive amounts of Chinese fentanyl come across.  Look at how they tried to hush up and declare as loons anyone trying to report on the possibility of the Wuhan lab leak theory.  Fang fang banging Swalwell still sits on the House Intelligence Committee for chrissakes.  Hate to see what would happen if they decide to invade Tawain, especially with Beijing Biden's puppet handlers running the show.

Edited by cryingbluerain

I was never a big Phil Collins fan (although I always admired his talent), but this is just heart breaking.  God bless you Phil!

Phil Collins remains seated during Berlin concert months after revealing he can no longer play the drums

Melissa Roberto
Tue, March 8, 2022, 11:56 AM·3 min readcbdf4a883084a9491bdca7eea8caba52
815016a278f6dad9175428d48e156982
1 / 2

Phil Collins remains seated during Berlin concert months after revealing he can no longer play the drums

Phil Collins hit the stage in Berlin, Germany on Monday night with his Genesis bandmates as one of the stops on their current tour.

The singer, who is 71, joined bandmates Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks. While he entertained with his vocals, concertgoers were reminded of his declining health as he remained seated in a chair throughout the performance.

Photos from the band's stop in Berlin at the Mercedez Benz Arena showed a glimpse at his performance restrictions, just months after he revealed he can no longer play the drums.

In one photo, the "In the Air Tonight" performer was seen sitting in a chair and holding on to his microphone stand.

24 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

"The White Album" is in that league.....

The White Album is full of filler, IMO. You could pare it down to one incredible LP. The problem with double albums is that a lot of them are just self-indulgent and could do with some editing, including The Wall.

Just now, Electrophile said:

The White Album is full of filler, IMO. You could pare it down to one incredible LP. The problem with double albums is that a lot of them are just self-indulgent and could do with some editing, including The Wall.

Yea, I know a lot of people feel that way.  But even Beatles "filler" songs are IMHO leaps and bounds better that most bands "A' material.

1 minute ago, Stryder1978 said:

Yea, I know a lot of people feel that way.  But even Beatles "filler" songs are IMHO leaps and bounds better that most bands "A' material.

I agree. The White Album feels, at times, like four mini solo albums cobbled together to make one group effort.

32 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

Thank you, I always believed this and no, the Beatles fillers are shitty, nonsense, avante garde bullshit which is mostly unlistenable. Lennon should have saved that artsy noise for his albums with Yoko as half of the White Album sounds just like Yoko Ono outtakes.

If they would have cut out all the crap and made a single album, it would have been their best album.

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I was wondering what's the greatest double-album of all time, aside from the obvious answer of Graffiti...

The first two I thought of were Sign O the Times and The Wall....

Wheels Of Fire

4 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Thank you, I always believed this and no, the Beatles fillers are shitty, nonsense, avante garde bullshit which is mostly unlistenable. Lennon should have saved that artsy noise for his albums with Yoko as half of the White Album sounds just like Yoko Ono outtakes.

If they would have cut out all the crap and made a single album, it would have been their best album.

Rolling Stone magazine (the know it-alls of music and culture) has it at # 1. 

6 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I was wondering what's the greatest double-album of all time, aside from the obvious answer of Graffiti...

The first two I thought of were Sign O the Times and The Wall....

Blonde on Blonde. The White Album. Electric Ladyland. Exile on Main St. Sign O' the Times. All in the conversation with Physical Graffiti. The Wall...not so much.

Edited by Strider

The only double lps I listen to with any regularity are Electric Ladyland and Trout Mask Replica. And of course PG. I think the White Album is hugely popular because it's just so damn fun (speaking to a lot of filler tracks here). Like putting on an old Little Richard album or something. Bulletproof? Nah. "Half killer, half filler" for sure. I have to be in the right mood for it, myself. But I get why it would be a favorite for a lot of people.

I also think the argument could be made that part of its popularity is because of it's "eff it, it's just rock and roll" kitchen sink vibe. Whereas earlier Beatles' records are like well-curated masterpieces where you know they really thought over every little detail this one feels looser and in a sense more relatable. More human. Like - "this is us, warts and all". That's my take, anyway.

Edited by 1975NQ

28 minutes ago, redrum said:

Try these. I really like the 'organy' sound.  I'm still experimenting and hope to come up with something longer. 

https://freesound.org/people/tubbers/sounds/623183/

https://freesound.org/people/tubbers/sounds/623562/

WoW!!  really cool sound on both!   I'm sure you know who Robert Fripp is? He does a lot of that kind of stuff with his electronics.

5 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Therefore defeating the purpose of a double-album. I mean, "Boogie with Stu" would not have worked on a single album but as part of a double LP, it has its charm and place.

The whole point of a double album is for a band to spread out and try anything goofiness...the sprawl is part of the fun of the journey.