Newspapers

Aquamarine

Websites may save trees, but when I was subscribed to the LA Times I felt more like I was part of the fabric of society.

...fucking fucker, dont throw the fucking paper where the fucking sprinkers are!!!!!

good times.

Our newspaper is better used as our dog's toilet, so we don't read it. However, we do get USA Today, the Chicago Tribune and the New York Times delivered. So, we do read newspapers in our house. I'm more of a news magazine kind of person, seeing as I read Time, Newsweek and New York Magazine.

I get most of my news online from news and newspaper sites, although I occasionally pick up the Sunday paper and read several weekly news magazines. It great to be able to check global news sources online. I'm usually getting caught up on news during work breaks or in between other things so it's where and when I can. I don't pay much attention to TV news. I can't respect a news source where Britney is a more important story than Kenya.

The only time I mess with hard copy papers is if I'm interested in the coupons or ads in the Sunday paper, and that's once in a very great while that I take the time and remember to get after it. I typically get my news online. Never really have been all that attached to the paper version.

OK, this would be better as a poll but as it's not a Zep topic--

what I'm interested in is, do you still read (hard-copy) newspapers? Or do you get your news from TV or online, or on the radio? Or not at all?

I can't face the day without my actual, paper, hard-copy newspaper, but I seem to be in a minority, judging from the way circulations are dwindling.

Any thoughts?

I get most of my national and international news from sources other than newspapers (ie,online and radio), but I do still read print newspapers with some frequency.. mostly for local news stories.

Aqua,.. you might be interested in the HBO cop drama *The Wire*. It's a great show and this season, which just started, a main theme in the show is the decline of the newspaper industry. The show will be taking a ruthless look at the corporate influence and profit-driven bottom-line agenda that has resulted in the quality crash of the newspaper industry. As you might guess from the show's title, a main theme in the show is law enforcement's use of wiretapping; in this case, in the course of trying to bust Baltimore drug dealers and racketeers. Great show. Well written, awesomely acted by a stellar cast, and thought provoking, riveting storylines.

[snippet from the above link]

"The fifth and final season of 'The Wire' centers on the media's role in addressing - or failing to address - the fundamental political, economic and social realities depicted over the course of the series, while also resolving storylines of the numerous characters woven throughout the narrative arc of the show.

Explains series creator David Simon, "It made sense to finish 'The Wire' with this reflection on the state of the media, as all the other attendant problems of the American city depicted in the previous four seasons will not be solved until the depth and range of those problems is first acknowledged. And that won't happen without an intelligent, aggressive and well-funded press."

This season of 'The Wire' is based in large part on Simon's experiences in 13 years at The Baltimore Sun. Simon decries recent trends in the newspaper industry that have conspired to make high-end journalism vulnerable: out-of-town chain ownership, an economic climate in which the share price of media companies matters more to industry leaders than the product itself, and a newsroom culture in which prizes, personal ambition and the cult of the "impact" story has replaced consistent and detailed coverage of complex issues as the primary goal. "

I get most of my national and international news from sources other than newspapers (ie,online and radio), but I do still read print newspapers with some frequency.. mostly for local news stories.

Aqua,.. you might be interested in the HBO cop drama *The Wire*.

....filmed entirely on location in Baltimore,Maryland......

Hon. B)

Archived